Compression connector question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I bought a connector kit which uses PPC EX6XL connectors.
It came with a compression tool which looks lie a "V" when it's open. You put in the RG6 in the crotch with the connector on it and push the two legs of the V together to compress the fitting. It works fine.
I just bought a 500' spool of quad RG6 from Home Depot (Carol). I got a great deal on it.
Will those EX6XL compression fittings work on the quad cable?
If not, what connectors will I need?

Thanks

yep they will work. I've used those on quad cable...she's kinda tight (gotta crank on them) but it works :)

You'll need connectors (and a stripper for that matter) rated for quad shield. The pack that the connectors came in should tell you if they are for quad shield or not.

I've never used quad, IMO its overkill for FTA unless you have a long run or RFI problems.

Someone with more experience than me will chime in though, I am sure. :cool:

I find that the advantage of quad shield cable, is that it has plenty of shield ! :) Often , standard 2100 MHZ rated rg-6 is pretty poor stuff and the amount of grounded conductor , which has to carry motor current, is really quite low. The quad shield, not only drains spurious signals nicely ( which is not generally necessary) but also has a lot of metal to provide a good electrical connection. As an electrician, I like larger guage wire for its better current carrying ability.

:)

The reason I went for it is that they were selling it for the same price as the regular RG6.
$47 for the 500' spool.
I figured I couldn't go wrong.

The reason I went for it is that they were selling it for the same price as the regular RG6.
$47 for the 500' spool.
I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Absolutely. That's a screaming deal. :up I think I paid $65.00 shipped in early 2007 for 1000 feet of regular 3Ghz RG6, shipped. From some place in Indy...not even in business anymore...

Oh, and here's a tip for you, make friends with a cable TV tech, and you'll never have to buy connectors again. I get mine 50/bag. :D

If the fitting goes on easy, then yes, use it. There are many different brands of cable and some of the quad shield fits rg6 fitting well. If you have to fight it on or trim the casing then find some quad shield fittings. You have to ask yourself why it wont fit and what it is doing to the cable to make it fit (dammaging). Most strippers are adjustable with an allen wrench but I use my rg6 setting and its fine.

I use PPC-EX6's on quad cable with no problems. These are great connectors, by the way. All I use are these and the Digicon (F-Conn) fittings. Lately, I've been using only the PPC-EX6 for F-fittings and the Digicon (F-Conn) for RCA and BNC fittings.

Those are great fittings.. better than the cmp-6 ppc when it comes to quad cable. Yes... they're gonna be tight and may wear out your fingers.. but they will work. 2 tips. (especially with it getting cold) You can use a lighter to warm the cable first before putting the fitting on. Notice I said warm... not burn. The fittings will go on better if the cable is plyable vs being really stiff. Another great tool.. I believe it's called a bo-dickey. It looks like a screwdriver with but the end has a place for fitting to go in and you can push it on with that. If you're doing a lot of fittings it's a good investment, if you only have a few it may not be worth it for you, but it's not a real expensive tool.

I got another tool that works pretty well for pushing on connectors. It's a little T handle thing and you screw the connector onto it so you can push the connector on the cable. I think I might have got it at Rat Shack or maybe even Home Depot. I've had these gizmos for a couple years and showed them to my neighbor and he bought one like it but not the same. It's more like pliers and it's easier to squish the fitting with his.

Thanks for the help everyone

Has anyone used the the "PPC EX6XLWS" with the rubber seal? I was thinking of ordering up some connectors and thought they might be nice for the outside end.

Always keep outside connectors horizontal if possible and route the cable into at least one loop so that water runs away from the connector. Water running into a connector will cause even the good ones to "rot" .

Attachments

• DP34_1.jpg
    DP34_1.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 223
Has anyone used the the "PPC EX6XLWS" with the rubber seal? I was thinking of ordering up some connectors and thought they might be nice for the outside end.

They look cool but are just as useless as weather boots. Just use dielectric in the fitting and silicone based self vulcanizing tape over your fittings to keep the water out. A good brand of tape is mocap.

Hey Cadsulfide

Is that a Primestar box hanging on the pole? In all the dishes I snagged from yards I never got the box. Wish I had. I found a box at Home Depot for sprinkler control electronics that works pretty well but is not nearly so spacious

PS
While at Home Depot yesterday I noticed they sold the PPC fittings. They seemed a bit expensive though. They wanted $35 for 50 of them. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
Be wary of the PPC's that are sold by the Big Box retailers, as they are usually NOT the commercial-grade PPC-EX6's (and are waaay overpriced)...

Hey Cadsulfide

Is that a Primestar box hanging on the pole? In all the dishes I snagged from yards I never got the box. Wish I had. I found a box at Home Depot for sprinkler control electronics that works pretty well but is not nearly so spacious

PS
While at Home Depot yesterday I noticed they sold the PPC fittings. They seemed a bit expensive though. They wanted $35 for 50 of them. Does that sound right?

Yep, found it at the town dump. Pretty much anything that keeps most of the rain out will do. Another hint, small cable ties work great for tagging your cables, one two, three, etc.

I miss dumps
We don't get to have them here. We have to put everything in big trucks and they take it away and hide it.
I miss surplus stores too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts