Comcast Sues DirecTV Over 'Deceptive' Claims of 'Free' Televised NFL Games & Response from DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- A federal judge in Illinois today denied Comcast's request for a temporary restraining order (TRO) against DIRECTV in an attempt to handicap the company from advertising its best offer of the year, one where new customers receive the popular NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ package at no extra charge for the 2011 season.
"We're pleased the judge recognized Comcast's veiled attempt to limit our ability to compete in the marketplace and denied the TRO," said Jon Gieselman, senior vice president of Marketing and Direct Sales for DIRECTV. "We're happy to go head-to-head with Comcast any day on whose service is superior, so we look forward to competing in the marketplace rather than the courtroom."

Judge denied a restraining order, effectively saying DircTV can continue the ad campaign. With that, it wouldn't be suprising to see Comcast just drop it, as by the time it is resolved the campaign will ad likely be over.

You know after reading the complaint yesterday, Comcast was not even complaining about what others here (myself included) were talking about...

And I agree with the ruling that DIRECTV received.

I would agree with Comcast on this one... I have seen ads where it says the NFL Sunday Ticket is now included, but there is nothing on the screen saying for new customers only or anything like that. It makes it sound like the NFL Sunday Ticket is free for all DIRECTV customers. Very misleading.

X2
I called DTV last night and again this morning, was told I could get it at a discount last night. I was told a complete different store this morning.:eek:

X2
I called DTV last night and again this morning, was told I could get it at a discount last night. I was told a complete different store this morning.:eek:

If you've only been a customer since the end of March, aren't you still on your new customer promos that you received when you signed up? You got a new customer promo for signing up, correct?

Shucks fellers I am still hunting them 6000 free movies floating around somewhere : )

They KNEW they had no case; ever!! The suit from the very beginning was nothing more than a campaign to misinform the non-common sense-having, knee-jerk reacting public and to stir negative emotions toward a competitor by releasing buzz quotes like:

"Unfortunately for consumers the claim of 'free' is an outright lie" and "DirecTV is engaging false and misleading advertising to consumers regarding its NFL Sunday Ticket package"

They got their comments out there in the public domain and I doubt the dropping of the lawsuit gets nearly the same traction to reverse the opinions already changed (as we have seen with many of the comments here). So they will still gain a small swing for a few court filing dollars.

A similar offer enticed me to Directv in 1998. However the brochure clearly stated, "If you pay for next year, we will give you ST free this year." Thus the verbage was much clearer.

There is never any obligation to pay for any sports package from year to year. You are free to cancel them at any time. But you HAVE to cancel it at some point between the end of this season and the beginning of next season, otherwise you pay for next season. They even remind you the month before..

dtvbill.png

I will say that maybe Comcast should have sued not for false advertising but for violating anti-trust laws. I have no clue how the hell it's legal for DirecTV to pay tons more for Sunday Ticket to be exclusive when football is probably the most popular sport in the country. Because of DirecTV's greed, customers pay a LOT more for Sunday Ticket than they would if it were available to other competitors to make up for the profit loss. It's pathetic and although I desperately want Sunday Ticket, I will NEVER go to DirecTV. Slum of a company in terms of customer service.

DBSOgre said:
I will say that maybe Comcast should have sued not for false advertising but for violating anti-trust laws. I have no clue how the hell it's legal for DirecTV to pay tons more for Sunday Ticket to be exclusive when football is probably the most popular sport in the country. Because of DirecTV's greed, customers pay a LOT more for Sunday Ticket than they would if it were available to other competitors to make up for the profit loss. It's pathetic and although I desperately want Sunday Ticket, I will NEVER go to DirecTV. Slum of a company in terms of customer service.

Many would disagree with you, I for one have no problem that they have an exclusive contract for Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)