Columbus, OH HD locals apparently delayed (surprise)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
mjones1973 said:
The "rumor" I've heard is they aren't going to roll out any more markets until they fix the issues that came out in the first 12.

I doubt it, there will be some more locals going up by the 20th, but not enough to be on pace to do this entire group in the next 2 or 3 months.

From the February 22, 2006 Press Release:

Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Customers with the appropriate DIRECTV HD receiving equipment, who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels, will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

The 24 local markets to receive HD programming include:

Baltimore Minneapolis, Minn.
Birmingham, Ala. Nashville, Tenn.
Charlotte, N.C. Orlando, Fla.
Cleveland Phoenix
Columbus, Ohio Pittsburgh
Denver Raleigh, N.C.
Fresno, Calif. Sacramento, Calif.
Hartford, Conn. Salt Lake City
Indianapolis San Diego
Kansas City, Mo./Kan. Seattle
Miami St Louis, Mo.
Milwaukee, Wisc. West Palm Beach, Fla.

For the record, it says D* WILL begin the rollout in April. Not that it plans to, or may get around to, or is thinking about. It says WILL.

Not is looks like it WILL NOT.:(

RIGHT, BUT NO FRIKEN DATES; NO FRIKEN LIST OF WHAT CITY OR CITIES, AND IN WHAT ORDER!

It just says begin in April; and guess what? Today is ONLY THE 5th, the 3rd business day of April!

SO STOP WHINING ABOUT IT! That's all thats being asked.

To fulfill the only "promise" that the release eludes to, is to rollout 1, and only 1 DMA, on 4/30/2006 and then hold off on all the rest till a later date. That will take care of the only thing stated in the release; "to begin in April"! It says begin in APRIL, meaning sometime in April.

We all know thats not how its going to go, but by that statement, we don't officially know who, or when, or how many each time. You guys try to read to much into what is really said and then start complaining 1 day after the fact for no reason.

You guys act like you are getting TV for the first time in your lives. Just calm down and wait.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
RIGHT, BUT NO FRIKEN DATES; NO FRIKEN LIST OF WHAT CITY OR CITIES, AND IN WHAT ORDER!

It just says begin in April; and guess what? Today is ONLY THE 5th, the 3rd business day of April!

SO STOP WHINING ABOUT IT! That's all thats being asked.

To fulfill the only "promise" that the release eludes to, is to rollout 1, and only 1 DMA, on 4/30/2006 and then hold off on all the rest till a later date. That will take care of the only thing stated in the release; "to begin in April"! It says begin in APRIL, meaning sometime in April.

We all know thats not how its going to go, but by that statement, we don't officially know who, or when, or how many each time. You guys try to read to much into what is really said and then start complaining 1 day after the fact for no reason.

You guys act like you are getting TV for the first time in your lives. Just calm down and wait.

First of all, calm down, second of all, at some point a directv official said the locals rollout would be done 6-8 at a time, not 1 one day, and 20 something another day. If there aren't 6-8 cities that go live this month at least, they will be behind schedule. So far only two are confirmed.

I spoke with a level 2 supervisor yesterday about a different problem, but we talked about the Columbus market. She said Columbus will go online in May. No date give just sometime in May. Looking at the list above there are 6 cities in front of Columbus, so going with the 6-8 cities thing it looks like D* could and said could (not will) be on target.

as long as the beam is on by 4.30.06 and one at9 is on a house and one h-20 is active . the roll-out will be underway. legally.

And legally, if that's their idea of a rollout, I will be switching to cable, two year committment or not.

I am very calm, you guys are only 3 business days into the month of April and are always asking the same questions over, and over again, about the same stuff like babies in the candy aisle; "what about my locals", "what about my locals", "my CSR said this", "my CSR said that"; it is down right childish. AND then some jump right to busting DirecTV's hump about "we were told we would be online in April!" Which is BS, and again, we are only 3 days in! Those are the folks that need to calm down. I would hate to think any of these people are running any sort of real businesses.

Questioner said:
at some point a directv official said the locals rollout would be done 6-8 at a time, not 1 one day, and 20 something another day.

Who? Official source? This info should be readily avalible if it is offically released into the public domain. PLANNING is just that, a plan and things change. Some for our good, some not.

BUT they are still just plans or goals and things can, and do get pushed back. This is a milti-billion dollar company trying to satisfy stock holders, make money and keep 15+M subs happy in the process; all while trying to keep ahead of ever-changing tech and having to rely on sat launching facilities and sat building facilities that have numerous other contracts, many of which constantly bump the scheduals, especially if it is a government build/launch.

You guys think all this is SO EASY! You guys have no idea how foolish you all sound. On our end its just TV for God's sake!

If there aren't 6-8 cities that go live this month at least, they will be behind schedule.

Right, I said we all know its NOT going to happen 1 at a time, but that IS all they have to do to be in line with their ONLY offical release so far - "to begin in April".

AND if they are behind on lighting up 6 or 8 for April, there is no reason they can't speed in May or June or whenever, to still attempt to satisfy their ultimate goal of the 76%, and even if they don't get more than 4, 6 or 8 in online April or May, who cares? As long as they get the 76% or so done RIGHT, by 1/1/07.

So far only two are confirmed.

By whom? Post the the official source?

I think the reason why we dont see exact list dates that Charper1 is looking for is just in case something slips by a day or 2 or a few weeks. I think the key is, folks are just speculating if any of the announced second wave of HD locals are beginning this month and when certain markets are going.

