Component Cable vs. HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am a big fan of HDMI just because of the single cable rule it makes my home theater setup alot cleaner also the DD sound that you simply cant get via compent another issues.
Yes I have tos link cables for auto but that is also a royal pain to deal with.

I currently have a R22 receiver and it is currently connected to my HDTV with a component cable, I am receving 480p on my receiver although it has the ability for 1080i ( I can only get 1080i if i download a movie from on demand, or some other way) Would it make a difference if I connected and used an HDMI cable on the 480p or not?

Are you saying here that if one has a 1080i/p HDTV capable of 1080x1920 and you set the D* reciever to that top resolution - that the receiver defaults back down to 480p? My Comcast receiver auto defaults to 720P after you turn it off and back on.

Please respond ASAP - seriously considering signing up for D* - last day of present tempting DEAL!

TKS michael

I dont think the receiver is capable of the 1080i resolution unless I have another receiver in the house that is HD? Or atleast this is what I gather. If I Download a movie from on-demand and its in the 1080i resolution it will switch to that resolution and then switch back after I exit out of the movie. It switches to 480p. Is there a way to keep this thing on 720p ??

That is exactly WHAT I was wondering........that would meant that D* Receivers auto down convert to 480P on probably most programming transmissions - RIGHT?:confused:

What model of receiver do you have? If it's HiDef, set the resolution to 1080i. The TV will set the signal to the best that it is capable. The 480 cutoff for component is for products manufactured afte 12,31 and all products, late. I don't have Direct, anymore. When I had it the VOD was 1080p.:D

I think the OP may have a failing unit or a buggy firmware. Basically the R22 was just a HR21 that was firmware-neutered into an SD box, but then it was re-enabled last year. They are not supposed to 'default' back to 480 when turned off. Like the Ronco Rotisserie, you set it and forget it. And they definitely do not downconvert everything to 480 as the norm. The output resolution is determined by the settings. If I understand correctly, the box may be set to NATIVE resolution, which automatically changes the output resolution based on what the original program format is. So an HD program would output 720 or 1080, but an SD program would switch to 480. But it definitely should not be losing settings when it is in standby (turned 'off'). You also shouldn't need 'another' HD receiver to get HD on that. You would just have to have the HD on your account.

You might want to check the Directv website to see what is available in hd. There are some 160 channels.

Funny story, I just went into the system settings and under the HDTV setting disabled the 480p setting under TV Resolution and I can see a difference. However the menus look blurry or maybe I just not used to seeing them in a higher resolution? Also I had the HDMI cable hooked up earlier and some channels/menus flickered different shades before settling down, Not sure why they did that... I unhooked the HDMI cable and I Will just stick with the component cables, as I hooked the XBox 360 up via HDMI.

Agreed, I used a combination of both cables for my system (comp for Xbox, HDMI for Direct etc) and I see no difference in picture, they both look great. I am one of the idiots that have purchased $100 cables and havent seen the difference between those and the $20 cables either. I know some have, I havent.
Or the $2 cables from monoprice

Just a little tidbit, if you watch any sports or other fast action, you would be better off leaving it on 720p. Progressive is much better for fast action than interlace.

Well got to playing with the receiver a little more and disabled the 720p (leaving only the 1080i enabled) and pressed the RES button on front of the receiver a few times and it seems to be staying in 1080i mode.

Just a little tidbit, if you watch any sports or other fast action, you would be better off leaving it on 720p. Progressive is much better for fast action than interlace.

I agree, but many people think that because 1080 is a larger number than 720 they figure the 1080 is the better of the two options .... :rolleyes:

People will go round and round comparing the two.

Tyler,
Your setting your trying to adjust is dependant on weather or not you have Native ON or OFF.

Jimbo, in regards to an earlier post by you on this thread, are you saying with a blueray player mated with a 1080p tv that if I use the component connection between the two that I will NOT get a true 1080p picture on my set? I am using my only HDMI input for my H24. I just purchased this 40 inch Samsung on Black Friday at Best Buy. Darn thing only has 1 HDMI input. Was not looking at the set close enough. Someone mentioned somewhere that this TV was specifically put together for Black Friday in that there are no frills on this set and that the goal was to keep the price down. Great pic but I'm wishing there were additional HDMI inputs.

Jimbo, in regards to an earlier post by you on this thread, are you saying with a blueray player mated with a 1080p tv that if I use the component connection between the two that I will NOT get a true 1080p picture on my set?

That is correct. While component is CAPABLE of passing 1080p, there is no device that will do it due to AACS restrictions. Basically they don't want to make it so easy to create a high quality copy of anything that just anyone can do it. Yes, it can be done by your average 12 year old geek, but they bank on the masses not knowing how because like any hacking there is a learning curve.

How do I check the native? Also I called DirecTV complaining about the slowness of the my R22 and they are sending me a new replacement receiver. Does anyone know if they will send me the same one or a brand new one?

well unless your in a mpeg4 area you might end up with an r16. Had it happen to a custome in a non mpeg4 local area got lucky enough to get a r22 complain about something minor sent him out an repacement box an r16 as r22 are not viewed as hd boxes and the my friend tried yelling at us bu there was nothing we can do R22 are rare

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts