Cold Weather issue

Dish is aware of a problem with nodes and cold temps. Very likely what you are running into. There is also a signal problem with 2 Hopper systems (does not happen on single hopper systems) where randomly each tuner will only see 1 instead of 3 (for western arch) satellites. It is at this point an unsolved problem.

Edit: Didn't realize how many replies were on this thread, my post was probably redundant.

Johnners issue is most likely signals loss due to a misaligned dish. The cold weather issue is only affecting dual nodes and specific LNBs, he's using a single. What is this tuner problem you are talking about?

Last edited:
Mods , really wish this could be a sticky with maybe the title adjusted. I ran into an other with Two Hoppers and the tech wanted to run new cables, did not know about this issue.

I guess Dish Software went on vacation. They sent a PM asking me for a good time and day for someone to come out last Tuesday yet I have not heard anything back from them. Right now I'm staring at Error 002/no signal and it's currently 22 degrees out according to the weather channel website. So it looks like I'm not going to have signal on my Hopper for the next 2 days.

Maybe they've been busy with the HWS launch. I'm sure they will reach out, from my experience they are pretty quick about getting a tech visit set up.

They got a hold of me a couple minutes after I posted. My response PM was overlooked. I heated up the node and re-wrapped it. Apparently the wind blew my last plastic bag off the node and I didn't realize it. Anyways I just hope it holds up tonight because we are going to see a low of 8 degrees, and a high of 16 tomorrow. I just wonder what my neighbors think when I'm point an air popcorn popper at my house :) (to heat the node)

7 Degrees last night 8 over night tonight. This fix really does work. Thank You Dish for JD Powers Top Tier #1 customer support on this one. My tech came right way once I contacted the software team.

I have the lnb pictured earlier and my duo node does not have the black dot...I had my node moved to my garage on Dec 23rd ,which is not insulated, and a few weeks ago we had lows in the negative and not one single problem so far. Almost affraid to tell Dish I have the wrong lnb/node combination since it is working so well.

I have the lnb pictured earlier and my duo node does not have the black dot...I had my node moved to my garage on Dec 23rd ,which is not insulated, and a few weeks ago we had lows in the negative and not one single problem so far. Almost affraid to tell Dish I have the wrong lnb/node combination since it is working so well.

You could wait to see what happens but by waiting till later you run the risk that the tech schedule may be booked for a few days.

Well, right when we started nearing zero degrees last night one of my two hoppers starting losing signal. RBR and plug/unplug have not worked to resolve.

I have a dual node mounted outside, under my deck...After going through normal gyrations over the phone with tech and advanced tech, Dish is sending out tech to the home tuesday morning...Reported the problem to them Sunday evening...Is page 16 what I need to print out for this tech regarding bulletins and production/part #'s that need replacing??

Would love to be able to guide them out of the chute tomorrow when they come to the home...Everything was working perfectly on our 2h/1j system until it got near zero degrees...Our other Hopper seems to be fine (knocking wood)...

UGH!

Last edited:
Well, right when we started nearing zero degrees last night one of my two hoppers starting losing signal. RBR and plug/unplug have not worked to resolve.

I have a dual node mounted outside, under my deck...After going through normal gyrations over the phone with tech and advanced tech, Dish is sending out tech to the home tuesday morning...Reported the problem to them Sunday evening...Is page 16 what I need to print out for this tech regarding bulletins and production/part #'s that need replacing??

Would love to be able to guide them out of the chute tomorrow when they come to the home...Everything was working perfectly on our 2h/1j system until it got near zero degrees...Our other Hopper seems to be fine (knocking wood)...

UGH!

I would print off the post with the LNB info.

I would print off the post with the LNB info.

So just to be clear, that would be this info:
The issue may be occurring if someone has an older model node and is using one of the following LNBFs that have the following serial number prefix markings identified by the 1st 6 characters of the serial number. (see attachement)

D1000.4 WA Triple LNBF, A122A7
D1000.4 WA Triple LNBF, A72201

D1000.2 Triple LNBF, A11201,A11202,A11203
D1000.2 Triple LNBF, A71201,A71202,A71203

D1000.4 EA Triple LNBF, A71C01

If you have an older model Duo Node and are experiencing these issues, then the LNBF needs to be replaced. An updated Duo Node design is already in inventory to enable all LNBF versions to be used in cold weather conditions. Updated Duo Nodes may be identified by black dots on the carton and unit labels. (see attachment)

So just to be clear, that would be this info:
The issue may be occurring if someone has an older model node and is using one of the following LNBFs that have the following serial number prefix markings identified by the 1st 6 characters of the serial number. (see attachement)

D1000.4 WA Triple LNBF, A122A7
D1000.4 WA Triple LNBF, A72201

D1000.2 Triple LNBF, A11201,A11202,A11203
D1000.2 Triple LNBF, A71201,A71202,A71203

D1000.4 EA Triple LNBF, A71C01

If you have an older model Duo Node and are experiencing these issues, then the LNBF needs to be replaced. An updated Duo Node design is already in inventory to enable all LNBF versions to be used in cold weather conditions. Updated Duo Nodes may be identified by black dots on the carton and unit labels. (see attachment)

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Well, we got the Artic blast last night. We lost no tuners. However, on one Joey (not sure about the other) I did have a couple of 'black screen' moments last night, and this morning, changing channels on it took anywhere from 5-30 seconds.

Well, we got the Artic blast last night. We lost no tuners. However, on one Joey (not sure about the other) I did have a couple of 'black screen' moments last night, and this morning, changing channels on it took anywhere from 5-30 seconds.

Try rebooting the hopper that the joey is linked to. Try pairing the joey to the other hopper and see if the black screens continue.

Looks like I've finally run into the cold problems with my duo node. I haven't had a single issue with mine until the last two nights. It's been at or below zero the last two days. From the late morning till about 10pm mine worked great but right after 10pm it started losing signal. Luckily I have my OTA. I checked my signal strength and it looked good but sat 119 said it was locked on the wrong sat, 129. When I did a switch check it said I was missing some satellites. Seemed strange but just assuming it has to do with the node outside.