Coolsat 8000 HD with SG9120

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjcl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Earth
I'll be receiving a Coolsat 8000 HD in the mail soon, to replace a SV-4000, mainly because of motor issues. I think I need help setting up this box with this motor, so I don't repeat possible mistakes made with the SV-4000 which "traumatized" my motorized dish experience... lol. Thanks!

You shouldn't have any trouble with the CS8000 in USALS mode. I'm running two motorized dishes using them, and I'm quite happy with the motor performance. Congrats on finding an 8000, they're getting rarer and rarer. I may get another , if I find one at the right price. I think they are under-appreciated !
:)

So, Brent, all I have to do is set the Lat/Long in the box for my location, as the dish is already aligned to True South at the motor 0 degrees? I may have more questions for you as soonas I get it. Thanks!

Yeap I agree with Brentb636, takes a few to get used to the motor movement.
For me, the CS8000 works great with my HH120 motor with USALS. Stops right on target.

OK, here we go. Box is here, still haven't figured out to even move the motor... HELP!!! Lat and Long are set to mine, now what? When does the dish move?

To set up a satellite initially, you have to select the sat in the Dish menu, and arrow down to Switch type, set THAT to USALS. Then arrow down once to USALS and right arrow. Select "GO To Position" and the dish should move to the selected spot. Then exit and press the RED button on the remote to scan the transponders in the list.
Once you have a channel scanned in, you can hit the "FAV" button on the remote, and select which sat you wish to go to.
Hope this helps you get going ! :)

No, didn't work. Dish won't leave Reference point. Any more ideas?

1. Can you move the motor with a pushbutton on the motor ?
2. Put motor back on zero position and perform motor reset.
3. Then try restoring factory defaults on cs8000, with motor on zero position .

:?

Brent, the only command that works is the "Move East-West" one. Also, under "Installation", then "Dish", what is the difference between "Dish" and "Satellite", the top two items?

We're using different firmware versions, obviously. I don't have DISH and SATELLITE as my top two items under installation.
What firmware are you using ? I'm using "hackware" 12060F".
I believe the latest factory firmware is 2025A .
Probably should update the firmware. The fact that you DO get EAST-WEST movement is a good sign.
:)

Attachments

• CS8000-2025A.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 168
That is an older "hacker" version. I'd upgrade to the latest factory and see how it goes. You may have to use load the "clear_HD" firmware before you load the factory file. The Coolsat won't allow you to load older firmware versions without first cleaning out the newer firmware. The only thing that I don't like about the factory 2025 version is the annoying tuning beep that can't be turned off.

Attachments

• clear_sw_hd_.zip
    147 bytes · Views: 147
OK, one last question before I do that: how do you do the firmware updating without USB connection? I do have a null-cable and a laptop... where are the files placed on the laptop for the transfer? Thanks!

The transfer program is Csupgrade.exe . Put the firmware in the same folder as Csupgrade and it'll be simpler. Note that the firmware file is a "SGN" extension, and the Csupgrade defaults to "BIN" extension.

Attachments

• CSUpgrade_v3.01.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 140
OK, software is in place, but I still can not make the motor move automatically - "Go to Reference" or "Go to Position" don't work... what am I missing?

Figure it out, USALS working seamlessly - I just don't understand why Hispasat is "out of range"...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts