Comast Speed Boost

kb2vgp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Oneida County, NY
Has anyone else that has Xfinity Internet get a speed boost? I have the performance level of service and before the upgrade I was testing at about 25 down and 3-4 up. After the upgrade I'm testing at between 40-60 (usually in the upper 40s) down and 5-6 up. Just wondering what other people had and were experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I got an email saying my Extreme 50 was being doubled to up to 105MB. It said to disconnect the modem and router for 30 seconds and re-connect. I did that, and my speeds went from 60 to 75MB. Heck, close to the router, I was getting 50MB from wifi. Impressive.

I too received an email from Xfinity telling me that they had increased internet speed to 30-50Mbps in my area of SE MIchigan. I had to upgrade my modem to a doc sis 3 but still could not achieve the speeds promised. Contacted Comcast and tech replaced drop cable from pole to house and told me I needed a faster router and to trip branches away from drop cable. Bought a new Netgear 300+ Mbps dual band router - trimmed any interfering branches. Still only getting 11-14Mbps. Comcast chat reps were not able to increase speed by tweeking the modem and powercycling it several times. I was disappointed and frustrated. I searched Google for causes of slow speeds and came across an article that suggested that the firewall and/r the antivirus program could be the culprit(s). The firewall shutdown did nothing but when I turned off Avast free antivirus my speeds increased into the 30 to 48 Mbps range! I mention this for others that are not getting the speed promised.

Now I have to try to find an antivirus program that will not suppress the bandwidth speed.

Frank

I too received an email from Xfinity telling me that they had increased internet speed to 30-50Mbps in my area of SE MIchigan. I had to upgrade my modem to a doc sis 3 but still could not achieve the speeds promised. Contacted Comcast and tech replaced drop cable from pole to house and told me I needed a faster router and to trip branches away from drop cable. Bought a new Netgear 300+ Mbps dual band router - trimmed any interfering branches. Still only getting 11-14Mbps. Comcast chat reps were not able to increase speed by tweeking the modem and powercycling it several times. I was disappointed and frustrated. I searched Google for causes of slow speeds and came across an article that suggested that the firewall and/r the antivirus program could be the culprit(s). The firewall shutdown did nothing but when I turned off Avast free antivirus my speeds increased into the 30 to 48 Mbps range! I mention this for others that are not getting the speed promised.

Now I have to try to find an antivirus program that will not suppress the bandwidth speed.

Frank

Wow - an expensive route to get better bandwidth when the culprit was software! Other thing to realize is that wired connections will always do much better than wireless. I'll routinely get 75MB on wired, and 40-45 on wireless. Although it is so dependent on time of day and usage patterns. Just ran tests and only got 11MB on wireless. But the important thing for me is if my service is uninterrupted and I can stream HD with no problems or delays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)