Cover over LNB eye?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Now that I busted the cover off the LNB eye (see here for the reasoning what can I use to cover that....or should I even bother?

I know C-Band LNB's dont have a cover and Primestar LNB's dont have a cover...so should I even worry? What would you recommend for a cover to keep rain/snow out

Just a comment - my primestar lnb's have a thin plastic inside (one was actually torn, so I pulled it all out).. and all of my c-band lnbs have a cover (with holes) for them. Of course, the c-band lnbs are for prime focus dishes, so they are always pointing down and allow water to run out and not in.

For an offset lnbf, I'd probably cover it at least with some thick saran wrap material to prevent water from getting in.. but then again, that might seal it too well and trap moisture in .. hmm

ingenuity

How about a big rubber band holding on a nice thick piece of a plastic coke bottle, or just a piece of a garbage bag. OF course the bag won't last too long in the sun.

I would try to keep the water out of an LNBF if your using an offset on KU. I had a little crack in my Primestar cover at the bottom that allowed water in after a heavy rain. The next day my signal was only 53 quality. I took off the cap and found a little watter in the horn. I dried it out and BAM 99 quality again. So I put the cap back on and used a bit of clear RTV silicone on the crack. After the next rainstorm 99 quality so its well sealed.

Try to get some thin plastic that won't warp in the sun and silicone it on there. You should be good to go. :)

Just to brain-storm it, how 'bout a disc made from a credit card, secured with a little of that RTV mentioned above?
And before you do the deed, leave it in your gas oven over night.
The pilot light should warm the whole thing, and dry it out.

...of course, I really did like this idea, too:
How about a big rubber band holding on a nice thick piece of a plastic coke bottle
I'm about to throw out a large empty Tide jug.
What about a big red dot of that? :)

....no, on second thought, it's the big green Tide bottle cap I prefer.
Wouldn't that make quite the statement?
Where's my camera?

watch out, he's having a Tide-moment !

Last edited:
I have a neighbor who has this DirecTV dish. It's still working, and the lnb has been open to the weather for over a year.

Attachments

• Carl.jpg
    Carl.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 462
C-band LNB's do have a seal between them and the feedhorn. (at least some do) I think you should use some silicon an glue a piece of plastic over the front. Now to find a piece of plastic that will not deteriorate in the sunlight, hot/cold weather and not attenuate the signal..... I think you could start by trying a lid from a margarine container, or even an old tupperware lid. (they do stand up in the hot/cold. Do not know how they like the sunlight, or if they are transparent to the Ku signals.

just too good to let slide

Okay, I just had to add pictures to insults...
Or is it that a picture is worth a thousand words...?
Whatever, here is the red Tide bottle and green cap, along with another likely candidate.
If this doesn't give you ideas... or at least some nightmares... well, at least I tried. :D

Attachments

• 10-01-07_1735trim.jpg
    10-01-07_1735trim.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 605
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 608
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 620
Cover over LNB eye ?

Yes, you definately need to keep the dust, rain, snow and the bugs out !
I have an LNB where the plastic cap turned into dust from sun damage--
replaced it with a white SPRAY PAINT CAP, it was a nice tight fit, just needed to cut around the side and silicon it to the metal housing!------looks like as the original !

Last edited:
While using plastic caps to keep out rain and snow is a good thing. You might want to coat the plastic with some U/V coating so that your New cap last longer.
I am not sure if the new plastic paints will affect sat signal but i don't for see any real problems.

I hope you found this useful..

Hey Guys:

No matter what you use for a cover, DO NOT seal it up airtight. Condensation will form after temperature changes. The cavity needs to "breath", so to speak.

Harold

Hey Guys:

No matter what you use for a cover, DO NOT seal it up airtight. Condensation will form after temperature changes. The cavity needs to "breath", so to speak.

Harold

Try telling that to the OEM's. Theirs are sealed with a compression "O" ring.

....Try telling that to the OEM's. Theirs are sealed with a compression "O" ring.

If you see one sealed from the factory, it's purged with nitrogen and it won't condensate. Break the factory seal and air will condense into moisture. Like to never found the cause of my varing signal levels until I realized it was condensation.

Otherwise, like Channelmaster, there are vent holes somewhere. The Channelmaster lense can be rotated so that a small visor is upwards and the vents are shielded from direct rainfall.

Harold

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts