Control over HDMI?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Ok, it's been a long road (some of you might remember some past threads) but I finally decided to get a new DirecTV account and I have an HD DVR and a standard HD receiver set to be installed on Monday. Last night I picked up a Panasonic 32" LCD HDTV and a Panasonic home theatre in a box from Circuit City on sale. These two have Panasonic's Viera Link which basically sends remote control commands from the TV down the HDMI cable to attached devices. Panasonic is touting it as their technology, but that it's based on the HDMI remote control standard, so non-Panasonic devices can work, as long as they implement HDMI remote control.

So.. my question is, does any of the current HD equipment from DirecTV support remote control codes sent by HDMI? I've already ordered it, so it's not a big deal, but it would be great if it worked.

I have the Panasonic 58 inch plasma and also the Panasonic home theatre with the blu ray player in the receiver. I have Directv and the dvr with the AM21 addition for the OTA channels. the Directv remote will turn on the tv and the home theatre sound system when it is pressed. It will also adjust the sound on the home theatre as well. For some reason that I have not figured out yet, the Directv remote doesn't turn off the sound system when that button is pressed. the button on the sound system remote is what I have had to use to turn it off, and when that turns off the wireless back speaker link also turns off. All in all, I think you will be very pleased with your setup, its wonderful, and really is great for watching movies.

I have the Panasonic 58 inch plasma and also the Panasonic home theatre with the blu ray player in the receiver. I have Directv and the dvr with the AM21 addition for the OTA channels. the Directv remote will turn on the tv and the home theatre sound system when it is pressed. It will also adjust the sound on the home theatre as well. For some reason that I have not figured out yet, the Directv remote doesn't turn off the sound system when that button is pressed. the button on the sound system remote is what I have had to use to turn it off, and when that turns off the wireless back speaker link also turns off. All in all, I think you will be very pleased with your setup, its wonderful, and really is great for watching movies.

I think what you have is just the DirecTV universal remote programmed to control the AV receiver and the TV, which is what I was planning on having to do anyway. The Viera link is different, and I'm thinking that the DirecTV equipment isn't going to be compatible, but would love for it to be :)

I admit I haven't really messed with the Vierra Link since I don't have any Panny components hooked up to our Panny plasma, but I don't believe the DirecTV receivers will work with that feature. But I just use Harmony universal remotes on our TVs. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)