confused about software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

airgator96

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Kansas City BBQ Heaven
Hey guys,

Looking over the pc dvb section there seems to be quite a few ideas about software, and what you need... And quite frankly the tsreader thingy seems expensive, and complicated. So basicly I would like to know......

What is exactly needed?

This is basicly what I want to do.

1. Since there is no blind scan I will use my fortec to blind scan, then plug in the numbers to my USB reiever.

2. Use this as a PVR

3. Watch 420 & 422

4. If EPG is possilbe that would be great

5 Intragrat with Micro Media Center

6. Spend as less a possible

7. Keep it as simple as possible

What do you recommend?

thanks guys

DVB Dream. I use it right now and I love it. Does everything you want to do listed above that I know of, but I'm not sure about the Media Center. How well? I'm not sure. I know it does the EPG, but I haven't used it. I know it does the PVR recording, but I can't tell you how well. It definitely does 422 and 420. It's free though. And you can use any (well, I think so) codec you want. Get a hold of FFDShow-tryouts for codecs...it's open source and free and if you're computer is fast enough, you won't have to worry about codecs! It does it all and well. TSReader is very cool for it's simplicity and ease of use, but DVBDream is only a few more clicks and it does everything as easy as TSReader, especially with FFDShow. Give it a shot! There are forums there that can help you out if you have any questions.

DVB Dream is good software, ASSUMING YOU HAVE A SLIGHTLY HIGH END Enough SPEC COMPUTER TO RUN IT! By High End, I mean something that's probably 2.5 ghz or better with probably 1k ram or better... high end by a few years old standards, probably low end by today's standards. My 1.5 ghz 512 mb ram emachine with a usb2 pci card installed is not high end enough for DVB Dream, at least when using the DVB World Box USB 2 Device. When I used DVB DREAM, it worked fine sometimes, but often gave me lots of issues... for instance I'd often get 0 mb recordings. There were lots of suggestions in here on how to fix my issues, but I've discovered the real issue is that the computer just ain't quick enough to keep up with DVB Dream as a recording device.

I switched to using the Nextorm Software that came with the DVB World Box and ALL IS FINE. I do still keep things going good by saving on my C: drive with the main recordings, and then editing them, and saving edited files on J: drive before moving them to DVD later, all the while making sure to delete unused files, emptying trash and doing a defrag every time I do all of that. Defragging is very important if you plan to use your computer as a pvr... especially if you use it with a lot on a regular weekly or daily basis... but having a high end enough spec computer to match the software you plan to use is important too. Make sure you have what you need to do what you are trying to do.

Also, be sure to have the right software to do edits and stuff. TONS AND TONS of software is out there, both commercial and freeware, so test, test, and then test some more. What works for me best may not work for you, and both our choices in what works best is going to be different than what someone else uses.... but I will say if you have DVB World USB Device, the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method of using Nextorm software that comes with the software is your best bet to go with as a PVR. I went directly to DVB Dream as a software after posting something similar to this thread in here many, many months ago.... Do use the software that comes with your equipment, and test it as much as possible. If you go with some other options down the road and find they work better for some things for you, go with what works for what functionality that works best for you. Do try lots of things... just don't make the assumption like I did long ago that DVB Dream is best software for your uses on your computer based on posts in here without testing stuff out yourself.

Also don't assume that one software program can do it all. I use lots of different programs to different things... Counting nextorm, I usually use one program to record, one to edit, one or more to possibly reedit (sometimes several depending on if I want to record to dvd or to an video file that's just for computer use - main theory on editing in these boards is video redo is best since it doesn't reencode, which makes it faster and since it can pretty well convert , but take that advice with caution since other software sometimes work better depending on what you are trying to do... I've found winavi is great for downsizing mpgs if you save as mpgs and change your target size in options if your recording ends up being over 5 gigs and you are trying to record to a 4 gig dvd, which does occassionally happen if the satellite you are recording off of has high enough bitrates and stuff), another software or four to convert mpgs in to dvd's vob and ifos, etc. - (depending on what I want to do as far as bitrate, quality, target mb size, and several other factors go - so far converting mpg to dvd files I'm really liking DVD Styler, which is free, but have used other software and sometimes like what the others do better for some things since some other options might be a little faster or better for fancier options and stuff), and another software to record the isos in to dvd (I use Nero, but other free options might or might not work better for you?)...

There's lots and lots of software out there for each step in using your computer as a pvr... usually one software will be a better option for you because it usually has one or two functions that it does better than the rest... but you won't really know a lot about all of that until you test quite a bit on different things and try it for yourself and see what works best. I will say that using computers as pvr is a way better solution than just going after a ready made solution like a dvd recording machine or tivo type thing, but that's just my opinion...

Above all - remember, opinions are like arm pits - we all got them... sometimes they smell ok if we use d.o., sometimes they stink, and sometimes they smell very badly (especially after going to work out and then doing lots of yard work without showering)... opinions on what software to use given by people in here can sometimes be like listening to a town gossip, or sometimes can be like listening to a Preacher who is really teaching the Gospel... or sometimes can be like listening to a wacky tele-evangelist leading a cult like the one that was in Wako, Texas a few years back....

Last edited:
I think MasterMesh's suggestions are pretty well written.

In addition, I'd like to add that while I recommend DVBdream to try first, it won't support all devices.
Get something that will handle whatever card or USB box you have.

Much as I hate to suggest MyTheatre, it is in regular development, and does support nearly everything.
I've used the latter to record dozens of hours of programming.
And that was USB on a 1.5ghz Celeron laptop !

If you want to turn your recordings into DVDs, there are many ways.
Request info on that subject, if you desire it, because that's a whole 'nother book to digest.
Suffice it to say that I use VideoReDo for editing and cleanup, and DVD Labs Pro for authoring.
VideoReDo will release an extended editor with authoring features, later this summer.

I love two programs for DVB PC viewing. DVBDream for viewing feeds that don't move (non-wild feeds). TSReader for viewing 4:2:2 video and other wild feeds. Combined with a standard STB for blindscanning and TSReader for feed analyzing you can do some serious feed hunting.

TSReader lite is all you need if you just want to see what a stream contains, but if you want to watch the video or record it you'll need the full version. I use my TSReader just about everyday to view and record video.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)