Considering Ku system...Many wild feeds on Ku?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lidstrom

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I am considering getting one of the complete systems from Sadoun with a motor. However, aside from checking out the general FTA programming, I am most interested in finding wild feeds. I have done some searching here, and elsewhere, and it seems to me that the feeds that get the most hype/talk are C-band ones. A BUD is not an option for us at our current location, since I would have to put it in the front lawn and there is no telling what my wife (or my neighbors, to some degree) might do.

Do those of you with Ku-only find enough extra stuff out there to keep you interested? If you cannot post the sort of things you have found, could you PM me?

I am trying to decide if it is worth getting into sometime in the relatively near future or not. I am interested in buying/playing with an FTA system because of the lack of a subscription and the hobby aspect. I'm oncerned that I might not find it as compelling, once I have it, as I imagine it to be right now and might be better off putting that money towards a Starchoice system and getting a bunch of Canadian channels (the obvious downside being monthly subscription fees).

well it depends on your interests.

Wild Feeds on C-Band can be sports feeds, news feeds or syndicated shows that they beam up during the morning for affiliates to grab and reshow during the day...I dont know if that is what you are thinking of "wild feeds" (syndicated stuff)

On KU there are lots of raw news & sports feeds. Stuff that shows up for 5 minutes or all day (depending on the circumstances). With news feeds when something big hits, they can be up all day. Sometimes its 5-10 minutes

Sports feeds pop up for the game and that's usually it. So they can be up 1/2 hour before game time to 5 minutes after. Lots of college/high school games :)

By wild feeds, I did mean anything that is basically in the clear that is not exactly intended/advertised as being FTA (sports, news, shows, etc). I would primarily be interested in sports "backhauls." The "fun" part of this, to me, would be finding cool stuff like that, as opposed to just tuning in the already well-documented FTA channels (although I am sure I would be doing that as well).

Sounds like there probably is enough action out there for the price of entry. That's what I was looking for.

You wouldn't be disappointed with ku-only. I find almost all of my fta use is from ku band satellites. There's tons of stuff to watch, you won't run out of
tv to watch, haha. The main thing I like having a c-band dish for is the NASA
channels, they are c-band digital. But during a mission, you can find most of
the interesting NASA video also being rebroadcast on sev other(KU)satellites.
Get yourself a 1m dish setup, and start enjoying the free tv.

Right now I am KU only but am considering a BUD, still working on the wife there. Anyway there is enough there on the KU side to make it worth while. If your worried about the cost see if you can find an old Primestar dish and use that as a stationary dish. You can then move it around and see whats out there and then determine if you want to go farther. Thats what I did I found an old Primestar dish and liked what I saw so I just mounted it on a motor.

By wild feeds, I did mean anything that is basically in the clear that is not exactly intended/advertised as being FTA (sports, news, shows, etc). I would primarily be interested in sports "backhauls." The "fun" part of this, to me, would be finding cool stuff like that, as opposed to just tuning in the already well-documented FTA channels (although I am sure I would be doing that as well).
you'll love FTA then :)

As already noted, even a KU setup will work great. I have a 6' C-Band dish but its pretty much fixed at one satellite so 99% of the feeds I find are KU Band :)

I'm ready for college football season. You can see many games...everything from the "big" game with 2 well known schools to a Division III game between the podunk U team versus the Arizona burnt cactii :D

College hockey is my big thing though. Lots of teams on KU FTA :)

I did mean anything that is basically in the clear that is not exactly intended/advertised as being FTA

Actually that would probably cover pretty much everything that's available as FTA, with just a few exceptions. As most all of the FTA signals over north america are not intended nor advertised as FTA. They're mostly up there for secondary providers like cable companies, Tv stations, and little dish companies to receive and rebroadcast. That's why many people in the hobby are somewhat sensitive about specific information about what's exactly up there and where being posted openly on the internet.

Anyway, there are no guarantees with FTA. What's up there is subject to change at any time without any notice. Signals come and signals go. Sometimes they go encrypted, sometimes they switch to different formats that aren't able to be received on consumer gears, and sometimes they may even move to alternative distribution methods that don't even involve satellites like fiber. So, the bottom line is you should think of this as a hobby and a hobby only. If that's not enough for you then your probably better off not investing in the hobby. If it is enough then welcome to our hobby.

It's rapidly (although not rapidly enough) approaching College Football and College Hockey seasons, My favorite time of the year for Wild Feeds/Backhauls. On a typical Saturday, I may start at 11a.m. eastern and watch feeds till 3a.m. (Sunday), if Hawaii is at home for Football, or till 2a.m. for Hockey if Alaska (Anchorage) is at home?

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)