Comcast increases Broadband speeds

Might be how your router is set up....I had a similar issue...turned out to be a traffic shaping issue in the router....I was suddenly able to get 15 up
My download speed went up a few weeks ago. I pay for 150/5 and now get 208/6. I wish they would rase the upload speed more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Might be how your router is set up....I had a similar issue...turned out to be a traffic shaping issue in the router....I was suddenly able to get 15 up
Not all of the franchises have been spending much time on rearranging their uplink configuration. My speed has been bumped twice (30 -> 60 -> 75 Mbps) and the upload speed (5 Mbps) hasn't changed.

I have the 1G speed and the fastest my upload hits is between 40-50.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just seems odd...unless of course they don't want residential customers running a business
Not all of the franchises have been spending much time on rearranging their uplink configuration. My speed has been bumped twice (30 -> 60 -> 75 Mbps) and the upload speed (5 Mbps) hasn't changed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just seems odd...unless of course they don't want residential customers running a business
Comcast makes that abundantly clear in their Terms of Service:
Comcast Agreement for Residental Services said:
You agree that the Service(s) and the Xfinity Equipment will be used only for personal, residential, non-commercial purposes, unless otherwise specifically authorized by us in writing.

Significant increases in upload speeds over DOCSIS won't happen until DOCSIS 4.0 fka DOCSIS 3.1FD is widely adapted. I believe the standard has been finalized by CableLabs and just waiting on hardware manufactures to start producing the appropriate headend equipment and CPE. The fastest upload speed currently seen on cable in around 60 Mbps on the Gigabit tiers from smaller outfits like Mediacom, Atlantic BB, Grande and RCN. The big guys, Comcast, Charter and Cox, top out at 40 Mbps

Reactions: Rey and ncted
Got the gig internet. Doing a speed check it can vary from the 900’s to the 300’s. I wonder how accurate these speed tests are. One thing that never changes is the upload speed. It is always 41.

If you are not consistently getting the speed you are paying for then you should contact your provider.

With gigabit speeds it's can be tough to narrow it down since you're running right along the upper limit of what your hardware is supposed to be capable of. Your fluctuating speeds could be caused by a local capacity problem/oversold node, poor signal levels on a few downstream frequencies or it could be a problem with your router or NIC. If using speedtest.net, test with servers hosted by companies that you know can support higher speeds. None of the 'local' servers speedtest.net suggest ever give me anything close to Gb speed. I tend to use test servers hosted by ISPs, Charter, Frontier and a regional fiber provider called Northland.

This is the result from my suggested server:

This is from a server that can actually handle a gigabit connection:

If you are not consistently getting the speed you are paying for then you should contact your provider.
At which point they will cheerfully remind you of the "up to" qualifier on the product that you subscribe to. My sustained speeds have never been much more than 1/3rd the advertised speed due to the use of "Speed Boost".

Much of this may be associated with the speed tests not being set up for these kinds of speeds as your example illustrates.

Chick-fil-a, I just ran Speedtest using my wired and wireless connection on my iMac. I used my local ISP. Anyhoo, here is the results doing 3 tests on wireless and 3 on wired in around a 5 minute time period. Got Comcast. Wired Test- 495/41.5. 625/41.5. 275/41.3 Wireless- 442/41.3 435/41.6 942/41.1 Check out that last wireless figure. Thats why I doubt Speedtest accuracy.

Bottom line is I have no issues with my internet speeds. Everything runs great. Me be happy. Just kinda wonder about these Speedchecks.

Chick-fil-a, I just ran Speedtest using my wired and wireless connection on my iMac. I used my local ISP. Anyhoo, here is the results doing 3 tests on wireless and 3 on wired in around a 5 minute time period. Got Comcast. Wired Test- 495/41.5. 625/41.5. 275/41.3 Wireless- 442/41.3 435/41.6 942/41.1 Check out that last wireless figure. Thats why I doubt Speedtest accuracy.

Bottom line is I have no issues with my internet speeds. Everything runs great. Me be happy. Just kinda wonder about these Speedchecks.

I think the screen name is EarDemon.

FWIW: I like using more than one speed test. I trust dslreports test the most tbh.

^
Trying to figure out what you meant by EarDemon. I click on that and Chick - Fila comes up. But anyhoo, still Leary about speed checks. My results are all over the place and I have no issues with my speeds.

^
Trying to figure out what you meant by EarDemon. I click on that and Chick - Fila comes up. But anyhoo, still Leary about speed checks. My results are all over the place and I have no issues with my speeds.

My handle on this site is EarDemon, my avatar is Chick-fil-a logo. Not sure why you're not seeing that but doesn't really matter I guess.

Anywho, I guess if it doesn't bother you that you are not getting consistent speeds, that's your prerogative. Me personally, because this is my thing, I would go to the ends of the earth and be making phone calls, have techs come out and the whole nine yards. Not knocking you by any means. I'm supposed to get 20 highway miles to the gallon in my truck, I've never the on-board diagnostics report anything above 17.5 and I don't care. Some people care about fuel economy, I don't. Some people would go to great lengths to improve it, I won't. As absurd as that may sound to some people, not getting a consistent 900 Mbps sounds absurd to me, but if it doesn't bother you or it's not a concern that's fine.

Three or four years ago when I was on Time Warner's 50 x 5 plan, at one point I could max out at 30 - 35 down, I was on the phone within in a few days with my regional manager contact telling him that is unacceptable, especially considering the overprovision to 60 Mbps, I lost half of my speed. During the time I discovered the problem and the time I called him about it and when though a bunch of testing on my end. Turns out while not a direct congestion problem, I live in the middle of nowhere and node utilization reports were coming back with 60 - 70% utilization during prime time, I was on an an older CMTS that was having problems with traffic. I can't remember now if it was the Arris C4, or if I was ungraded to the C4, but once the swap was made I was back where I was supposed to be

While there are some varying options, speedtests should give you a pretty good ball park figure where your speeds are at.
This is the information from Ookla on how speed tests work How does the test itself work? How is the result calculated?

Now your impossible results are not unheard of. Years ago I would get pings of 0 on occasion which is impossible. And on the Windows 10 Ookla app, my upload speed constantly comes back at 60+, which is also impossible since I know for a fact it's provisioned at around 42.5 Mbps. Somewhere I have the direct link to the file that is used to test the speed on the meters that Charter techs use, and I would always get 115 MB to 117 MBps (920 Mbps+) downstream.

Reactions: ncted
At which point they will cheerfully remind you of the "up to" qualifier on the product that you subscribe to. My sustained speeds have never been much more than 1/3rd the advertised speed due to the use of "Speed Boost".

Much of this may be associated with the speed tests not being set up for these kinds of speeds as your example illustrates.

Considering just about all ISPs over provision their speeds by 10% - 20%, you should just about always test over what you pay for, unless you have gigabit. I take it the speed boost you are talking about is what Comcast used to call Power Boost that they implemented in 2006 and eventually licensed to other cable companies? Where you get a temporary increase boot of speed if there is available bandwidth on your node. If so, Comcast and other cable companies stopped using power boost years ago, there's no need for that anymore. Comcast was the first to drop their own technology in 2013.

Comcast to Shelve 'PowerBoost' | Light Reading

If you pay for 100Mb and routinely get 30 Mb, no ISP is going to give you the 'up to' line when you should be getting close to 120 Mb. If you are seeing a third of your advertised speeds there is a problem with or without the non-existant Power Boost.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)