Comcast customers hate data caps, but making customers hurt is all part of the plan

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
They should do away with data caps for every provider it's a paid service but seems like Comcast likes being in the middle of things. Poke

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/23/11494510/comcast-att-wsj-data-cap-report

The Wall Street Journal has a great report about broadband data caps this week, revealing something everyone already knows: people really don't like the Bullsh!t that huge broadband companies put them through. Through a Freedom Of Information Act request, WSJ found that consumer complaints to the FCC skyrocketed in 2015 as Comcast in particular started ramping up data cap experiments across the country. Complaints about data caps reportedly rose from 863 in the first half of the 2015, to 7,904 in the second half — and continued into 2016 with 1,463 complaints made as of mid-April.Of course people aren't happy about cable company shenanigans, but only a few companies can get away with it like Comcast can, which is one of the biggest reasons the United States' monopolistic broadband market is a huge failure.

Reactions: DetFan
You forgot this part:
Comcast told The Wall Street Journal it's "now actively considering substantially increasing" its data caps. Comcast created those data caps in the first place, likely knowing they would frustrate customers. It's no wonder Comcast and its peers want to grind the FCC into dust — it's the only way they can keep playing games with a critical public utility.

Reactions: Mr Tony
In what marketplace is it assumed that usage is unlimited? We know as consumers that even services that call themselves "unlimited" are limited. Why should Comcast's on-again off-again tinkering be a revelation?

The average consumer likely doesn't have a clue what a data cap is and is not at all likely to hit it. Those consumers that are affected probably consider the alternative to be unlimited data at a low fixed monthly cost. However, if caps are prohibited the providers are more likely to consider/revive another alternative - measured service. This is not all that far fetched considering virtually every public utility uses a measured service model and most cellular customers are already billed in a similar fashion for data. Personally I would much rather have a cap that the average consumer will never hit than measured service/pay for what you use.

I have Windstream internet with NO data cap.
Windstream FAQ said:
Does Windstream have caps on data usage?

Windstream does not manage network congestion by capping an individual customer's usage, reducing the speed of an individual customer's service once a certain amount of usage is exceeded, or other similar strategies.
Not managing the network congestion should not be considered a feather in their no data cap. Simply lay the blame on unidentifyable customers and call it good.

Not managing the network congestion should not be considered a feather in their no data cap. Simply lay the blame on unidentifyable customers and call it good.
I have yet to have any problems or slow downs on their service. I can Skype and use Sling TV at the same time at any given time and their is no drop in picture quality or speed. I simply have 6mbps up (actually closer to 7.1 hardwired to my Roku) and 6.1 on my tablet using Wi-Fi

I have yet to have any problems or slow downs on their service. I can Skype and use Sling TV at the same time at any given time and their is no drop in picture quality or speed. I simply have 6mbps up (actually closer to 7.1 hardwired to my Roku) and 6.1 on my tablet using Wi-Fi
Your needs are modest. Imagine there were three more people in your home doing the same thing. Consider yourself lucky for now. At the neighborhood level, having someone running torrents can really drag a system down.

I subscribe to 25Mbps Comcast and I'm lucky to get 13Mbps after everything settles out and "turbo mode" is no longer in play. On weekends and holidays, it goes down from there.

Wow, there can't be too many people complaining about going through 1TB. Wonder if there is someway to sell the excess? ;)

We are usually around 500gb a month, this month it will hit 700gb because of 4K streaming( new TV, gotta try it out).

I could easily see someone going over 1TB a month with all those options like PS Vue, Netflix, Vudu, etc, PS4 full games downloads and those lovely Windows updates and if you have kids most of them are doing at least 2 things at once involving the Internet.

We are usually around 500gb a month, this month it will hit 700gb because of 4K streaming( new TV, gotta try it out).

I could easily see someone going over 1TB a month with all those options like PS Vue, Netflix, Vudu, etc, PS4 full games downloads and those lovely Windows updates and if you have kids most of them are doing at least 2 things at once involving the Internet.

I'll bet the vast majority of their customers don't go over 1TB and that's why they chose it. You might have to pay for more I guess. I stream some but I don't think I've ever gone over 200GB in a month. Thankfully the vast majority of what I watch I get from Comcast, either DVR'd or On Demand. I don't think On Demand is counted in the data usage.

Your needs are modest. Imagine there were three more people in your home doing the same thing. Consider yourself lucky for now. At the neighborhood level, having someone running torrents can really drag a system down.

I subscribe to 25Mbps Comcast and I'm lucky to get 13Mbps after everything settles out and "turbo mode" is no longer in play. On weekends and holidays, it goes down from there.
I got a letter from Windstream saying that you can use as much as you want, but they keep an eye for people who abuse their service and have the right to terminate service if you abuse their system. Using Sling TV does take a lot of data, but I called them and they are all for Sling TV. They also sell dish services

I got a letter from Windstream saying that you can use as much as you want, but they keep an eye for people who abuse their service and have the right to terminate service if you abuse their system.
If you read their terms and conditions, they contradict the no caps/controls statement with regard to network management. The T&Cs suggest that they are considering tiers and capping and already engage "industry standard" tools to level usage.

If you read their terms and conditions, they contradict the no caps/controls statement with regard to network management. The T&Cs suggest that they are considering tiers and capping and already engage "industry standard" tools to level usage.
The only reason I've kept Windstream is no datacap. If they do impose datacaps, Comcast here I come!! Do you think I should go ahead and drop Sling TV and Order Comcast now with internet? Might be worth it. My monthly costs would go up 39.00....good idea?...

Do you think I should go ahead and drop Sling TV and Order Comcast now with internet? Might be worth it. My monthly costs would go up 39.00....good idea?...
I think you may well be out of the frying pan and into the fire making that transition as long as Windstream meets your needs. Comcast is the Dark Side.

Reactions: andy_horton
If you think that Comcast data caps are bad, imagine the poor rural souls who have to pay for heavily capped satellite internet or wireless home broadband internet? Forget watching ANY video.

If you think that Comcast data caps are bad, imagine the poor rural souls who have to pay for heavily capped satellite internet or wireless home broadband internet? Forget watching ANY video.
Living out in East Jesus is supposed to be its own reward. Apparently it isn't all that. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)