Copper Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is it true that all new DirecTV installs require solid copper cable now?

If so, there's gonna be alot of pissed off installers that have non solid copper on thier trucks now.

While I'm sure D* would like the Solid, I doubt that they will make it a definate or nothing.
What would they do when they get to a subs for install and try to use existing cable, alot of the homes still have RG59 in them, alot have RG-6, but most don't have Solid Copper.

I've been installing copper clad RG-6 for years and never had a problem.

it was required when i was in house tech... BS if you ask me. Dish stil uses Copper clad steel cables and still work. Ive used clad steel cables and never got a repeat on them.. however ive gotten repeats on copper solid cables....

Directv and their asshats in higher offices b*tching like this and that to create new requirements for techs.. this is how they get paid.. ideas to degrade us and make us work three times harder for something that doesnt need fixing or updating.

I've been installing copper clad RG-6 for years and never had a problem.

This will do just fine & wont break the bank in the process. I've got this all over the place including two long cable runs where half the cable is buried (wish I buried it inside some PVC but was a noob at the time) & have had zero problems. Where you run into problems (even at the LNB connections/multi-switch/power inserter) is when you attempt outside splices. My advise, run that cable (RG-6) as an unspliced run until you get to your attic or crawl & then make your splices if you need to. Use compression fittings rated for outside use & if using SWiM use all SWiM rated adaptors.

Enjoy. :D

, alot of the homes still have RG59 in them, alot have RG-6, but most don't have Solid Copper.

Ever since DIRECTV has been in business since the 1990's they've always said you must use RG6, not RG59. Did you install DIRECTV dishes at some homes using existing RG59 ?

Ever since DIRECTV has been in business since the 1990's they've always said you must use RG6, not RG59. Did you install DIRECTV dishes at some homes using existing RG59 ?

I hope not.. RG-59 wont even work with Dish to reciever anyways. thats a repeat service call waiting to happen... and it will happen in 4-5 days after install.

we're even told RG-59 from TV to source of satellite is NOT allowed.. and RG-59 after freciever works just as fine.. but they want EVERYTHING directv from dish to the back of the tv... no exception!

In some other thread some one was saying that if you don't use solid copper center conductor for an SWM install the coax will melt inside the walls, or the wall plates will melt or something ridiculious like that.
:D

In some other thread some one was saying that if you don't use solid copper center conductor for an SWM install the coax will melt inside the walls, or the wall plates will melt or something ridiculious like that.
:D

LOL.. right. ive done SWM on RG-6 clad steel in walls and told the customer i cant guarantee it wont work months down the road, but i never got a call back or at least that i know of.

Ive had more SWM repeats ON copper solid cables vs Copper Clad Steel. the Solid Copper seems to screw the HDDVR system. its BS.

Actually, an SWM installation is probably less dependent on solid copper. The problem is with voltage drop when feeding from a AT-9 or AU-9 dish. A 5 LNB dish draws enough current that the voltage drop between the receiver (which powers the LNBs) could drop the 18 volt switching signal down to where it might not be high enough for the internal multiswitch on the dish works correctly. With a SWM LNB, the PI supplies enough voltage that there is a greater margin. Since copper has less resistance than copper-clad steel, the drop would be less (Ohm's law, E=IR). The resistance of the cable is dependent on length, which is another factor and even RG59 might work in some instances, but Directv isn't going to take any chances with what they specify.

No, I didn't say that, I have always installed RG6, , the debate here is over solid copper or not.

CCS or SCC

I installed for Directv for a year and we had to use solid copper core or fail QC. I pre-installed my own home with CCS and had no problems with Directv service. I have updated to SWM and things work fine with the CCS.

I had to move on to a new job after our shop was let go by Directv recently and now install for Dish Network. Now, it turns out, I can't use the Perfect Vision wire that was used by Dtv to do installs for E* or we get a QC fail. Odd how rules don't make a bit of sense on either side of the fence. It isn't the solid copper cable I can't use, it is the Perfect Vision brand I can't use!

I think CCS works fine but you must keep the length shorter than with solid copper. I have heard 70 feet or less works ok. Resistance works against you with CCS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)