Completely Confused!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arkansas Winger

Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
:confused: I was getting ready to bid on an H-10 receiver on ebay thinking I would be getting a HD receiver. After reading the forums I am not sure that is the case.

Question: What receivers should I be looking for that will provide me with HD viewing?

Thanks in advance.

Directly from DirecTV's HD FAQ's.

"If you open the access card front door panel located on the bottom right corner of your receiver, you'll find a white sticker with the model number. You must have one of the following model numbers to receive DIRECTV HD programming: H20, H21, HR20 or HR21. You can also check your receiver model on your On-Screen Menu: Go to Settings -> Set Up -> Info & Test.?

That's correct, it is an HD receiver but not for the MPEG4 channels. I have one that needs to be updated but since it's hooked to a SD TV I'm in no particular hurry. If I were starting out new I'd go with models in NutFlush's post.

I think that an H10 would be an HD receiver but only for the MPEG2 channels like the HR10 DVRs.
Bingo - it is an "HD receiver", but you'd only get about 10 HD channels of the roughly 100 with that model, and eventually you wouldn't get any. (just to expand on the already given MPEG-4 explanation, in case that doesn't mean anything to you)

You'd want an H2* to get all of the current HD channels (of even better an HR2* DVR! :D ).

What dish do you have on your roof? If you have an older dish, you won't get any of the new HD channels no matter what receiver you add. You need the 5-LNB slimline dish to get the new HD channels (including HD locals).

5-LNB dish:

e020_1.jpg

If you also need the new dish, I'd give D* a call and see what they'll do for you. And are you adding a receiver in a new location or replacing an existing receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.