Cold Weather issue

eichenberg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
I have 2 Hoppers. One in the living room and one in the master bedroom. On mornings when the temp is below 20 the Hopper in the living room looses signal for a few hours, while the one in the bedroom works fine. Strange I know but it is happening. Anyone have any experience with this or know why cold weather would cause loss of signal only on one Hopper?

Press YELLOW - Diagnostics - System Status. Do both receivers say "Good?"

Sounds like you may have LNB drift.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Or, one of his connections, outside, is not good. The cold air contracts and there is no connection....

Wanted to wait to check this morning and same thing again. We got about an inch of snow and the outside temp was 18 degrees. Both receivers say good but the family room hopper has no sifnal from all three sats. The master bedroom works just fine. Guess I will be calling Dish.

Wanted to wait to check this morning and same thing again. We got about an inch of snow and the outside temp was 18 degrees. Both receivers say good but the family room hopper has no sifnal from all three sats. The master bedroom works just fine. Guess I will be calling Dish.

Can you switch locations of the Hoppers to see if it stays in the room or follows the Hopper?

I have 2 Hoppers. One in the living room and one in the master bedroom. On mornings when the temp is below 20 the Hopper in the living room looses signal for a few hours, while the one in the bedroom works fine. Strange I know but it is happening. Anyone have any experience with this or know why cold weather would cause loss of signal only on one Hopper?

Same problem! Only on days with thick frost cover so I had Dish come out and they replaced the duo node and i believe peaked my dish.(but if it was lnb drift wouldn't it affect both receivers?) I haven't noticed any problems yet. There was one other case of this that I found on the other dish forum via Google search.

Anyways here was the post i made about it a couple weeks ago.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/298628-Signal-Problems-with-just-one-Hopper

Here are some interesting tidbits about the last time this happened to me.

The last thing I recorded was around 2:00 am in the morning which recorded fine, no glitches, signal loss besides the :29 :59 glitch.
I woke up at 4:00 am that morning
Had no signal until 8:32 am when the temperature went above freezing.

Last edited:
As suggested, switch Hoppers and if the problem is the location check all the connections. Or maybe there's a bad cable.

Can you switch locations of the Hoppers to see if it stays in the room or follows the Hopper?

Switched locations and now both are not getting signal. Both do show as "good" in the system status screen. This happened before when the original installer left an open port on the duo node and rain got it wet. So Dish sent another tech out who replaced the duo node and now it is acting up again. All though the first time it happened it did not seem to be controlled by the air temp like this time, which is why I did not suspect the node.

I'm a DNS technician and I have some important info on this! I installed a 5 tv Hopper/Joey installation 2 weeks ago. We got cold weather with snow and this customer has been having problems ever since! I replaced the LNB, Duo node, hoppers, and today the cables but the problem continues. I've already had 2 trouble calls from this job!

Frustrated, I talked with my dispatcher who works in the same office as Level 2 support. The Level 2 support called someone in corporate, and confirmed that they have been having problems with the duo nodes going from hot to cold. The solution is to mount the duo node indoors.

This is a first for me, and we'll see if this becomes an issue this winter! You can probably test this out by heating up the duo node with a blow dryer and check if your tv's come back. I don't know how realistic it will be to reconfigure the duo nodes to be indoors, but that's what I was told is the solution for this problem.

Someone please test this out, and confirm if heat on the duo node makes your problem go away!

Remember.. this is through the grapevine, so don't jump to conclusions. Please test this and reply with your results! I've tried everything with this customer!

I had a feeling that the nodes weren't as weather-ready as say, the switches and LNBs... Glad my nodes are indoors!

I talked with the customer today, and he confirmed that he gained his tuners back for a short time when he used a blow dryer to warm up the duo node.

This isn't widespread because it's not happening on every duo node installation, but something is making these cold sensitive!

The tech is here now and he said the original installer used old cables from a Diretv install I had about 3 years ago and that is what is causeing the issues for me. He is running new cables and said the dish was not grounded either. Hope this fixes it.

The tech is here now and he said the original installer used old cables from a Diretv install I had about 3 years ago and that is what is causeing the issues for me. He is running new cables and said the dish was not grounded either. Hope this fixes it.

Well cold air is back and so is loss of signal. Tech coming back out friday but by that time air temp will be above freezing. So they wont be able to troubleshoot. I did take a hair dryer to the node and signal came back immediately. So I will confirm cold air is effecting the node. I wrapped the node in a towel to try and insulate it. We will see. This the third time dish has sent a tech out for the same damn problem. Shouldn't lemon law take effect, this is ridiculous. I lost TV for 2 days last week and if I hadn't tried the hair drier today I would be without TV again for who knows how long. Beyond upset right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)