Cold Weather issue

I checked all the ends they are standard at 1/8" inch.
Right now I have the node inside the house with the Attic door Open cracked open, I then move it back to the antic to test when it is below 20 degrees so I do not even unscrew cables to test. It is for sure the cold air causing this. I have a digital thermometer on the node now so the test is very scientific.

Werid my Node is out side and its been real cold past few nights have had no problems at all. Might be moving in bout 6 months. Hope i get a good node when i move maybe ill take the one here with me when i go.

Single digit temps here. My node is outside. I am experiencing no problems so far. I hope it is still OK if we get negative teens.

Happened again last night on both Hoppers. Warmed up, and the third tuners are now available.

DIRT:

How can I request this be repaired? Is this an issue support is aware of, or will I need to go through the vanilla troubleshooting transcript? Is it OK to ask that a replacement Duo node be relocated to my basement (would require drilling new hole and running through crawl space)? BTW, I am 2 weeks past my 60-day install warranty.

From reading all these posts it sounds like people with a solo node lose everything and people with a duo node usually experience these issues on one of the two Hoppers connected. In my mind it still sounds like it could be an issue with how the center conductors were prepped and the cold weather may be causing them to receed and no longer make a solid connection.

From reading all these posts it sounds like people with a solo node lose everything and people with a duo node usually experience these issues on one of the two Hoppers connected. In my mind it still sounds like it could be an issue with how the center conductors were prepped and the cold weather may be causing them to receed and no longer make a solid connection.

In all three times I have had this problem since October, I have lost signal on both hoppers. It starts on one and a few hours later (sometimes several) signal is lost on the 2nd hopper.

From reading all these posts it sounds like people with a solo node lose everything...
All of the posts -- I think -- that I've seen have exclusively involved duo nodes / (2) Hoppers. I've only got a single Hopper and a single Joey, so I have a solo node ... plus it's located inside anyway.

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I thought I read people posting regarding solo nodes but after rechecking it appears not.
Yeap, the only reason I felt somewhat comfortable saying that was knowing that I likely don't have to worry about this issue. It is cold here, in the single digits overnight, but as I mentioned already, my solo node is inside. I PRESUME I'm immune to this issue.

I still think it has to do with the coax pins.
As I pointed out earlier, I don't see how just heating the node with a hair dryer would affect the pins enough to fix the problem as others have reported, without heating a large segment of the cable itself.

I've never heated up a coax cable or cooled it down to the point of the pin receeding so I don't know how much of the cable would need to be heated up in order to expand again. Maybe when people are heating it up they are also blowing hot air on the connector on the node as well as the end of the coax cable and it expands?? I don't know enough about this but today is my Friday so I think I might grab the hair dryer and take a piece of coax outside tonight and see if I can get it to contract and expand while only heating up the last inch or two of the cable. I could even toss my node outside and see if I can duplicate it. If I find anything I'll post about it.

I'm telling you now, don't waste your time. :) The length of cable you would need to heat and cool in order to expand or contract the inner wire would be quite large. That is my point. Perhaps there is a wire coil inside the node that would be more prone to expansion/contraction.

"Perhaps there is a wire coil inside the node that would be more prone to expansion/contraction."

Good point. We'll see how boring my weekend is and if I'm bored enough I might test it out. I'll leave my node outside tonight and see if I get the signal loss problem. If so, I'm going to change out the cable running from the node to my Hopper and see if the signal issue continues using a warm cable between node and Hopper. If it does then I'll assume its the node. I could even try directing the heat at the HOST port only on the node and see if that makes a difference. I guess thats better than trying to heat up the end of a cable. I hope I can duplicate the problem.

Good luck getting Dish to believe you if you (think you) discover the problem. What will they say, "we'll submit that report to Engineering" ? :D

Its already been escalated to Dish and its beyond the point of submitting a report. Its already being looked into and are Nodes being captured and tested. I'm sure if I can duplicate it that I can get my findings to the right people.

So, we already have DIRT here, so should we call you MUD? (Maybe Underling Dish) :D

Ha! I like your play on words. I enjoy posting on these threads because there are a lot of really experienced and knowledgable people here that post great information. I do this for fun in my spare time and just try to help out other users just like everyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)