Cold Weather issue

I asked the last tech that was here last week and he said it was not necessary. I will be insisting on it this time.

There are plenty of techs that don't k.ow as much as you. Chances are its ahuge pain in the rear and doesn't want to go thru the pain of relocation. Get what you want!

Glad i found this topic. I have a 2 hopper 3 joey setup and have discovered the same issue with cold temps. I lost my signal last nite, it was 15 degrees outside. I could receive TV Land (106) only on both hoppers and no other channels. On the joeys the only channel i could receive was Nick HD (170). I did the reset(unplug) first on both hoppers and joeys which did not resolve the issue. I called Dish this morning at 6:30am and told them what was happening and that i had reset the system and that it did not resolve the issue. They had me go into check switch/details/device = DPP1K.2, 4 Ports. They said a tech will be out tomorrow in the morning with a new switch.
After i hung up with Dish support curiosity got the best of me and i took a hair dryer outside and warmed up the switch and BAZINGA everything worked on the hoppers and joeys. So for now i covered the switch with a piece of insulation and all is good so far. I probably don't need the insulation on during the day today, it will be 40 degrees but tonite it wil be in the teens. Tonite i will remove the insulation and see if the issue returns, that way i can show the tech tomorrow. When the tech comes tomorrow i am going to insist that he relocates the switch to the inside in the basement. I don't know why Dish didn't put the switch in the basement to begin with when he originally installed the system all he needed was an additional foot of cable to mount the switch where i wanted it.

Glad i found this topic. I have a 2 hopper 3 joey setup and have discovered the same issue with cold temps. I lost my signal last nite, it was 15 degrees outside. I could receive TV Land (106) only on both hoppers and no other channels. On the joeys the only channel i could receive was Nick HD (170). I did the reset(unplug) first on both hoppers and joeys which did not resolve the issue. I called Dish this morning at 6:30am and told them what was happening and that i had reset the system and that it did not resolve the issue. They had me go into check switch/details/device = DPP1K.2, 4 Ports. They said a tech will be out tomorrow in the morning with a new switch.
After i hung up with Dish support curiosity got the best of me and i took a hair dryer outside and warmed up the switch and BAZINGA everything worked on the hoppers and joeys. So for now i covered the switch with a piece of insulation and all is good so far. I probably don't need the insulation on during the day today, it will be 40 degrees but tonite it wil be in the teens. Tonite i will remove the insulation and see if the issue returns, that way i can show the tech tomorrow. When the tech comes tomorrow i am going to insist that he relocates the switch to the inside in the basement. I don't know why Dish didn't put the switch in the basement to begin with when he originally installed the system all he needed was an additional foot of cable to mount the switch where i wanted it.

What I did was took a old hand towel and covered the node and tucked the towel under the cables to hold it in place. I did this on Wednesday and to this day we have not lost signal. Even when temps were single digits. Tech is coming tomorrow and I will be having it moved to inside as well.

I wonder if this is an issue in the cold weather states or if there was a bad batch of nodes. I just hope the tech does not refuse to relocate the node. After all it is now proven that these nodes are suseptible to cold weather at about 22 degrees or lower.

Yep well being single male and always wearing a crew cut/short hair I have no hair dryer handy... NO PROBLEM! My hot air popcorn popper has now become a DISH Accessory! Anyways after DISH was out here to do the work at the end of november everything has been great until a few days ago. The last couple of days have become slightly annoying since the temperature in south east ohio has plummeted and yesterday we were having 50 mph winds to accompany the cold temperatures. I still don't get it but the 1st Hopper is never affected by this issue. It's always the Hopper I use. After having the node swapped out and dish peaked I'm afraid they'll try to say it's my Hopper and want to swap it out (90% full so imagine all crap I haven't watched yet). Anyways I guess I'll have to call DISH again, about the only two things left before judging if it's my Hopper is to move the node indoors in my basement (wiring already runs through my basement so it shouldn't be that hard) and running a new cable from the node to my Hopper.

PS. Thanks for the ideas about insulation/hand towels. I don't have any insulation but I have an old piece of tarp. I might cut that a bit and then use a towel to cover the node.

