CHICAGO METRO AREA VOOM

OK I have had enough with the snow blockage. Last Wednesday we had no satellite all day and now last night we lost sat while it was snowing. So I got intouch with Voom to get evaulated for the larger dish and off air antenna. Have anyone else in Chicago complained about the snow fade?? I went through 3 years of snow with Dish Network and had no issues.. So if this continues I will be forced to change.. Snow and Chicagoland go hand in hand.

Does anyone have the 24" dish, and how does it handle the snow?

cmslick3 said:
OK I have had enough with the snow blockage. Last Wednesday we had no satellite all day and now last night we lost sat while it was snowing. So I got intouch with Voom to get evaulated for the larger dish and off air antenna. Have anyone else in Chicago complained about the snow fade?? I went through 3 years of snow with Dish Network and had no issues.. So if this continues I will be forced to change.. Snow and Chicagoland go hand in hand.

"A Completely happy Voomer since March 2004!!" shouldn't be saying such phrases like "Dish had no issues... I will be forced to change...

I didn't have any issues on my 18' dish over the thanksgiving snow show or with the snow we got lastnight. I used to have horrible rain fade but swapped out my LNB and repeaked my dish myself and have not had an issue sense.

SO what I'm not allowed to be upset at getting nothing?? I guess I should change my signature to say "completely happy until it snows"?? would that be ok with you???

Gesh....

cmslick3 said:

Well, My problem with the snow last week was a small amount of ice/snow on the LNB; when I brushed it off, picture came right back immediately...I have the 18" dish..
When I had DTV; I had to sweep the deep snow off my dish, or I would get zero signal also; time will tell how much snow the VOOM dish can handle.
Hopefully, you guys had your dishes mounted low enough that a long broom will be enough to get the snow off it; if its on your roof, I bet you will have problems this winter...

Mine is accessable with a broom but it's not a buildup issue as it was clean both times. Perhaps it's a crudy LNBF or dish may be off but when i'm normally at 95% signal without snow and 65% with snow it leads me to believe higher gain is the answer.

we'll find out next week what the doctor orders..

yeah, your LNB may be bad; although, its weird how strong your signal is normally; I am at 97 normally with the signal; also, since I got them to upgrade my OTA, most locals are around 95...

Too bad So sad

here is my story with V(D)OOM!
I placed my order with VOOM rep. last week and my install date was set on Dec. 2nd, but I got call from the installer (ADANT Wireless) the night before that they have difficulty due to their tech guys was sick that's means they can't come to install the VOOM for me. So I called VOOM for new appointment they set me up on for tomorrow Dec. 4th witch it ok just only 2 more days to wait. And this afternoon I got phone call from ADANT again that they can't come to install again...same reason again... but this time I got mad real bad because of I will have no TV for this weekend.. my kids will ask for their cartoon and I will have no NFL... so I call VOOM... God! the next one they will have the installer available is Dec. 27th witch it after Chrismas... and that week I will be out of town and back after NewYear... so I decided to drop VOOM and think about Dish Network... I like to try VOOM but they turned me down like this... I think I will not come back again.... maybe after they add more HD channels I might be rethinking! Is any body have any suggestion with other satellite I will go to try next... Dish Network or DirecTV? thanks.... by the way I live in Huntley IL

Voom install

I have a simular story. I signed up on the 5th and was told the install would be on the 13th. Adent Wireless called Sat the 11th and said they are over booked 20 to 30 installs a day. I had to call Voom again and they also sceduled me for the 27th. Guess I`ll have to wait and see.
Is there any thing I should insist on for the install.
? I have read in other post in this site that a upgrade in the antenna to a 7082p is a must for clear reception of all chanels. I live in Alsip about 15 miles out in southwest subs. Thamks

Finally gave up on VOOM

After last post I got call from VOOM Customer services that inform me that my install date was on Dec. 18th witch it last saturday. than i decided to gave voom one more chance. On Friday the day before the install date I was waiting for the phone call the ADANT for comfirmation on the installation. untill 3PM no phone call and I made a phone call to VOOM to make sure they will come to install the voom this time... they(voom) said they usually call if they not make it.. if no call thatl's means they will come... I was happy at that moment... I had to call to cancel my doctor appoinment that on Saturday morning... just to wait for ADANT to come and install my dish...
4PM on friday .... the bad news was start it... ADANT called with the same bull Sh*t thing... I not even said a word... just hang up and upset as usual... call Comcast to see theire special witch it very good deal right now... $49.99 for Platinum degital package for 1 year with mo contract... plus Free DVR/HDTV box up to 3 boxes.. but I took 2 ... free Installation with next day installation...the guys from Comcast came yesterday for Installed and get it done within 2 hours.. now I had comcast HDTV with HBD and Showtime for that price... F**k VOOM... I am not even call for cancel the Service I'll let them wonder why my account is still pending... I already cancel my Credit card acount that I used with VOOM... no way they can charge me ...
All I have to do now just enjoy my TV with Comcast HDTV and see VOOM go down to the end... I give them 2 years the most...

