Comparing the OTA tuner betwwen 722 and DTVpal DVR

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I thought I might be able to move away from my trusty Dish DTVpal DVR by using the OTA tuner in the 722. But I think the OTA tuner in the DTVpal DVR is far superior to the OTA tuner in the 722.

I'm definitely on the fringe for OTA, but there really is no comparison between the two tuners. Where the 722 OTA would break-up and not hold a signal, but the DTVpal DVR is crystal clear with no break-ups and everything else about the setup is exactly the same.

i think the difference is the MicroTune MT3141 digital tuner in the DTVpal DVR.

What tuner is in the USB OTA tuner that is designed for the Hopper? And does that USB OTA tuner work with a 722?

I believe you are right, my experience with DISH DTV PAL the tuners are much better than any DISH satellite receiver with ATSC. If DISH can do it with the cheap DTV PALs why is their satellite receiver performance so poor.

I had(722)/have(PAL-DVR and USB). Out of the three, the 722 OTA tuner seemed more directional. As Ice said, the USB tuner only works with a Hopper.

The ATSC tuners in my TV's were definitely better than the 722k module. I had a standalone Zenith (LG) ATSC tuner/converter that worked better, as well. I don't know how the 722k module compares to the 722's built-in tuner, though. They've definitely improved things with the Hopper OTA module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)