Choice of coax cable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A DiSEqC switch typically only powers the selected port. If there is only a DiSEqC switch and a single LNB or LNBF, it is likely within the STBs rating. Check the LNB manufacturers specs against the measured draw on a vertical transponder. Many meters and some STBs display the current draw. I don't recall the Amiko STBs displaying current readings.

I haven't even seen the connectors that work with the larger cable.

In the grand scheme, it may be cheaper to use RG-11 if RG6 isn't up to the task.

How far of a distance do you need before RG 11 or 7 is needed. Rg 11 is a much thinker cable so having cats around the house would this be a good way to cable a house?

RG11 might be best for long distances, to cut line losses. It’s use inside a home is of little value.

You have coax laying around the house, not fished thru walls? And nothing else to interest your felines?

Reactions: MosFET77
How far of a distance do you need before RG 11 or 7 is needed. Rg 11 is a much thinker cable so having cats around the house would this be a good way to cable a house?
This thread isn't about cabling a home. It is about cabling an FTA dish.

Unless your house needs interior runs in excess of 200 feet, RG6 is probably just fine. The larger cables may not be able to make the bends and going below the allowable bend radius will really mess up the transmission properties. Some RG7 that I found online had a bend radius equal to the width of a 2x4 so wall fishing/hiding could be problematic. RG11 has a 4-1/2" bend radius. Direct Burial RG6 would be pretty bulletproof but really hard to work with.

If you can't get rid of the cats, try painting the cable with a hot pepper sauce. There are also some commercial organic sprays that impart a bad taste (like sour apples) to whatever you spray them on.

these are the connectors i use for rg7 and the tool i use to compress them and both are made by PPC. i dont really use rg7 much at all anymore only if its already there and laid for me. i use rg11 for runs over 175 ft but thats just me so...

Attachments

• ppc rg7.jpg
    ppc rg7.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Compression tool.jpg
    Compression tool.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 126
I have some pretty long runs of RG6 and been pretty happy with Belden 1694a

What manufacturer labels feedline as RG-7? I believe I have not heard of that type. I've worked with lots of RG-8 (50 ohm) and of course RG-6 (75 ohm)...

What manufacturer labels feedline as RG-7?
Every manufacturer who makes RG7 labels it as RG7.

It is not particularly popular in homes as it is designed for larger scale installations. It seems particularly popular in the Middle East and Asia and there appears to be a Military Specification for it.

I see a couple of Chinese distributors have this RG7 listed to sell, but no indication of manufacturer, and specs seem to vary between the sellers. RG-11 cable from Belden/Commscope is quite expensive so my guess is this is a cheap substitution and who knows what the quality control is like.

Every manufacturer who makes RG7 labels it as RG7.

I am sure may, but I haven't found one yet. :)

I am sure may, but I haven't found one yet. :)
Just because you didn't look very hard doesn't mean something doesn't exist.

There are some sellers blowing out CommScope branded RG7 on e-bay and if you look closely, PPC sells RG7 connectors as pictured above in IntelPennny4's post.

If the specifications vary, it is most likely because you're looking at different shield configurations. There appear to be at least three shield configurations and each is going to have a different OD.

In the big picture, RG7 is expensive, has become hard to get and presents difficult installation issues with a large bend radius and perhaps some new tooling (for stripping at the very least). Where's the win? RG7 outperforms at the low end of the TV frequency spectrum but few in the US are actively using those lower frequencies.

If you want to be able to brag that you're using something so obscure, rest assured that nobody will be impressed. :no

Reactions: IntelPennny4
Yes one of the retailers says tri-shield so there are likely variations.

I do have a couple runs of RG11 running from the house to the dishes only because friend of mine had a roll he wanted to get rid of. Used the PPC connectors in
IntelPennny4's post above (likely the same compression tool), they are awesome connectors, easy to install and compress, and of course... work. Much simpler than the Amphenol crimp connectors we used in the past.
Nothing to brag about anything I have or use here!

Reactions: IntelPennny4
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)