College Football Realignment Rumors abound again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sucks is right. Not sure, think the word you're looking for is PAC's maybe. I don't see how the bowls are considered non profits either. I prefer the regional aspect of college sports and don't care for them being spread out on a national landscape for conferences. I prefer the 8 to 10 team conference with some nice out of conference games. Take the conference champions and put them in an 8 team playoff. Make winning your conference mean something again.

Now that we can definitely agree on.

PAC that may be it,not sure though.

Here is a link to a clip of the episode I'm referring to.If you get a chance you should check it out.Had me shaking my head during the whole segment.

It's episode 174 of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.

Headlinin’: Welcome, Sugar Bowl, to the BCS corruption crosshairs - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF Blog - Yahoo! Sports

There's also another component, FSU being a public university answers indirectly to the State Legislature. How many Miami grads are there in it?

Personally I don't see any upsides to going to the Big 12 for FSU. The monetary difference isn't that much, plus any gain is killed by travel in non-revenue sports. Also, they'd lose a non-conference (money maker-easy win) game since Miami won't be a conference game anymore.

Travel to the Big 12 locations is no different than travel to the Northern half of the ACC. BC, Syracuse, Pitt , Maryland are just as far as going to Lubbock, Ames, Lawrence, Manhattan.

Yes, but travel to the Southern half of the ACC is pretty short. Can't think of any Big 12 schools that are as close to Tallahassee as Miami, Atlanta, Clempson or the Carolina schools. In the Big 12, all the schools would be huge road trips, not just under half.

Texas, TCU, Baylor and Morgantown are only 200 miles or so further than most of the southern half of the ACC. Not sure may be more, so don't quote me there. FSU is in the Atlantic division so they have to go to the northern schools more than the southern schools.

I really want to the see the Big 12 stand pat at 10. I like the round robin play,just like the old Big 8 days, but I think they are going to be pressured to add 2.

edit: Also the Big 12 pays the schools travel expenses out of the Conference fund.

FSU to:

Morgantown - 851 miles
Fort Worth - 870 miles
Austin - 873 miles
Waco - 892 miles

Atlanta - 263 miles
Clemson - 383 miles
Miami - 486 miles
Winston-Salem - 553 miles
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill - 618 miles
(average distance to 7 closest ACC schools = 505 miles)

FSU to:

Morgantown - 851 miles
Fort Worth - 870 miles
Austin - 873 miles
Waco - 892 miles

Atlanta - 263 miles
Clemson - 383 miles
Miami - 486 miles
Winston-Salem - 553 miles
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill - 618 miles
(average distance to 7 closest ACC schools = 505 miles)

FSU is in the Atlantic Division though, so they will have to travel further, they don't get all of those close games. They will have further to travel if they decide to move to the Big 12, but they are most likely flying now, so it won't add much to the cost or travel times. West Virginia is estimating their travel costs are going to rise by a million dollars. Still it is something to consider

Maryland 883
BC 1,304
Syracuse 1,183
Clemson 387
NC St 614
WF 541

FSU should stay put! They will have to travel further to play Big 12 teams. Plus they would get the hind sides kicked!

I think FSU would compete well in most sports, but they will have to step up if they want to play football with the big boys every week. As Iowa State showed it only takes one off week and boom goes the season.

What kills you in sports travel is not really football. If you are a serious I-A program you are going to fly charter directly to the nearest airport (which in most of the Big 12 is not even a commercial airport). Or even basketball. Its the other team sports (individual-ish sports like golf or track are different, generally consisting of a single conference tournament). Softball/baseball, women's basketball, volleyball, and soccer (I don't think the Big 12 has soccer, but this is a more general discussion). You have to travel those teams to a H and H schedule in a ligitimate way. That means charters for all of those teams, or flying commercial (difficult to such hubs of international commerce like Morgantown, Stillwater, Lawrence or Ames) along with all of the accompanying gear. That ads up, not only in $$ but it hurts your kids (who really are student athletes) in those sports.

WVU, since you brought it up, "borrowed" $16M (interest free with no repayment expected) from the state taxpayers and the school's academic endowment. It is also after a federal $20M upgrade to its airport, which normally receives two EAS subisdized puddle jumpers per day, so it can accept full-sized planes (which would mean football related flights, which would rival Alaska's "bridge to nowhere" as the boondoggle transportation project of the century). Its only 68 miles to Pittsburgh, an international airport.

The big deal, really, in these geographically illogical conferences, in football and basketball, is recruiting. Take any legitimate team. Look at the roster. The recruiting base is the conference footprint. Selling kids on 2000 mile air trips to state they (thanks to the school system) really cannot find on a map is limited.

The merry-go-round will probably not stop for a couple of years until there are 4 big conferences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts