Confused

Texan61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
East Texas forest
I have set up my pole perfectly plumb. Latitude (33.22) and longitude (94.53) are coordinates for my location. I set hh90 motor at present latitude and subtracted 4.8 for dish elevation setting. Everything was aligned as per instructions and declination for my location is 1.4. When I put coordinates in for Galaxy 19, motor repositions a few degrees west. I have no signal and USALS says out of range! When I lookup information on Lyngsat for 97W (Galaxy 19) it shows elevation should be 51.3. I suspect the lnb I ordered is not linear so I’ve ordered one that is. Also I cannot enter a TP setting. Although signal strength shows 60 it doesn’t change when I placed a cardboard box over lnb. Also as per motor instructions the lnb is set at 0 skew. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I have set up my pole perfectly plumb. Latitude (33.22) and longitude (94.53) are coordinates for my location. I set hh90 motor at present latitude and subtracted 4.8 for dish elevation setting. Everything was aligned as per instructions and declination for my location is 1.4. When I put coordinates in for Galaxy 19, motor repositions a few degrees west. I have no signal and USALS says out of range! When I lookup information on Lyngsat for 97W (Galaxy 19) it shows elevation should be 51.3. I suspect the lnb I ordered is not linear so I’ve ordered one that is. Also I cannot enter a TP setting. Although signal strength shows 60 it doesn’t change when I placed a cardboard box over lnb. Also as per motor instructions the lnb is set at 0 skew. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Satellite Guys! What receiver are you using in your setup? Out of range could me you have the longitude set for east instead of west. The 60 signal strength simply means you have a good lnbf connected to your receiver. Quality reading is what you are looking for.

Thank you!
I have set location to west. Here are pictures of receiver and lnb. I’m using a geosat pro 90 dish and a stab hh90 motor

Attachments

• 94B8C9AC-FBD4-40DB-80D2-31D7383A793A.jpeg
    94B8C9AC-FBD4-40DB-80D2-31D7383A793A.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 80
  • B16A2BD5-781E-41CD-B487-0B9103CDCB3F.jpeg
    B16A2BD5-781E-41CD-B487-0B9103CDCB3F.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 78
Did you ALSO add your local coordinates into the receiver setup menu first? Did you install the dish on the pole without a motor FIRST, and test to see if it all worked that way? If not, you should...

I’ve ordered an lnbf SL2PLL Geosat and it’s on the way. I disconnected rg6 cables from working Dish setup and believe conductors are good.

Thank you!
I have set location to west. Here are pictures of receiver and lnb. I’m using a geosat pro 90 dish and a stab hh90 motor

These are a very good dish and motor so they are not likely the issue as long as your settings (motor elevation, dish elevation, etc) are correct and the dish is not damaged/bent in any way..

I’ve ordered an lnbf SL2PLL Geosat and it’s on the way. I disconnected rg6 cables from working Dish setup and believe conductors are good.

Is your original lnbf set to universal with the correct local oscillator frequencies in your receiver? You should be able to check continuity of the cables with a multimeter.

I did not test equipment without the motor first.

I know it's a hastle to remove the motor but primestar31 gave a good suggestion to try your equipment without it first. Once you know you can get a signal you should be confident adding the motor will work once everything is set up correctly.

Reactions: primestar31
I have set up my pole perfectly plumb. Latitude (33.22) and longitude (94.53) are coordinates for my location. I set hh90 motor at present latitude and subtracted 4.8 for dish elevation setting. Everything was aligned as per instructions and declination for my location is 1.4.

Where did you get your numbers from?

Motor axis angle should be on latitude 33.2 (or better: 33.8); or if it has an elevation scale: 56.8 (or better: 56.2).

Dish declination offset angle should be 5.4 (or better: 4.8)
This would mean that the elevation scale of the dish should be: bend angle of the motor tube minus 5.4 (or better 4.8).
I don't know the bend angle of your motor tube, though?

Elevation 51.3 (which you mention) would be 'total elevation angle of the satellite': 51.4 at due south for you.
51.4 = 56.2 - 4.8; so the math is right.
When your dish has an elevation scale, you don't really need that value of 51.4. It is only needed when you want to set your dish elevation at the dish face, with taking the offset angle of your dish into account. The elevation of the dish face towards due south, should then be 51.4 minus the offset angle of the dish.

Be sure before aligning the motor and dish, to give the motor command Goto-Zero or Goto-Reference, and check that the motor tube indeed arrives at exactly zero degrees.