I just wrapped mine in a towel and plastic shopping bag. Pulled the screw right out of the aluminum siding so now my node isn't secure. I'll take a screwdriver out there tomorrow and secure it again when I have some actual light.

Last edited:
Yep well being single male and always wearing a crew cut/short hair I have no hair dryer handy... NO PROBLEM! My hot air popcorn popper has now become a DISH Accessory! Anyways after DISH was out here to do the work at the end of november everything has been great until a few days ago. The last couple of days have become slightly annoying since the temperature in south east ohio has plummeted and yesterday we were having 50 mph winds to accompany the cold temperatures. I still don't get it but the 1st Hopper is never affected by this issue. It's always the Hopper I use. After having the node swapped out and dish peaked I'm afraid they'll try to say it's my Hopper and want to swap it out (90% full so imagine all crap I haven't watched yet). Anyways I guess I'll have to call DISH again, about the only two things left before judging if it's my Hopper is to move the node indoors in my basement (wiring already runs through my basement so it shouldn't be that hard) and running a new cable from the node to my Hopper.

PS. Thanks for the ideas about insulation/hand towels. I don't have any insulation but I have an old piece of tarp. I might cut that a bit and then use a towel to cover the node.

I just wrapped mine in a towel and plastic shopping bag. Pulled the screw right out of the aluminum siding so now my node isn't secure. I'll take a screwdriver out there tomorrow and secure it again when I have some actual light.

I guarantee it's not your hopper(s), it's the node due to cold weather. Tech came came out this morning and relocated the node to the basement. He checked the whole system this morning and signal strength was excellent as temps were in the high 20s close to 30 degrees. Said he never heard of this issue b4 and made a note of it to send along to Dish. I will definately know tomorrow morning if that cured the issue(99.999% sure it did) as tonite it is suppose to get into the low 20s to high teens. I think Dish is going to be receiving a lot of calls from hopper customers in cold states.

I guarantee it's not your hopper(s), it's the node due to cold weather. Tech came came out this morning and relocated the node to the basement. He checked the whole system this morning and signal strength was excellent as temps were in the high 20s close to 30 degrees. Said he never heard of this issue b4 and made a note of it to send along to Dish. I will definately know tomorrow morning if that cured the issue(99.999% sure it did) as tonite it is suppose to get into the low 20s to high teens. I think Dish is going to be receiving a lot of calls from hopper customers in cold states.

Here too...supposed to be sbout 19 tonight. Mine got moved to my garage.

Not from me. During my install this past July, my tech said he only installs the nodes indoors, "for weather reasons". He didn't elaborate, but he may have been referring to cold weather, but because it was warm at the time, I was thinking rain instead...

14 degrees out and our 2 hoppers working just fine. Node has been outside for probably 9 months.

Next week it looks like it will get down to 6 degrees.

Holly Cow, its 7 Degress in my Atic. Guess What. I have the exact same issue, Hopper One works, Hopper Two only gets one Sat and sometimes Tuner 2 does not work.
I am moving the switch in side to see if that fixes it
I smell RECALL.

Confirmed. After a week of very low temps and the hopper acting up on and off.
15 mins after moving the duo node inside all issues fixed. It was 12 degress in the attic at last check confirmed.
DIRT can we get a defect ticket open please. There should be a recall statement issued.
I would open a ticket but mine is a new install and I don't want my locall installer to get a charge back, he was given a node with a design defect by dish.

It seems there are a significant number of "bad batches." Perhaps enough to require interior mounting as standard, to reduce winter troublecalls.

Makes you wonder if the weather can cause premature failure on otherwise functional nodes.

Perhaps this is just like LNB drift where it only affects some of them but some will take longer than others to fail.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I also noticed on the other Hopper it changes channels much much faster now that the duo node is at room temp. Well worth it. I have a super fast system now but I have wires hanging all over the bed room. Wife is not happy, we need a fix to this issue.

Good news,
It is was below ZERO when I checked. Node is inside and working perfectly and channel changing is very fast. All week it was acting up, you would run a check switch and it would show some SATs missing and or some Tuners getting no signals with just 1 or 2 tuners working.
Now, how do I get a replacement with out getting my local installer a charge back or making an extra truck run that they dont get paid for? Any way Dish will just ship me a replacement, I can plug it in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)