slim dish elevation newbie question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edugamer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
pa
I have two slim directv dishes. I would like to know how I am suppose to set the elevation as well as the azimuth on these. With the skew, at least they give you a pointer of some kind, a nipple in the metal which you just need to lign up with your skew. I don't see such marker device of any kind for the elevation or azimuth. Am I suppose to just use the nut as a pointer?

so there is the stamped numbers and lines off to the side of the curved slot, the nut in the slot to secure it once it is set and that is it.
Below that is the long horizontal bolt to ajust it.
This issue is the same with the azimuth.
no marker, no nipple, detent or anything. Maybe it had it at some point but broke off? Weired though if it is the case because every slimline I gotten within the last few weeks I noticed the same.
I would also like to know if messing with the tilt will throw off anything.

The elevation pointer is part of the mount.It is the straight edge to the right of the nut.
au9-slimline-directv-dish-bracket-3-jpg.100802

Your azimuth is the East/West rotation of your whole dish on the pole. A good place to go is www.dishpointer.com. Enter your exact address and choose the satellite from the list you are after. Zoom in to your house on the map. You can move the marker to the spot your dish is at. It will tell you with the line where the dish should be aimed. If you don't have a compass or a smart phone you can use that a a reference and go by the landmarks to get you in the general direction.

Reactions: c-spand
The elevation pointer is part of the mount.It is the straight edge to the right of the nut.
ok cool!
Lol I wasn't quite sure what was going on.
They didn't make it as obvious. I had a feeling it had to be in or somewhere near the bolt in it's slot.
Its makes sence why it is designed the way that it is.
The nut was also covering it on mine so it was made less obvious. I had covered it with a washer to keep the paint from chipping more.
[/thanks!
Was soo confused lol.
Looks like the makers of the dish just didn't make it so obvious. It was also covered by a washer on mine which I had added to keep the paint from chipping more. Putting the washer on it just hid it more. I had a feeling it had to be in the slot somewhere! Thanks for making that clear. I would of probably been so frustrated had I just assoomed the nut was the marker!
thank you!

Reactions: FTA4PA
ok cool!
Lol I wasn't quite sure what was going on.
They didn't make it as obvious. I had a feeling it had to be in or somewhere near the bolt in it's slot.
Its makes sence why it is designed the way that it is.
The nut was also covering it on mine so it was made less obvious. I had covered it with a washer to keep the paint from chipping more.
oops sorry for the duplicate reply!
Still getting the hang of the UI here. It looks like satguys's ui saved my lost post from earlier attempt when my computer crashed.
again thanks a lot.

Well, notice that when you put the bolt at the left extreme side, that there would be no scale indications at the location of the bolt.
The scale ("20") would start a bit more to the right, so you'd have to look for some indicator line at the start of that scale.
I've learnt to look for signs like that; as it is indeed not always obvious where to look...

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: KE4EST
so there is the stamped numbers and lines off to the side of the curved slot, the nut in the slot to secure it once it is set and that is it.
Below that is the long horizontal bolt to ajust it.
This issue is the same with the azimuth.
no marker, no nipple, detent or anything. Maybe it had it at some point but broke off? Weired though if it is the case because every slimline I gotten within the last few weeks I noticed the same.
I would also like to know if messing with the tilt will throw off anything.
oops not the tilt!
On the elevator adjustment bolt, there is a thumb nut which is in a fixed position. at the other end of the adjustment shaft there is a nut in a slider.
I think I see what it is now.
I looks like it just shifts the scail around.

oops not the tilt!
On the elevator adjustment bolt, there is a thumb nut which is in a fixed position. at the other end of the adjustment shaft there is a nut in a slider.
I think I see what it is now.
I looks like it just shifts the scail around.
like there is a thumb nut in a fixed position which is holding one end of the elevation adjustment to the bracket and at the other end of the shaft is a nut which moves around when loosened

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts