Cold Weather issue

Had 2 hoppers and a joey installed about 2 months ago, so far no problems with the duo node outside and temps have recently been around zero last few nights with no problems. Hopefully I got a good node and it keeps working. Time will tell I guess.

I called to get a replacement they said that was crazy many have it out side and there are no issues. They want to re run wires and charge me to snake them through the walls (I had hired and electrician to run all new 3 Ghz Certified coax wires before)
DIRT is there some kind of Service Bulletin number on this defect so I can give the local installer so the will believe me that this does happen?
I dont want to open a case with Dish else the local installer will get a charge back and I dont want wires re ran when I have proof it is the node and cold weather 20 degress or less.
Maybe I will call back and try for a supervisor?

Matt--I just PM'd you about this.

I discovered that I have the same problem here. System has been unusable since a few hours after installation...when the temperature dropped. I thought it was just a matter of not being able to see 129 and the dish needing to be relocated, as did Dish Tech support, but not after the results I got tonight after I saw this thread.

When the installer first came, the temperatures were in the 40s-50s and the reception was fine when he left. But within hours things deteriorated to the point where it was unwatchable (and you guessed it, it has been below freezing ever since a few hours after he left).

Tonight I got someone to climb up and clamp a heat lamp under the eve, pointing at the switch. Within minutes the picture restored.

Thankfully someone pointed me to this thread, otherwise I would have never connected these dots. I really hope Dish takes some action on this soon, because it has made for a very poor new customer experience...not to mention the toll it is going to take on the installers who don't know about it that have to return time and time again until they figure it out.

I had a similar problem. One Hopper worked one did not. The Duo Node was installed inside from day one.
Dish sent me a new Hopper and no improvement. They sent a second new hopper and now everything works fine.

I also noticed on the other Hopper it changes channels much much faster now that the duo node is at room temp. Well worth it. I have a super fast system now but I have wires hanging all over the bed room. Wife is not happy, we need a fix to this issue.
A new house will fix that, plus make wife happy!

I am having the same "no/loss of" signal issues here in Southern California tonight. It is an obvious TEMP issue, as it snowed a bit here today and its very chilly right now. A cold spell a week ago really seemed to cause havoc with the same type of signal issues, and a tech came out and replaced the "switch". Seemed to fix for a week or so till the cold weather again today. Very cold weather right now...equals...no signal!

I called to get a replacement they said that was crazy many have it out side and there are no issues. They want to re run wires and charge me to snake them through the wall...
This is like your car acts up, you take it to the mechanic and say "replace this part". He does and problem still exists (and you'll still pay for the un-needed part and labor). Let them do the diagnosing.

But they want $200 to re snake the wires throught the 3 walls that I had an electrician already do with certified 3ghz coax. Since the installer did not run the wires they dont trust it.
I may end up buying my own duo node, how much are they?
Been a week with no issues inside. I put it back out in the cold and it stated acting up again. Seems like proof to me.

This is like your car acts up, you take it to the mechanic and say "replace this part". He does and problem still exists (and you'll still pay for the un-needed part and labor). Let them do the diagnosing.

The tech is here now and he said the original installer used old cables from a Diretv install I had about 3 years ago and that is what is causeing the issues for me. He is running new cables and said the dish was not grounded either. Hope this fixes it.

Typical statement when the tech has no clue.. And it NEVER was the problem in the first place.

Has anyone considered that maybe, possibly, your technician prepped the cable with stingers that are just a tad short? The cold weather would cause the center conductor to recede and lose connection. If it was the Node being too cold, why is just one Hopper not working? Has anyone here pulled the connectors to see that they have at least 1/8" of center conductor sticking out past the connector?

Your hair dryer would have warmed the copper allowing it to stretch again, which is likely why you saw a resolution.

Your hair dryer would have warmed the copper allowing it to stretch again, which is likely why you saw a resolution.
Your idea sounded plausible until that last statement. In order for the copper to contract or expand in length significant enough to cause a loss of connection, the temperature would have to change significantly over a long run of the cable, not just the few inches or foot of cable that a hair dryer would affect. The fact that just warming up the node solves the issue indicates that it must be the node.

I appear to have the same issue here in SE CT with both Hopper's in my 2H2J setup. Check switch shows all green, but one tuner will show Lost Signal. I did resets, power cycles, etc., but it would not resolve the issue. Then, miraculously, it works the following morning. It has happened a few nights now, and it wasn't until I saw this thread that I realized the Duo node is mounted on the side of the house where the sun rises.

If you are having this issue where no channels are coming in, press the RED button the remote and select a different tuner.

PIC_0268.JPG

Wow! I'm surprised how many are having this issue. Must be a batch of bad Nodes since I have mine outside as well and have yet to see the same issue. It's been single digits here and even sub zero at times. I hope this doesn't happen to them all, I would have to run another cable all away around my house.

More and more people are seeing really cold temperatures finally (across the country). The odds just got better for seeing/hearing about these cold-temp related issues. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts