College Football Realignment Rumors abound again

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Lots of rumors going around lately.

FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 being the biggest for the last month.

Louisville has reportedly stated to the Big East they will be gone if the opportunity arises.

Boise St and San Diego St are reportedly rethinking their moves to the Big East now. Will the Mountain West help Boise with their $5 million buyout to keep them from moving July 1st.?

I think it will get interesting in a few more weeks after the BCS June meetings.

Lots of rumors going around lately.

FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 being the biggest for the last month.

Louisville has reportedly stated to the Big East they will be gone if the opportunity arises.

Boise St and San Diego St are reportedly rethinking their moves to the Big East now. Will the Mountain West help Boise with their $5 million buyout to keep them from moving July 1st.?

I think it will get interesting in a few more weeks after the BCS June meetings.

Isn't Boise State Officially in the Big East, they can't just say, sorry guys, we changed our minds, see ya .... can they ?

They have the same clause written in the contract that TCU had. They can leave before July 1, 2012 and only have to pay $5 million, which supposedly the MWC is looking to help them with. If they wait until after July 1, 2012 then it goes up to $10 million

They have the same clause written in the contract that TCU had. They can leave before July 1, 2012 and only have to pay $5 million, which supposedly the MWC is looking to help them with. If they wait until after July 1, 2012 then it goes up to $10 million

You would think if you say Hey, were joining Conference X, that you should be obligatewd to stay for X amount of years before you can leave.... hell, they haven't even got IN the door yet.

So I guess any of the Big Boys that want to shop around can join a conference for the summer and move on before the deadline if they wanted.

You would think if you say Hey, were joining Conference X, that you should be obligatewd to stay for X amount of years before you can leave.... hell, they haven't even got IN the door yet.

So I guess any of the Big Boys that want to shop around can join a conference for the summer and move on before the deadline if they wanted.
Doesn't seem right, does it? If Boise St. were to renege on the Big East because they think it's folding, well they are essentially causing the situation for which they are leaving. Crazy stuff.

The "Big East" is dying. Stripped of its "AQ" status, by either an application of common sense from the BcS, or via this 4 team playoff, the reason to be a member, particular a geographically illogical football only memeber is non-existant.

I look for the basketball schools to reestablish it as a basketball only league, and the leftovers that want to still play mid-major I-A football to find football only shelter. Cincy to the MAC, etc.

It'll cost both FSU and Clemson a pretty penny to leave the ACC now.They just recently upped the amount of the buyout.A cool $20 million to leave the ACC now.

$20 million is the same WVU ended up paying to leave. With potential upside of adding names like FSU and Clemson, I would bet the Big 12 will offer them the same thing they did WVU. $10 million each to go towards the exit fee. The Big 12 is looking at 20 million a school now and supposedly adding 2 teams and a championship game would push that to $26 million a school plus any 3rd tier money the schools generate for themselves.

With the escalators rumored in the new Big 12 tv contract, FSU and Clemson would be looking at $100-$130 million more over the life of the new Big 12 tv contract compared to the ACC, should they choose to move. It appears that the ACC may have a hard time competing for BCS money in the future too. It will be interesting to see what happens in June after the BCS meetings.

I personally like the Big 12 at 10 teams or 11 and playing everyone each season, but an addition like FSU and Clemson would be worth going back to 12 and east/west divisions

Doesn't seem right, does it? If Boise St. were to renege on the Big East because they think it's folding, well they are essentially causing the situation for which they are leaving. Crazy stuff.

Well, Boise State screwed over the Mountain West the same way. Joined, and then left after a year.....

I can understand the MWC wanting them back, but they shouldn't pay, or make DAMN sure they have a min term agreement for them to stick around.

$20 million is the same WVU ended up paying to leave. With potential upside of adding names like FSU and Clemson, I would bet the Big 12 will offer them the same thing they did WVU. $10 million each to go towards the exit fee. The Big 12 is looking at 20 million a school now and supposedly adding 2 teams and a championship game would push that to $26 million a school plus any 3rd tier money the schools generate for themselves.

With the escalators rumored in the new Big 12 tv contract, FSU and Clemson would be looking at $100-$130 million more over the life of the new Big 12 tv contract compared to the ACC, should they choose to move. It appears that the ACC may have a hard time competing for BCS money in the future too. It will be interesting to see what happens in June after the BCS meetings.

I personally like the Big 12 at 10 teams or 11 and playing everyone each season, but an addition like FSU and Clemson would be worth going back to 12 and east/west divisions

ACC will be fine,they won't fold.

Teehar said:
ACC will be fine,they won't fold.

I never said they would fold.

I think they are going to be on the outside looking in. I think they will be in contention once every 5 years or so.

I don't think realignment is done and I do think the ACC is going to lose a few. Whether that is for 2013 season or later, no one knows yet.

Let him blow smoke,with or without FSU the ACC will not only survive but will thrive,they will not be on the outside looking in.Attendance at live ACC games beat the Big however many schools they have now in 2010/2011.That's saying something.The then Big12 screwed up letting first Nebraska get away then Texas A&M.Now they are scrambling to try to get the 12 teams back.ACC already has Pitt and Syracuse coming in and if FSU does decide to play 3rd fiddle minimum to Texas and OU,the ACC will move quickly to replace them.

Calm down,, Geesh I don't know about last season, but considering the ACC had 2 more teams this past season, than the Big 12, I would hope your attendance was greater . However according to the last official records from the NCAA, the ACC wasn't even close to the Big 12.

NCAA FBS TOP COLLEGE FOOTBALL ATTENDANCE CONFERENCE IN 2010 - 2011 Season

SEC ---- 6,521,151
Big Ten ---- 5,480,023
Big 12 ---- 5,226,903
Pacific-10 ---- 3,336,793
ACC ---- 4,067,984
Big East ---- 2,386,461
MWC ---- 1,861,071

Right or Wrong, money is what drives college football and football money pays the bills for most of the other sports.

I don't care about bashing anyone's conference or teams, was just looking for what thoughts people had about whats clearly going to be the top story in the off season. :hatsoff:

Sorry for bashing your conference osu1991.Get really fired up over the ACC:).

My thoughts is it sucks!Sick of all the re-alignment and sick of the BCS period.Its a joke how they decide the champion maybe it will be better with a 4 team playoff but imo it should be at least the top 8 teams.Money is ruining Division 1 college football though.

Sorry for bashing your conference osu1991.Get really fired up over the ACC:).

My thoughts is it sucks!Sick of all the re-alignment and sick of the BCS period.Its a joke how they decide the champion maybe it will be better with a 4 team playoff but imo it should be at least the top 8 teams.Money is ruining Division 1 college football though.

It will eventually get to a 8 team playoff, probably more.
Money has ALWAYS run College football.

It will eventually get to a 8 team playoff, probably more.
Money has ALWAYS run College football.

Hope your right about the playoff going to 8 teams.

And I agree money has always run college football but the amount of money these days is staggering.What's worse is can't think of the proper name or term for them,the guys that lobby for bowls make a crap ton of money and hardly do anything.There was a story about it on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel a while back.Pretty interesting and sad at the same time to see how some of the money is used.

Sucks is right. Not sure, think the word you're looking for is PAC's maybe. I don't see how the bowls are considered non profits either. I prefer the regional aspect of college sports and don't care for them being spread out on a national landscape for conferences. I prefer the 8 to 10 team conference with some nice out of conference games. Take the conference champions and put them in an 8 team playoff. Make winning your conference mean something again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts