Comcast Sues DirecTV Over 'Deceptive' Claims of 'Free' Televised NFL Games & Response from DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No you didn't. Just like any other customer with a living brain cell in their head didn't think that.

man there is a lot of them then..

Take a look at DBSTalk There are sure a lot of confused people there... no matter how YOU try to spin things DIRECTV is the one who made the ads and is the one who caused the issue...

Existing S-print customers can get an Evo 3D. I've been with them for sometime and it replaced an older fone. I don't care for the 3D part, but it was there only unit that had some features I wanted. Back on topic, I did call D* recently about the deal and was told for new customers only, but I could get it with a $10 dis-count. I said "nty."

Take a look at DBSTalk There are sure a lot of confused people there... no matter how YOU try to spin things DIRECTV is the one who made the ads and is the one who caused the issue...

Well what can I say, some people are stupid. These are the same kind of people that need a warning on their coffee cup that the contents is hot.

Existing Sprint customers can get an Evo 3D. I've been with S-print for sometime and it replaced an older phone. I don't care for the 3D part, but it was there only phone that had some features I wanted. Back on topic, I did call D* recently about the deal and was told for new customers only, but I could get it with a $10 discount. I said "nty."

Never said you couldn't. I said you can't get the 'new customer' price on it.

No you didn't. Just like any other customer with a living brain cell in their head didn't think that.

Yeah I guess I don't have any living brain cells in my head cause I thought it was free for everybody this year. Not until I started reading this thread I found out that it ws free only to new customers. That's what I saw that's what I believed. But thank you anyway for your reply/opinion.

yawn and snore of dumb ass lawsuits and the legal fools fighting over stupid word usage that anyone with half of half a brain and some common sense can figure out with 2 secs of reading and paying attention. ultimately this stupid fight costs the end users.

Well...Do I need to add anything more? :p

Yeah I guess I don't have any living brain cells in my head cause I thought it was free for everybody this year. Not until I started reading this thread I found out that it ws free only to new customers. That's what I saw that's what I believed. But thank you anyway for your reply/opinion.

All you have to do is pay the slightest bit of attention to the commercial. It's not even like it's so small or blurry you can't see it, or buried in a 300 word paragraph like car financing disclaimers.

imgp2971.jpg

See? It's right there. "New approved customers only".

Jeez they could have it take up 30% of the screen and have it flash red with a buzzing noise and people would still bitch that they didn't know.

Last edited:
man there is a lot of them then.. Take a look at DBSTalk There are sure a lot of confused people there... no matter how YOU try to spin things DIRECTV is the one who made the ads and is the one who caused the issue...

I disagree Scott; people without any care to follow up on the business / contractual details ("some restrictions apply" the most used phrase today) and those without personal responsibility or any basic ability to understand how business has worked for the past 3+ decades causes the issues.. Fools and idiots will ALWAYS be fools and idiots and expect everyone else to bail them out and try to idiot-proof things for them. Or they will find some gung-ho lawyer to sue "deep pockets" because they were / are too stupid to figure out such simple things on their own (aka economic blackmail). Sadly that has become the weak American way and its killing us.

NO!!!! They should sink or swim on their own. We need to thin the herd.

I will end with a sad but true comparative analogy: "guns don't kill people; people kill people". You don't hold gun makers liable for the stupid people; and you don't end the production of guns. Dumb asses will be just that; be it with guns, rocks, knives, cars, booze or business transactions.

Last edited:
Well what can I say, some people are stupid. These are the same kind of people that need a warning on their coffee cup that the contents is hot.
I consider myself a pretty smart person. Triple digit IQ, sleptwalk through one of the hardest, most rigorous Clinical Massage Therapy schools in the country and still finished with honors, etc. When I heard them say ver and over that it was included free. I took it as face value. This was before I signed up for my own service. I was on the building I live in DTV service before hand and for a minute I thought they were including it.

Then after so many times of seeing those ads, I figured it was for new customers only, and got it when I signed up. The Auto-Renew was kind of blown past in the explanation.

Either way, it's still kind of deceptive.

Comcast own adds are misleading as well. With hidden fees and lot of the deals they make a big deal about are 2 year lock ins as well.

on the web site they say

Subscribe to the HD Triple Play
Free HD with no HD equipment or access fees, faster Internet and unlimited calling

but the hidden in fine print says Minimum 2-year contract required, After 24 months, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular charges apply. TV and Internet service limited to a single outlet. Equipment, installation, taxes, franchise fees, the Regulatory Recovery Fee and other applicable charges(e.g., per-call or international charges) extra. Voice: $29.95 activation fee may apply TV: Basic service subscription required to receive other levels of service

Not listed is the $7+ EMAT rent fee, the $7-$9+ per outlet / box fee after the main box. HD DRV on the main box is a higher fee and HD DRV's on each tv after box 1 is outlet + DRV fee.

Other parts of comcast web site says Most live sports available. So where is the stuff that is only on Directv?

also not in the fine print but one of the order pages is Each additional TV you connect requires a one-time activation fee.

This is a scare tactic from comcrap. They are mad cause they are losing subscribers and money to D*, E* and other service providers. The problem with NBC is costing them money as well. D* most likely has their legal team looking into comcraps advertising as well and will file a counter suit.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
A sprint bumper goes... "Get your new Evo 3D now exclusively from Sprint"
A DirecTV bumper goes "now get the NFL Sunday Ticket at no extra charge."

Tell me how thats not deceptive.

They're not lying, but, just not telling the whole truth either. Same with the free HD offer. It has become a way of life for advertisers. Insert your own adjective here................

I'm sure the ads will be changed and nothing more will be said about it and the lawsuit will be dropped or they will get a slap on the wrist...if that. However, the ads did create a LOT of 'buzz' (free publicity) for Direct TV. Maybe that was the plan all along. I am NOT defending Direct TV for this... even though I am a long time customer, rather I am making an observation.

funny stuff....ads are misleading. My local Wendy's burgers just don't look like the ones in the commercials,. They say what they say and then it is up to the consumer to check things out. I suppose that some of you guys would be upest to find out that the Dos Equis guy can't actually impregnate women with just a glance. I saw the Season Ticket included commercial and didn't think for one second that I was getting it for free.

So Scott, yea, I will defend D* on this one, advertising is what it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)