I didnt think anyone was bitching or whining but others may have read that. I can see why folks are very anxious about this. 1. They want HD locals and may not be able to get them OTA. 2. It was announced by D* to begin in April. So I think this and other related threads are valid and so are most of the posts. I think its valid to speculate and discusss. Thats all. Prost.

charper1 said:
I am very calm, you guys are only 3 business days into the month of April and are always asking the same questions over, and over again, about the same stuff like babies in the candy aisle; "what about my locals", "what about my locals", "my CSR said this", "my CSR said that"; it is down right childish. AND then some jump right to busting DirecTV's hump about "we were told we would be online in April!" Which is BS, and again, we are only 3 days in! Those are the folks that need to calm down. I would hate to think any of these people are running any sort of real businesses.

Who? Official source? This info should be readily avalible if it is offically released into the public domain. PLANNING is just that, a plan and things change. Some for our good, some not.

BUT they are still just plans or goals and things can, and do get pushed back. This is a milti-billion dollar company trying to satisfy stock holders, make money and keep 15+M subs happy in the process; all while trying to keep ahead of ever-changing tech and having to rely on sat launching facilities and sat building facilities they have numerous other contracts, many of which constantly bump the scheduals, especially if it is a government build/launch.

You guys think all this is SO EASY! You guys have no idea how foolish you all sound. On our end its just TV for God's sake!

Right, I said we all know its NOT going to happen 1 at a time, but that IS all they have to do to be in line with their ONLY offical release so far - "to begin in April".

AND if they are behind on lighting up 6 or 8 for April, there is no reason they can't speed in May or June or whenever, to still attempt to satisfy their ultimate goal of the 76%, and even if they don't get more than 4, 6 or 8 in online April or May, who cares? As long as they get the 76% or so done RIGHT, by 1/1/07.

By whom? Post the the official source?

WOW. If this anger is from you sober...... Man, let the folks discuss this. If you dont like it, go read another thread. Maybe anger management is in order? You say you are calm but count the exclamation points and captitals in your posts.

Last edited:
Brewer4 said:
WOW. If this anger is from you sober...... Man, let the folks discuss this. If you dont like it, go read another thread. Maybe anger management is in order?

brewer,

why do you keep implying that charper has a drinking problem??

just curious.

Questioner said:
And legally, if that's their idea of a rollout, I will be switching to cable, two year committment or not.

Great go right ahead, thats your choice. Cable gets most of their content via operating local affiliates and via satellite. All they do is provide boxes and lay cable. So they profit off of everyone else's heavy lifting and then turn around and fight tooth and nail to keep sat re-distributors like Dish and DirecTV from operating on a level/even playing field.

dragon002 said:
brewer,

just curious.

Because they have no factual legs to stand on. They gripe for the sake of griping and like little kids when they get called out they resort to name calling.

NAH NAH!

Are any of those bottles whine that you drink with your cheese?

Seriously, I could care less if directv is not on an even playing field, cable has offered hd locals for years here and as a consumer, I don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to wait any longer.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Because they have no factual legs to stand on. They gripe for the sake of griping and like little kids when they get called out they resort to name calling.

NAH NAH!

Huh?? I thought I was on the side discussion and not actually griping or posting information. I was just joining the discussion. I thought it was just funny that you have your avatar as Bourbon. I think its cool. I do think you do have some personal issues that is coming out in these posts. I actually love Whiskey of all types. I am actually not going to resort to name calling. But again, you are capitalizing and exclamation marks. Its all good. Cheers.

Questioner said:
Are any of those bottles whine that you drink with your cheese?

WHAT?

Seriously, I could care less if directv is not on an even playing field, cable has offered hd locals for years here and as a consumer

The exact point, DBS would not be so far behind today in SD or HD local carriage if it were not for the NAB and cable cos fighting over their rights to keep them exclusive/out of the sat cos hands.

I don't have to feel guilting about not wanting to wait any longer.

Me neither, I have longed for a citizen space travel program, and know it is technically possible, so screw NASA, I am headed to the first place I can find that will blast me up there regardless! LOL!

dragon002 said:
brewer,

just curious.

Actually just busting his hump. I call it poking the bear. His posts have been rather "excitable" lately and rather angry. So I just thought in jest to poke back. Nothing personal and no name calling. My call sign is brewer4 and I brew beer. Folks are welcome to poke that. Its all good man, its all good. Slainte.

Brewer4 said:
Huh?? I thought I was on the side discussion and not actually griping or posting information. I was just joining the discussion. I thought it was just funny that you have your avatar as Bourbon. I think its cool. I do think you do have some personal issues that is coming out in these posts. I actually love Whiskey of all types. I am actually not going to resort to name calling. But again, you are capitalizing and exclamation marks. Its all good. Cheers.

Discussion IS good!

But if I posted 10 times a day, in 10 different threads, without searching for all the others that already exist, and repeated the same crap over and over again, it is no longer a constructive discussion. AND its funny to see the continual passing of false or "stretched-truth" information; that only confuses the newer subs and then that breeds even more weird and absurd "discussions" as opposed to real help. No need for yelling FIRE or THE SKY is FALLING just to illicit replies or arguments.

I do think you do have some personal issues that is coming out in these posts.

LOL! Dr Katz

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)