Connecticut Voomers thread

JasonBourne said:
I'm thinking of getting Voom. Should I buy the OTA on my own and have Voom install it?? If so, what OTA would you recommend??

I let Voom put up stealth antenna to see if I could get anything as there were many different views as to what was strong enough to get. After getting WTNH and WCTX with stealth I installed my own antenna on high pole with rotor and amp. Get all CT stations now. WTXX seems the weakest and most susceptible to weather. WFSB would be next for me. All the other channels are fine, no dropouts no matter what the weather. I think rotor is a must as you need to turn antenna for WCTX and Bridgeport PBS stations. WTNH is pretty strong and comes in even with antenna turned to Hartford. Wher are you located. Also you need a combo VHF/UHF antenna. Also anyone have trouble with the audio on WFSB CBS feeds? Only network shows, Local shows seem fine.

I live in Enfield.

FWIW - I don't watch WTXX, WCTX or the Bridgeport PBS station. All I need is CBS, ABC, Fox, NBC, and WEDH. I would love to see the Huskies in HD.

Soon To Be Boomer - Stealth Question

Hello all:

I posted my first message in the general forum. As I said it in there, it's nice to be here. Great site.

In any event, here's a specific question to you folks. I am in Middletown (near the Middlefield line), at the top of a hill with a fairly unblocked view in the direction of Hartford. Any thoughts as to whether or not I should be able to pull in any reasonable number of digital signals WITH the Stealth antenna? Personally, I primarily care about CBS, ABC and NBC. Fox would be nice too...

Thanks!
Martin-

jmartinacevedo said:
Hello all:

I posted my first message in the general forum. As I said it in there, it's nice to be here. Great site.

In any event, here's a specific question to you folks. I am in Middletown (near the Middlefield line), at the top of a hill with a fairly unblocked view in the direction of Hartford. Any thoughts as to whether or not I should be able to pull in any reasonable number of digital signals WITH the Stealth antenna? Personally, I primarily care about CBS, ABC and NBC. Fox would be nice too...

Thanks!
Martin-
On top of hill you should be ok. WTNH is strong signal. WFSB will be the hardest, probobly won't get it with stealth antenna until they boost power this summer. WVIT, WCTX and WTIC are decent signals. WTXX is transmitting from a low spot on the tower so they might be harder. I put up a Channel Master antenna and preamp and get all CT channels. I am 23 miles from towers. With stealth I got WTNH, WVIT and WCTX. You will probobly need a rotor. Height is important too. Hope this helps. It is a lot of trial and error but worth the work.

Comcast web site and my TIVO "NOTICES" both say ch 183 will be wtic-dt. Actually tivo says wtic-dt and Comcast web site says wnyw(I think). I csr at Comcast told me soon and another told me "NO PLANS". I say May !// If its not thetre today-- June 1!!!

Well, I'm able to tune NBC out of Springfield cleanly. It's something of a pain until the fix to manually tune stations.

-MP

madpoet said:
Well, I'm able to tune NBC out of Springfield cleanly. It's something of a pain until the fix to manually tune stations.

-MP
Did you put up your new antenna? Surprised you can't get WVIT. Can you get WTIC or WTXX. They are on the tower right next to WVIT and at a lower height.

I can get WTIC ok... not great, but better than WVIT. It's clearly multipathing issues with them. My power swings wildly between 1 and 55+. Still have the Wineguard 7084P, but I did add a CM7777 amp.

madpoet said:
I can get WTIC ok... not great, but better than WVIT. It's clearly multipathing issues with them. My power swings wildly between 1 and 55+. Still have the Wineguard 7084P, but I did add a CM7777 amp.

Maybe you need more height. I wonder if buildings in downtown Hartford are in your way. I have a few hills between me and towers but no buildings. Maybe west side of state is better than east side.

I don't think it's Hartford, I think it's the hills. I may try for a little more height but I'm concerned then where my rotor should go. I'd have to do a lot of rewiring to put it up another 5 feet.

-MP

voom voom voom!! (Connecticut)

Hi everyone I just ordered voom and my install is scheduled for june 5th its going to be done by Three O'clock Communication in connecticut just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with them yet????? :D

Welcome aboard.

You can check over in the other V* forum specific to where folks live. last glance I didn't see one for Connecticut....but you could start one.

Yes I have

It's a small company from Norwalk. They Kinda act lazy, almost as if they're doing you a huge favor by installing the equipment. Gotta make sure the call them several times for them to call you back and go over things. Otherwise they won't bother.
Where in connecticut are you?
I'm in Middletown.

ohh ok thanks for the info i'm in bridgeport. when they did your install did they do a good job, like running the cables and putting up the antenna for locals?

3'o clock-

1-He persuaded me not to bother installing the stealth antenna because he assured me I would get no locals whatsoever. Instead, he suggested I call Voom to upgrade me to a better antenna. It's been about 2 weeks since the install and Voom still is in the process of "approving" the upgrade. Thank god I have cable for the HD locals...

2-Other than that, I'll give the installer some props for figuring out that installing a pole on the back yard would definitely get me a signal, as opposed to installing the dish on the roof. However, even though he was the one who suggested the pole idea, I later caught him on the phone bitching telling the person on the other end that "the customer had requested him to install a pole and he was not anticipating the extra work"
Go figure.

In any event, it cost me $140, even though the cost of the cement plus pole probably was $30...He was going to charge me $2 per foot to bury the cable inground. I passed and did it myself later.

3-Other than installing the pole and the dish, there was not much else he did other than connect the cable to my utility panel (we just finished building the house so I had it networked and prewired for cable and satellite). I did the rest, meaning I installed the box and all the connections. He did make the Voom call to connect my service.

4-As I said, no OTA antenna was connected-therefore, we did not get into the diplexer issue, although he basically said that's the way the do it (i.e., using a diplexer).

5- If you have a tall roof make sure you order the 40footer ladder. It's an extra $40. You need to call them in advance. I had to call and leave three messages before they got back to me. Not a lot of personality or customer service there.

6-Don't get me wrong;the installer was not a bad guy. They're just the type of company you don't want to deal with more than it's strictly necessary.

6-Voom is working flawlessly. All I need at this point is settle the issue of the OTA antenna.

Good luck and start leaving messages.

Connecticut threads merged.

Hello all!

First time post for me. Was considering getting VOOM soon and taking advantage of their promo. The problem is I just bought a house in Haddam(closing end of June) and dont think I can get locals there with an antenna. There is a very large hill behind the house on the north side.

I live in Middletown now and am using Comcast and receiving their usual HD channels. I am getting kind of tired of the few channels and want more HD, which is why I am considering VOOM. If I cant get the locals though, which I really want, does this mean I should not get VOOM?

Anyways, my sales guy @ Tweeter referred me to a sit called antennaweb.org where i entered my address there. It said I need a "violet" antenna. What does this mean?

Where would I find this type of antenna? What else would I need? What if it doesn't work and I cant get locals with it?

As you can see I am full of ?'s and am pretty clueless. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

If you look at the chart on antennawab, it tells you what distance the color code means. Also, many antennas now include the color code as part of their rating.

On my end, now that the trees have leaves my OTA sucks. Hard. I am really very disapointed.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)