Comparison test and review of ESX521 and JSC321s Ku LNBFs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hwm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
North Central Idaho
This is a review of the WSI ESX521 Ku Standard LNBF, comparing it to the DMSI JSC321s Standard Ku LNBF. Both are considered hot performers in the Ku LNBF market at this time: June 2011.

Both claim a noise figure of 0.2dB. The ESX521 has a conversion gain rating of 70-75dB, while the JSC321s is rated at 50dB gain by the mfg.

The dish used for this test is a WSI model WS7630, 76cm in size. SES1@101w was chosen for signal comparison and rating, since it has a stable signal at my location, and I have a clear view of it from my backyard test bench. The receiver is a Coolsat 6000 with the latest aftermarket true FTA software loaded. Ten feet of RG-6 coax cable with as-new connectors was used.

The weather was broken clouds with no surface wind, and the ambient temperature was 65 degrees F.

This test was done at the request of WSI, who furnished their LNB included in the test. The ESX521 was tested at the beginning of the session, and again at the end, to minimize differences caused by changing atmospheric conditions or satellite signal strength. There was no difference in signal Quality level recorded at those two times, about 45 minutes apart.

Every effort was made to fine-tune dish aim, LNBF position in holder, and skew for each LNBF and transponder tested.

SES1@101w
Transponder 12060H. ESX521-69%Q, and JSC321s-72%Q
Transponder 12120V. ESX521-69%Q, and JSC321s-74%Q

Finally, for comparison and discussion, an older Grundig 0.8dB rated Ku Standard LNBF was also tested today on SES1. The results are as follows: 12060H-74%Q, and 12120V-73%Q.

Your results may vary. I can only report what I recorded in careful testing.

LNBs.jpgLNBs3.jpgdish.jpgGrundig.jpgsky.jpg
I was unable to post to the review section. Moderators please move it there if desired.

pencil.png

Last edited:
I got influenced by this review, and purchased JSC321s. It arrived yesterday, so I removed ESX521 and mounted the JSC321s. And.. I gained between 10 and 15 points in signal quality on every channel. Signal strength, on the other hand, decreased from 82 to 78. They are the same price, so JSC321s is clearly the winner. And, this gray LNBF looks nicer on my gray dish :)

That has been my experience as well - the JSC321 edges out the ESX521 - test several of each.
Bob

I was really hoping the WSI ESX521 would do better, since the folks at WSI are so nice to do business with, but the performance just wasn't there.

I would like to see a comparison test of the latest and greatest Ku LNBFs by someone with the equipment to measure the noise figure and conversion gain.

Thanks HWM
I had a AlbaX 0.3 universal.
I bought a HSX521 Nov 2011 and did not use it yet.
I read this review and found a JSC321s for a good deal and bought it.

I just tried the HSX521 and the JSC321s on a 36" dish and JSC321s was best, then HSX521, last was the AlbaX 0.3 Universal pointing at 97W.

So in the end I should have done my homework BEFORE buying the HSX512. It's good BUT not as good as the JSC321s which can be had for under $10.

Good the reviews coming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)