Clueless Newbie about to take the plunge????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyinggreg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Columbus,OH
The other day I tried hooking up my D* receiver to the splitter so I can have it in the bedroom and the living room. Connecting the living room receiver up, saw the blue spark of death jump from cable to splitter - ooops, forgot to unplug receiver!
So, I am looking to replace that receiver. I look on EBay for a replacement, and lo-and-behold I discover FTA! For the past month I have been learning as much as I can about it. Ever so slowly creeping to the edge to take the plunge.
But, I still don't have a clue. What I am trying to do is be able to get D* (no - not trying to hack) and FTA. I was hoping to find a receiver that I could use a D* subscription and FTA, but now have learned that there is no legit dual function receiver; so I will have to use 2 seperate.
I think the setup I am looking to do is: Primestar antenna, linear lnb (for FTA), circular lnb (for D*), h-h motor, and an FTA receiver. The reason for the Primestar is as I get better understanding this stuff, I'd like to try a C-band lnb also.
Now, for some things I really don't understand. I've been to the LyngSat website to see what type of channels there are. What I don't understand is how to read the tables and is there a receiver I can find to get both analog and digital signals (or do I need 2 seperate for that, too). I am trying to minimize the number of receivers and dishes - its a wife and HOA function.
Ok, so what do I need for the different video encryptions: DVB, MPEG, Digicipher, Nagravision, etc. Which ones are FTA and which need subscription, and how do I get that (legally). On the LyngSat website, what are the letters with boxes - boxed 'f', boxed 'a', etc.
From what I have seen off this website, there is A LOT of cool things to pick off the sat's LEGALLY - how exactly do I do it?
Then there is choosing the receiver. It seems like the CoolSat 4000 Pro picks up sat's the fastest. Does this mean with initial setup to load all the sats into memory, or each time you rotate the dish to each sat.

Thanks for all the help!

Welcome

Welcome to Satellite guys forums :welcome
I just saw your message posted something around 20 minutes ago and was surprized no one has replied yet. Don't worry, you will get all your questions answered. Not by me of course, because I am a newbie like you. But there is an Awesome group of people here who will answer all your questions. It's just a matter of a few more minutes.
Good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)