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: MattFL
I got my coordinates from gps-coordinates.org from where dish is located.
Not sure how to determine if my original lnbf is set to universal with the correct local oscillator frequencies in the receiver. Please elaborate.
Motor was on zero when unboxed. How do I give motor a command to go to zero in order to be exact and not just relying on accuracy of dial on motor face?
Setting up dish without motor is a good idea. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, before I got to this point. Lol
After storm passes I will regroup and start over with new lnb and no motor and go from there. Thanks to everyone that has offered assistance!

Reactions: primestar31
I got my coordinates from gps-coordinates.org from where dish is located.

Not familiar with that website. Might want to verify with Google Maps and recheck dish settings on dishpointer.com

Not sure how to determine if my original lnbf is set to universal with the correct local oscillator frequencies in the receiver. Please elaborate.

Make sure that under the lnbf settings in your receiver universal is selected as the type. This should give you options to input a low and high local oscillator frequency. Enter 9750 and 10600 there for low and high.

Motor was on zero when unboxed. How do I give motor a command to go to zero in order to be exact and not just relying on accuracy of dial on motor face?

Some motors have buttons to do this. My Stab HH100 does not and the command must be issued via a capable receiver or special tool that is/was available from Stab Italia. Check through your menu setting for something like GOTO 0, etc. Mine is really old though and yours may be different as designs do change and improve over time.

Setting up dish without motor is a good idea. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, before I got to this point. Lol
After storm passes I will regroup and start over with new lnb and no motor and go from there. Thanks to everyone that has offered assistance!

:):thumbup

zero function is achieved through a higher quality receiver. No worries as I can use this cheap one for 2nd building from dual lnb. Any suggestions on best receiver choice for my latest hobby?

Hopefully your receiver has a GotoZero command. If it goes to Zero, it is OK. The Zero-position is stored in the motor, but with most motors by resetting the motor you could set the Zero-memory to another rotational position. So there is no more accuracy, than what your eye can see...
Sometimes, by accident, the motor Zero is no longer at zero. This is the first thing I check, with motor positioning problems.

I was not interested how you got your LAT and LON coordinates (you can get them anywhere), but interested in the numbers that you mention for your motor elevation and dish declination. For me they are un-understandable, given your coordinates....

Greetz,
A33

P.S. Never heard of the Hellobox 6 receiver so completely unsure what it's capabilities are.

zero function is achieved through a higher quality receiver. No worries as I can use this cheap one for 2nd building from dual lnb. Any suggestions on best receiver choice for my latest hobby?

Some quality receivers can be purchased at Hypermegasat. Casey is good to deal with. Not sure if the current Amiko line has a goto zero function so others will have to comment on that. I know the Edision does.

I set motor elevation the same as my latitude. Declination of dish is from dish pointer website. Dish angle set at latitude minus declination angle. Google Earth coordinates are slightly different and I will change to reflect difference. What am I missing? Hopefully it’s an oversight on my part. Being a pitbull on a pot roast I won’t soon give up! Lol

Reactions: FTA4PA
I set motor elevation the same as my latitude. Declination of dish is from dish pointer website. Dish angle set at latitude minus declination angle. Google Earth coordinates are slightly different and I will change to reflect difference. What am I missing? Hopefully it’s an oversight on my part. Being a pitbull on a pot roast I won’t soon give up! Lol

Look over everything again and you may find what you are missing. If not, sleep on it tonight. Fresh eyes often see what tired ones miss. If still having a problem acquiring signal then try without the motor first. Either way, hang in there and you will get it! ;)

Dish angle set at latitude minus declination angle.

This is what's wrong, I guess.
See my post above.
(Though indeed latitude plus declination would again be equal to 90 - 51.4.)

(BTW. On dishpointer.com I see no 4.8 value, or 1.4 value, which you gave in post #1? No idea where you got them from, and what they would be for...)

Greetz,
A33

Edit:
Tube bend angle for the HH90 would be 45 degrees, according to dishpointer. Would that be about right?
So all the needed angles are known, now, when the dish mount indeed has an elevation scale to use.

Last edited:
Reentered location on dishpointer and it shows -4.9 degrees for elevation. 1.4 is where true south is for this location. I think 45 degrees for shaft is correct.

I just checked:

-4.9 is the elevation for satellite position 180E (top of the list of satellites) :):(:)

1.4 is the magnetic deviation for your location :):(:)

Both are not the most relevant data for a motor setup.
I guess it's time to consult some motor setup manuals, before it gets even more confusing?