CHEAP TABLETS FOR TRAVEL???

I recently went the route of a refurb Ipad from the Apple Store. The 16GB Gen2 run $319, and the ipad Mini refurb is $279. Free shipping. It looked absolutely brand new when I received it. Also as full warranty (same as new) and it also says new battery and outer shell.

My wife recently picked up 2 iphone 3g for $20 a piece. I don't have any intention of using them as phones, just pop in an expired att sim card and you've got an ipod touch.

Any modern smart phone with a MSRP of more than $50 surely has Wi-fi. No need to use a wireless phone network.

Your phone plan does allow you to use modern phones, doesn't it?
Except I have no intentions of ever letting the traveling unit ever interface with my home network. Just with yahoo for news and to my "toss away" travel email account while we are traveling. Considering it will have been in Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc., the odds of getting hacked/bugged are not acceptable. I want a stand-alone unit so there is clear separation.

Cheap, for example, the $50-100 tablets, JUNK! For the most part, you will need to spend north of $100 to get a decent tablet. Otherwise you are just throwing away your money. The cheap ones are so bad you can't really do anything on them, they are so dern slow.

Nook, kindle, Nexus 7 are good tablets. Those are in the $150-200 range. There might be something slightly cheaper out there that would do the trick.

I agree I took my Nexus 7 to Rome and Paris and the GPS alone was worth the $200. I had no problems finding hot spots so I was connected and not starved for English news.

I have used my Nexus 7 for GPS as well. There is a free app for that. I wish it had a back camera so that I could use the satellite locator (dishpointer) with it. I have an iphone 3 (I only use it for wifi) that I tried to put dishpointer on and it said that it was not compatable due to not having gyro or something like that.

Yes dishpointer would be nice but then I would have buy a ladder. I saw an Android forum that took the Nexus 7 apart and they have what looks like a spot for a back camera.

In Europe I put the addresses I wanted to go to in my favorites on Google maps and just took a quick look when I got out of the Metro to make sure I was walking in the right direction.

Here's a deal on a 250gb tablet for $60. From the reviews this is best used as a big honking mp3 player. This is a woot off so it expires when they sell out. Read the reviews. I'm not really recommending it. I'd never heard of a 250gb tablet so I'm posting it mostly for curiosity's sake.

I need to find a light bulb icon to paste in here (or one of me smacking my forehead). You are 1,000% correct - a used smartphone would be rugged enough and the "phone" section doesn't need to be activated in order to use it as a WI-FI device for browsing and Gmail! Perfect solution!!!!

:doh: :eureka :doh:

Not for nothing, and I don't know what you got, or paid, but I'd imagine you could have gotten a used nexus or fire for not much more than you paid, and would have had a far superior device and experience.

If what you got suffices though, that's what matters and congrats.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You guys have any opinions on a lightly used LG Nitro HD P930 with a 16GB micro SanDisk?

Looks like it was AT&T - but remember I want it just for the Wi-Fi mail/browser while traveling. Will not be using the phone side at all.

Looks like I might be able to score 2 for $50 each. I have them here to evaluate - anything special to look for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts