Edision Closed Captions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not a limitation of the Mio or any other Enigma2 based STB. I am not aware of any Enigma2 development for EIA-608 or 708 captioning.

It should be easy enough to provide the E2 tables to enable, but most E2 users do have these formats in use in their regions. Unfortunately, EIA-608 and 708 are mainly used in North America and no user has contributed EIA-608 or 708 support to the Enigma2 source.

An option, stream the Mio to a device running VLC, PotPlayer, TS Reader, etc and they will provide Closed Caption overlay.

Sometimes it's better for a less intrusive experience to have a silent TV with closed captioning visible.

I tried using webif with Potplayer. Closed captioning worked. I then connected the PC via HDMI back to the TV and I could view the closed captions on my big screen.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: KE4EST and FTA4PA
...and there's more!

Potplayer allows closed captions to be fed to a translation app. Suddenly, I had English captions for a French program. It allows you to watch a program in a foreign language and understand it.

Is it working reliably for you?
I tested it tonight on CFCF (CTV Montreal) with translation to French and it worked briefly, then I changed channel and after that I could not get it to translate anything, the "translation" was always in English no matter what language I selected

I also tried with Ici Télé Montréal, translating French to English or German, and the "translated" subtitle remained in French. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

When I tried using it with Ici Tele Montreal, it worked...for about a minute or two. I was seeing English subtitles on a French language show. But then the subtitles changed back to French. No matter what I tried after, I couldn't get English subtitles to appear again.

That was using Google to translate. I tried other translation tools but they never worked. I suspect we woild need to involve a Linux guru to solve this.

When I tried using it with Ici Tele Montreal, it worked...for about a minute or two. I was seeing English subtitles on a French language show. But then the subtitles changed back to French. No matter what I tried after, I couldn't get English subtitles to appear again.

That was using Google to translate. I tried other translation tools but they never worked. I suspect we woild need to involve a Linux guru to solve this.

yep that's exactly what it did for me too. I was wondering if maybe the translation providers were not liking the repeated requests, but then I guess it would work when switching to another provider, and we both saw that it didn't.
the idea is very cool though, I wish VLC would implement this too (and that it would work)!

I contacted Potplayer Support. They indicated two things:
1) Subtitles must be Text. (not a problem)
2) Subtitle translation is a paid service. An API key must be obtained by purchasing it from a text translation service such as Google or Microsoft, for example.

You enter the API key by clicking the Login button in the Potplayer subtitle translation window:
Potplayer API.jpg

I tried to search for a free trial API key. The best I could find was a free trial that required a credit card up front. I won't do this.

I am still searching for a free API key that doesn't require a credit card.

But still prefer real built in Closed Captioning software installed in Edison reciever.

I am not a computer programmer, but I wish someone has the skills on Edison's OS system. :hungry

Just saying that's all.:):hatsoff

I agree. It's actually hard to understand a new TV device coming to market without CC capability. This is old technology and exists in my 10 -year old TV and my old Geosatpro microHD. This is an oversight in the list of Edision features.

However, CC translation is different. This requires a sophisticated online translation engine. The technology exists now (probably incorporates AI) so it may be reasonable for this to be fee-based. But marketers all know the way you sell any software nowadays is you allow some form of free access. This gains users, they and associates become hooked if they actually need the service, and eventually they buy.

Reactions: N5XZS
The primary issue with imported FTA STBs not including CC is mainly due to the US embracing protocols which do not align with standards used by the majority in the rest of the world. North American FTA STB sales account for a small fraction of a percent of worldwide sales. Captioning defined in the DVB standard and used in other parts of the world are supported in the open source Enigma2 OS, because the users developed it.

If EIA-608 and EIA-708 CC Enigma2 users want CC, join a development group and build the databases. EIA-608 and 708 support is not required for general FTA distribution in NA and very infrequently requested. The only way that CC will be integrated in E2 will be by a group of hobbyists, who are dedicated to making it happen.

I spent many, many, many hours developing CC for SOC STBs prior to the microHD and it was ported to that platform, as it used the same family chipset.

The CC was implented primarily for a large DTH network, which sold 5,000 to 10,000 systems each year. Without the requirement to provide CC and the funding for R&D support by that level of sales, the CC development would not have occured. As a business decision, I would have never been able to invest the development time on an appliance STB if the only market was for the hobbyist FTA market. The E2 market is a subset of the FTA hobbyists and even more niche.

I beleive the only current consumer STB to offer CC is the GSP3500 and that is only due to the DTH requirement and earlier development.

The idea of displaying translated CC for people who can hear has effectively been replaced by newer technology. Last week, I discovered that I can download from the Google Play store the free app Translate and install it. I then hold my smartphone mic up to audio coming from a speaker and the smartphone will display on screen in real time the speaker's words in text. I assume you could then input this text into a computer and, instead of displaying it on a screen, the computer would speak (even translate) the words audibly. So we now have the capability to have a person's spoken words translated in real time into a different language that we can listen to. In fact, this same Translate app does this. You can have a dialog with another person speaking a different language using the smartphone to translate both ways in real time. Amazing.

I discovered that using CC to show word-for-word what is spoken produces so much text that it is hard to read since it flows so fast. Subtitles are best when they are summaries of the full spoken dialog.

Try downloading live transcribe from Google play.

And it's free from all deaf college.

It's on Android OS phone system and does pretty good 90 + % accuracy give or take depending on background noise. :hatsoff

Translators are nice to have but I don't believe any of them can translate in real time. Just like the universal translators on Star Trek sound great but how can such devices translate in real time when context is needed to translate properly. There would have to be a delay in translation. But, a lot of things that are impossible today will be possible in the future.

Well if it is reading in the CC string it can do it pretty fast, also it can read it a head of time and already have it translated.

Bounds to get better as times goes by, since the computing power is pretty awesome! :)

We just getting closer to real Star Trek technology in next 20 to 50+ years it's just matter of time.

Interesting time we are living in now!:clapping:hatsoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts