Compass you look through?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

asmodee

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I had a professional install my 85cm dish (on a DMSi SG2100) at my new residence last year. He claimed at the location the dish was installed that I should have line of sight from AMC 6 (72.0W) to AMC 7 (137W). He used a compass type device that you look through and it shows elevation as well. What are these called and is there a cheap one that's not junk?

I have an Invacom QPH-031. I am able to get as low as 72W, but cannot get above 119W. Last year I was occasionally able to get very weak Q on 121W, but not anymore. I thought the first night I was first messing with the motor that I had managed to get G13 (127W), but since then I can't get above 119W. I'm sure my motor is tracing the arc rather accurately because I'm able to get every ku sat between 72W and 119W.

I really want to get whatever sat is at 123W these days and want to verify that my dish is able to get line of sight and it's just an aiming issue, or if the sat installer erroneously told me I could get line of sight up to 137W (I reailze there's no ku sats between 129W and 137W).

I really want to get whatever sat is at 123W these days and want to verify that my dish is able to get line of sight

Use the satellite calculator located from THE LIST page. Once you get your magnetic heading, hold your compass away from any metal (i.e. watch, belt buckle) and sight your compass picking an object on your horizon to point at. Then build one of the inclinometers that were previously discussed here. (search for inclinometer) any you will be able to tell if you have a line of sight issue or not.

Satellite Angle Calculator - SatelliteGuys.US

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...a-straw-inclinometer-line-sight-pictures.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)