Comcast Sues DirecTV Over 'Deceptive' Claims of 'Free' Televised NFL Games & Response from DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There was hardly competition for the package. DirecTV prepared to pony up a TON of money to sign it exclusively. That's ok. My high speed internet will just get me those games for free if I really want them. I'd be willing to pay for them if the NFL weren't so shortsighted and stupid in negotiating for Sunday Ticket. :)

JerseyMatt said:
The core target for any of the sports packs is for the out of market or 'displaced' fan who can no longer receive their favorite teams locally. I subscribe to Center Ice solely to get the Devils games, because I am not content only being able to see them the few times they play Colorado or St. Louis (and then it would be opponent commentary). The fact that I can watch any other game in the league is gravy. Some may consider the cost to be high, but as someone who attended many games per season when I lived in NJ, when you rack up the cost of the ticket, parking, and refreshments/food, it's the same price as going to two games (one or less if you sat close). It's a tiny fraction of the price of season tickets.

You're right. I'm speaking of my personal perspective on the issue. With Center Ice, you can at least watch a game nightly. Again, my perspective. I'm saying, if football was a nightly sport with more than 16 games per team, all on the same day for ST arguing purposes, I'd be a DirecTV customer right now.

ComcastOgre said:
There was hardly competition for the package. DirecTV prepared to pony up a TON of money to sign it exclusively. That's ok. My high speed internet will just get me those games for free if I really want them. I'd be willing to pay for them if the NFL weren't so shortsighted and stupid in negotiating for Sunday Ticket. :)

I'll say again, not a popular decision, and some bull crap in my opinion, but they wanted to limit access, knowing that not every football fan would switch. ST isn't considered in ratings. And it's all about ad revenue.

I dont look at it as, DirecTV is at fault. NFL wants 1 company holding it.

Can't blame DirecTV for bidding the highest. Everyone will be mad somehow, but its not DirecTV. Blame the NFL.

Look at what they did in 2005. The NFL negotiated with EA Sports and sold them the exclusive rights to make NFL video games. I haven't played an NFL video game since. I haven't played Madden since 1997 and don't plan on playing it ever again. NFL 2K was a way better game, but the brainwashed masses believed all the hype and bought into the Bullsh!t.

Now there are people left without a football game to play, unless they buy Madden.

The NFL does that.

Slightly similar, but at least Madden can be bought for a PS3 and 360. Even PS2 still if I'm not mistaken. Sunday Ticket, you have DirecTV or you don't have Sunday Ticket. That's why Justin.TV will be put to good use once I get my high speed internet going. I would feel guilty getting my games that way if the NFL gave me a choice in the matter.:)

Ugh. You really don't get it. So you're saying NO COMPANY should EVER be allowed to be an exclusive outlet for a product? So PS3 owners should sue Microsoft because they don't release Halo or Fable or Gears of War to Sony? 360 owners should sue Sony because they don't release Killzone or Uncharted or Gran Turismo to Microsoft? Or that Rockstar and Square-Enix did something illegal and violated antitrust laws by buying exclusive rights with Sony for their games? Yes I know they've since gone cross platform, but for over a decade if you wanted to play Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy you had to buy a Playstation. So in your warped mind, that practice should be illegal, right?

Get a clue dude.

I was waiting for another troll post from a DirecTV customer with a rediculous argument. Video games are an entirely different industry and the combined income from EVERY exclusive title on BOTH systems wouldn't match the money that could be made off of Sunday Ticket. And yes, I'm including Halo in that remark as well. COD is FAR better anyways, even to the dozens of hardcore Halo fans I know. It's comparing apples to steak. LOL Apples aren't bad for those that like fruit, but I know FAR more people that would prefer a steak. Unless maybe you're a horse or a vegetarian. The ONLY comparable features are that there is the word video in each name. Video games and video provider / video channel. But I digress. No need to beat a dead horse. DirecTV has always had shady business practices, and it's probably not gonna change any time soon. Not a good idea to argue against DirecTV in a DirecTV Forum filled with people looking for an argument. LOL I forfeit.

Last edited:
Umm sorry, you're the troll. The nonsense you've posted is totally wrong (since you can't even tell the difference between antitrust issues and an exclusive carriage contract), and you're here solely to argue your incorrect point and place blame on the wrong company. So bye! :caked:

I think we've settled the argument about the differences between antitrust issues and exclusive contracts. Selective reading much? I know DirecTV's Sunday Ticket contract isn't illegal, although anybody that doesn't have DirecTV has the common sense to see that it should be. NFL is more responsible than DirecTV for the exclusivity, I know. And nonsense is comparing NFL Sunday Ticket with a video game. LOL We are allowed to argue our points, but I can see why even with a smaller member count that DBSTalk gets a higher percentage of participation from members. It's more fun to argue with someone that has an argument that makes sense instead of bickering when they disagree. It's unfortunate. :(

We should probably just close this thread since there will just be a fountain of skewed opinion, mis-information and completely unrelateable arguments. Comcast apparently got what they wanted and dropped the lawsuit. The fact is DirecTV will have Sunday Ticket for at least a few more years exclusively, like it or not. Nothing that can be done about it on our end. Just do some digging online for video streams, and you'll find most of the games if you can't handle DirecTV like me.

Nonsense, huh? Despite your rather wordy attempt at an argument that really said nothing, it IS the same thing. Exclusive carriage has the same meaning whether it is a video game, a sports package, or a brand of ice cream. Means if you want the product, you are stuck going to the outlet that carries it. Anyone with minimal common sense and a third grade education understands that.

I thought you were leaving.

Last edited:
LOL. I can't have a battle of wits with a completely unarmed person. Saying an exclusive video game contract is the same as an exclusive TV channel / package contract or exclusive ice cream deal (bring back WWE ice cream bars!) only proves my point. I'm predicting that someone thinks they know a lot more than is actually the case. I'm guilty of that time to time. I guess I learned that at some point before graduating high school. LOL I think DirecTV employees and customers are starting to actually believe they are the people you see in those rediculous commercials. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Matt owns one of those mini giraffes. :)

We should probably just close this thread since there will just be a fountain of skewed opinion, mis-information and completely unrelateable arguments. Comcast apparently got what they wanted and dropped the lawsuit. The fact is DirecTV will have Sunday Ticket for at least a few more years exclusively, like it or not. Nothing that can be done about it on our end. Just do some digging online for video streams, and you'll find most of the games if you can't handle DirecTV like me.

Comcast didn't get jack. The judge pretty much told them they were full of sh*t when he threw out their restraining order, and they apparently realized they don't have a case and decided to cut their losses and slink away with their tail between their legs. If you really want to get into things that ARE illegal, I got 4 words for you.. CSN Philly. So yeah.. Thats what I thought..

LOL. I can't have a battle of wits with a completely unarmed person. Saying an exclusive video game contract is the same as an exclusive TV channel / package contract only proves my point. I'm predicting that someone thinks they know a lot more than is actually the case. I'm guilty of that time to time. I guess I learned that at some point before graduating high school. LOL
You've already proved that you couldn't have a battle of wits with a pineapple. So stop embarrassing yourself and just go away.

Says the person who won't have an intelligent argument and just decides to insult someone for their opinions on the matter. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. How bout voicing your opinion like some at least half your age and not acting like a giant...well...opinion?

I can't comment on the CSN situation cuz I am not even switched from Dish Network to Comcast yet. I will agree with you that it's shady how Comcast does it, but DirecTV plays the same tricks with even bigger programming. Pot calling the kettle black there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)