Well, I'm tired of not getting CBS-HD way out here, so I put a call into Voom to upgrade me to a bigger antenna. They say they'll send a tech out to assess the situation on Jan 3rd... We'll see what happens!

Well, I got a better outdoor antenna a few months ago, and now get ALL the locals PERFECTLY, INCLUDING CBS; make sure you talk to Installs BEFORE they come, man, and sweet talk them into bringing the upgraded antenna with them, so you can get the guy to install it while he is there, and avoid another appt;

Here is Adant's email address if you want to send them an email re: your appt ahead of time...trust me, if you sweet talk them, they will bring and install the antenna you need the first time!
adantsat@aol.com

good luck!

Good Install

Here is what I did to avoid the install hassle. After the first canceled appointment from Adent I emailed Wilt and he said he would try and help. He rescheduled the install with Virgin Sat. They showed up on time, the 17th and did a good job in installing 3 receivers and the antenna. I did have a problem with 2 out of 3 receivers and a call to Voom set up a replacement for the 24th. Virgin wanted to come out on the 23rd but could not make it and did call. We set up another date on the 27th and he showed up with 2 new receivers, switched them and I am getting good reception on all channels. I do have problems with caller id and I hope Voom gets that fixed soon. Also on the 24th I got a call from Adent because he never got notified about my install and said he wouldn`t make it on the 27th which was the original rescheduled install form the 13th before my email. If you are waiting for a install from Voom and are set up with Adent, I suggest you email Wilt and ask to switch installers. I have a Mits 52825 and am getting great results with Voom I hope the new programing in March adds more HD channels because there is no comparison in PQ between SD and HD

Chicago Metro Area VOOMers... A note about WGN.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=278654&posted=1#post278654

I've got this from Voom Engineers regarding WGN.

I spoke to Craig Beardsley - System Engineer at WGN.

Their PSIP generator "crashed hard" yesterday and they are working on getting everything back on line. They needed to change PIDs and Program Service #s with the new software - this seems to have caused reception problems with various types of receivers, not just VOOM. I am now trying to get the proper engineering discussion to happen so we can figure out who needs to do what.

So, seems the upgrade to 733 was just coincidental, consistent with my understanding that there are zero OTA changes between 726 and 733.

My suggestion to all you Chicago voomer that are having trouble with Adant Wireless is to email bcardwell@installs.com
that is the area field manager see what he can do about all of these missed appointments by Adant

wase4711 said:
Well, I got a better outdoor antenna a few months ago, and now get ALL the locals PERFECTLY, INCLUDING CBS; make sure you talk to Installs BEFORE they come, man, and sweet talk them into bringing the upgraded antenna with them, so you can get the guy to install it while he is there, and avoid another appt;

Here is Adant's email address if you want to send them an email re: your appt ahead of time...trust me, if you sweet talk them, they will bring and install the antenna you need the first time!
adantsat@aol.com

good luck!
I had to reschedule my antenna upgrade because I couldn't get the day off of work.

Wase, where are you located? How far out from the city are you?

Hey Funky Boss;

I live in the Downers Grove area, about 25 miles southwest of downtown...

The is no doubt you will have the same success if you put a REAL outdoor antenna on your house.....I get signal strength of 92-99 on ALL LOCALS, EVEN CBS!!!
Hope they fix the WGN Problem soon...

Hope that helps..

wase4711 said:
Hey Funky Boss;

I live in the Downers Grove area, about 25 miles southwest of downtown...

The is no doubt you will have the same success if you put a REAL outdoor antenna on your house.....I get signal strength of 92-99 on ALL LOCALS, EVEN CBS!!!
Hope they fix the WGN Problem soon...

Hope that helps..
Cool. Which antenna did they put up for you?

Well, I am not sure of the exact Model Number, but its a Winegard, and it was the one rated for 20-40 mile reception....I think it was model 4053....