Confused with Elevation and Declination

Status
Please reply by conversation.

speedy1906

Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Hello everyone,

I am in NC (USA) and I am trying to install my Winegard 30" dish with a SG2100 motor with an Invacom QPH3100 LNB (I hope I was right). I have everything set up but I am confused with the elevation and Declination. My Lat. is 35 deg, HH mount elevation is 55 deg, and declination is 5.64 deg. I read a guide which states set the dish elevation angle to 30 degrees minus the declination angle. So is this 30 - 5.64 = 24.36 degrees? My sat signals are low on all sats 50-60 signal strength thats if I get any signal. Thanks for your help!!!!!

Motor should be at 55 deg. and dish should be at 24 deg.

One side of the motor is marked in LAT and the other elevation.

If you are getting low signals, stand behind the dish ans gently pull back on each side of the dish wheile watching the signal quality. You may see it RISE

One Step Closer

:tux: OK. I am still trying to set up my dish (30", SG2100, & QPH3100) I was moving it around as insrtucted and found Gallaxy 11 (91.0) when my settings was on echostar 6,8. I am looking for 79.0 degrees to make as my reference. Should I move more to the left to get to 79.0 degrees? Any suggestions would help. I will be checking while I try to warm up. ITS COLD OUT here 23 deg F!

If you are having trouble remove the motor, refind G11 then from behind the dish move the dish 12 deg to the left or (East) to 79w

Please keep all your posts in this thread rather than start a new thread each time, as you will get more help that way if members can look over everything done so far.

Thanks!

Don't give up!

Thank you. I will keep it in the same thread!

Can I move the dish with the motor on the pole without removing the motor I have been doing it thus far. I have my TV and STB (VS2000PLat) out there with me and when I move the dish to the left east G11 goes away and signal strength drops. I am moving it very slow. Should my settings be changed on the installation screen?

I would remove the motor and start from the top, in the end it may save more time :)

Ok I see your post and I will try to move the motor. Can I leave the LNB in the same position? If yes does the dish elevation stay the same as the motor elevation?

The elevation on the dish will change when removed from the motor, and the LNBF may need skewed when not on a motor.

I took it off the motor and found Echostar 110 thinking I was going to hit G11 again. The signal strength and quality were both in the high 80s. When I began to move it in the eastern direction to get it close to 79 degrees the highest signal I was getting was 60%. Do I need to have the settings for AMC 5 79W set a certin way for it to work on my VS 2000 Plat???

Yes you NEED to have the AMC-5 selected and you MUST use a LIVE TP. from AMC-5. Then watch for signal quality...... try this one.

DFreq. 11742

S/R 11110

Pol. V

DFreq. 11742 I changed that

S/R 11110 I do not see this as an option

Pol. V I do not see this as an option

When I go to AMC-5 I get no signal now but when I go to AMC 6 I get a signal of 50-60. Whats up with that?

Look in your manual under "Add Transponder"

If you think you are close try a blind scan, from there we can work out what way you need to go.

OK I did find everything and when I looked at the TP at DFreq. 11742 the signal was jumping from 50-61 with zero quality. How exact do you need to be on it?

You have to be within a few millimeters both in Elevation and Azimuth to pick up digital signals.

Try Blind scan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts