Closeups: new Echostar TR-50 OTA HD Digital to Analog DVR Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Since it is digital and anlog OTA capable, it sounds like it has a different tuner chip in it than the one in the 622/722.
Now we know what Dish did with all those DVR 942s that people sent back! :D

(well, okay, you're right. The 942 wouldn't record NTSC, just ATSC... :rolleyes:)

this solves a problem with the whole TV2 issue Dish will have...

many nice, big HDTVs have horrible analog tuners. For whatever reason, they can't tune in modulated channel 3 or agile modulated worth a damn, and scale it horribly. Yet that same video tuned via a cheapo VCR and then sent to the same TV via a standard composite cable looks just fine. And HDTVs will be dropping the analog tuner altogether quite soon...

And VCRs that tune analog are done. Look around, and most have been discontinued. And DVDRs don't seem to tune analog too well, either. The few that are left that have analog tuners at all, well, suck. With the digital switchover, analog tuners will be a thing of the past.

So where does that leave the dish subscriber who wants the TV2/multiroom setup in the future? Dish isn't about to modulate a digital channel (it's supposed to be very expensive). Well, customers can keep using their old analog non-hd sets, but if you want a larger new HD LCD, you are gonna be basically SOL. Unless, of course, this box tunes and upscales analog TV signals with aplomb. Then it's a godsend. I've held off on a getting an LCD for my family room because the signal would look like crap from my 721 (now a 625 TV2). So my CRT is still hanging on, but it's going south quickly. If the TR-50 works as advertised, I may be a charter customer.

Now we know what Dish did with all those DVR 942s that people sent back! :D

(well, okay, you're right. The 942 wouldn't record NTSC, just ATSC... :rolleyes:)

Nah - those went to Canada or had their drives pulled :) This new device has MPEG4 - what the 942 sorely lacked.

And HDTVs will be dropping the analog tuner altogether quite soon...
With the digital switchover, analog tuners will be a thing of the past.

I just found out recently that not all OTA stations are required to go digital. The very small stations, like the one here in Boone, UHF 24, are exempt. Something about it being an "LP" station?

I hope that the info that you provided is incorrect. OTA analog is the only way that a lot of us will receive this channel.

Remember this is NOT a Dish Network product and is not for Dish Network customers, this is an ECHOSTAR PRODUCT designed for consumers who do not subscribe to cabletv or satellite.

In the video the Dish Network guy said that they were looking at coming out with a Dish Network branded version of the device to support Dish branded IPTV services. Could be they are looking at it as a remote receiver for a multi-room setup, replacing the RF modulator currently used in the 622/722. That would be cool, but I am not holding out much hope for that now.

Remember this is NOT a Dish Network product and is not for Dish Network customers, this is an ECHOSTAR PRODUCT designed for consumers who do not subscribe to cabletv or satellite.
As such, this thread would make the most sense in either the HD Over-the-Air forum or the General Cable & Satellite forum...

So the program guide comes from the PSIP? Doesn't that only go out a few days? I wonder if they'll try and sell an EPG service ?

IIRC, Echostar is working with Gemstar to provide/use TV Guide On Screen as the data source for this product's on screen TV listings. The TR-40 and TR-50 will not only receive digital TVGOS data from any station that provides it, but will also (according to rumors on AVS Forums) downconvert it to analog TVGOS so that current TVGOS devices can still get this data.

And it's free after $40 rebate from the FCC.
The DTV STB Coupons from the FCC are not rebates, they are like Food Stamps in they have no cash value and can only be used (within 90 days of issue) to purchase approved DTV STBs. The good news is these coupons reduce your purchase price of the eligible DTV Converters by up to $40 (in the case of the Echostar TR-40, $39.99); there is nothing to send in and no waiting 6-12 weeks for your money back...

If you want to spend some time, check out DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE - NTIA - Rules to Implement and Administer a Coupon Program for Digital-to-Analog Converter Boxes for the complete rundown on the DTV Coupon Program. Otherwise, the TV Converter Program Website website has DTV FAQ and coupon application pages.

Last edited:
IIRC, Echostar is working with Gemstar to provide/use TV Guide On Screen as the data source for this product's on screen TV listings. The TR-40 and TR-50 will not only receive digital TVGOS data from any station that provides it, but will also (according to rumors on AVS Forums) downconvert it to analog TVGOS so that current TVGOS devices can still get this data.

This is HIGHLY incorrect. It pulls guide data from the PSIP stream, if there is no data it just lists programming as Digital Station.

I just found out recently that not all OTA stations are required to go digital. The very small stations, like the one here in Boone, UHF 24, are exempt. Something about it being an "LP" station?

I hope that the info that you provided is incorrect. OTA analog is the only way that a lot of us will receive this channel.

correct. I posted it a couple months back
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1075763-post8.html

A Consumer Advisory issued by the FCC this week may bring a surprise to many: analog TV broadcasts will not be completely dead after February 17, 2009. The advisory says that while full-power stations will cease analog broadcasts on that date, low-power, class A, and translator stations may continue broadcasting in analog. There is no statutory deadline for the stations to convert to digital, but the FCC will require them to convert eventually.

low powered stations usually have either a LP or a CA in their callsign. Translator stations 99% of the time have letters and numbers in the callsign

example is Univison here in Minneapolis..they are WUMN-CA...they're low powered
Our 3ABN translator station is K14KH (the numbers in the middle mean what channel its on)

quick google search shows Boone, NC has a America One affiliate WLNN-CA on 24. They are exempt right now

difference between LP/CA and translator is LP/CA stations have more "stay put" power when the other stations were doing DT channel assignment. Translator stations can be bumped (moved to other channels)..LP & CA cannot

Here in the greater LA area every single channel from 2 through 69 is occupied, either by a full power analog, LP/CA, or digital (except 14, 19, and 38 of course - reserved for non-TV uses). It will be interesting to see what changes come February 2009. It's amazing how many people these days think that the ONLY way to watch TV is on cable or satellite. OTA is a total mystery to many people under 30 years of age.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)