current dishnetwork and directv offers

Just signed up for the Comcast Gold package deal. What is interesting is I already had Comcast for internet + basic cable.

They allowed me to upgrade for the Gold package w/Sho/HBO for $29.99 but would not give me the internet. I called a second time to cancell the internet and got the $29.99 deal there as well.

joverstr2 said:
Now i'm really confused.

I have two HDTV monitors. Living room / Bedroom
I want HD programming on both
I want to record in sd only on the living room tv
Well, there is no HD receiver from Dish that does HD in two rooms simultaneously. The 811 component and DVI outputs are supposed to both be active at the same time, but getting cables long enough to reach another room would be problematic.

I think you'd be better off with a 942 HD DVR and a 811 HD rxvr, but that's just me.

And of course, neither system is upgradeable to MPEG-4, and E* hasn't announced any upgrade assistance program yet. Is MPEG-4 going to show up this year? E* says yes.

im getting 2 811's hd recs and 1 322 with dual tuner installed tuesday from dishnetwork, with no commitment, or equipment to buy, this will take care of my 2 hdtvs plus my other 2 tvs

Cable here as well

I live in Phoenix and have switched to Cox. To be honest, I like it better than Voom due to the HD-DVR player and I wish I would have switched earlier. They have all locals in HD, plus Stars, SHO, HBO, INHD 1 and 2, PBS, and UHD. The only thing I will miss from Voom is Monsters HD. I did not watch one single movie on Cinema 10 during the 1.5 years with Voom.
The price including the HD-DVR player is about 65/month, same as I was paying with Voom. They are also in the process of going entirely digitial in the 800 channels. Currently Spike, TBS etc are analog, but it will not be long until the digital option is available in the 800 channels. Once that happens, I will be very content. The digital signal is very good. I recorded Final Destination 2 on Encore and it looked very close to HD, but it was SD.

My .02 cents on part of the reason Voom failed was their abysmal customer service that prohibited word of mouth advertising. They owed me over $500 dollars and kept 'escalating' my claim. They stated they would call back but never did. This is the kind of BS that had me warn my friends to stay away. Sorry to get off topic and good luck to all finding new service.

kabota dragon said:
I live in Phoenix and have switched to Cox. To be honest, I like it better than Voom due to the HD-DVR player and I wish I would have switched earlier. They have all locals in HD, plus Stars, SHO, HBO, INHD 1 and 2, PBS, and UHD. The only thing I will miss from Voom is Monsters HD. I did not watch one single movie on Cinema 10 during the 1.5 years with Voom.
The price including the HD-DVR player is about 65/month, same as I was paying with Voom. They are also in the process of going entirely digitial in the 800 channels. Currently Spike, TBS etc are analog, but it will not be long until the digital option is available in the 800 channels. Once that happens, I will be very content. The digital signal is very good. I recorded Final Destination 2 on Encore and it looked very close to HD, but it was SD.

My .02 cents on part of the reason Voom failed was their abysmal customer service that prohibited word of mouth advertising. They owed me over $500 dollars and kept 'escalating' my claim. They stated they would call back but never did. This is the kind of BS that had me warn my friends to stay away. Sorry to get off topic and good luck to all finding new service.

I am switching to Cox HD here in Phoenix as well. The HD DVR is a nice addition, and the price is very competitive. I understand they will be increasing their HD lineup substantially once they get most of the analog channels converted over to digital. The switch to digital from analog will open up a lot of band width for HD. :eek:

I live in the Dallas area and I called Comcast last weekend and they said no deals were going and that I would have to pay regular prices stated on their web site. I will call again to see if anything has changed since then. If not then I will try to reinstall my old Dish Network dish and pay a $25.00 reactivation fee. All of the Dish Network sellers I have called have said they can do nothing for me since I am a previous Dish customer. They said I would have to call Dish Network directly which I did. They said they would do something called the Digital Home Advantage plan but that I would have to do a 2 year committment. Forget that! Wish me luck in reinstalling my old Dish. If I have to pay someone to come out and install it will cost at least $80.00. That is best quote I have so far for installs but I have not called other installers to compare.

Comcast Deal

mdanderson said:
I live in the Dallas area and I called Comcast last weekend and they said no deals were going and that I would have to pay regular prices stated on their web site. I will call again to see if anything has changed since then. If not then I will try to reinstall my old Dish Network dish and pay a $25.00 reactivation fee. All of the Dish Network sellers I have called have said they can do nothing for me since I am a previous Dish customer. They said I would have to call Dish Network directly which I did. They said they would do something called the Digital Home Advantage plan but that I would have to do a 2 year committment. Forget that! Wish me luck in reinstalling my old Dish. If I have to pay someone to come out and install it will cost at least $80.00. That is best quote I have so far for installs but I have not called other installers to compare.

Don't forget to tell the Comcast folks that you are coming from Satellite. They give a great deal even for XVoomers (Dish win back or buy back or whatever they call it) (at least in Maryland area)

Denver Comcast Offering

I just got off the phone with Comcast here in Denver. I told them I was a current satellite customer and that I wanted to change to Comcast. They offered me Digital Silver with HBO for 39.99 per month for 12 months. I was also able to add 2 HD-DVR's for 9.95 each per month.

Not too bad a deal.

FYI

Looking for advice

I had E* for about 4 years. Left in January for Voom, because not enough HD, and they put the screws to original 921 purchasers, and by my understanding, will put the screws to new 942 purchasers by end of year.

Voom is great, and had the son not sold out the father, I think we would have seen the DVR, and life would have been perfect...my house is now wired to support the network-connected model that Voom was demo-ing.

I understand that at CES D* picked up some/all of the Voom technology via the 3rd party developer.

So, now that the Voom I love is dying, any perceptions on which vendor actually has a better product? Both short-term and long-term answers, please.

Should I suck up my pride and return to E* who has the 942, knowing it will be a paperweight in 6-9 months, or take effectively the same route with D*, but perhaps with the expectation that a Voom-like, highly-networked DVR will emerge in that same time?

Thanks,
-NICK

I would sign up with cable for a few months. Pay $10 per month for a DVR, grab a "Dish Winback" discount, and then sit back and wait. You will not be "locked in" and 6-12 months from now we will have a much clearer picture of where both E* and D* stand in terms of delivering on their promises.

Wayne88 said:
Don't forget to tell the Comcast folks that you are coming from Satellite. They give a great deal even for XVoomers (Dish win back or buy back or whatever they call it) (at least in Maryland area)

Thanks for the additional information. I called Comcast back and told them about being with Voom but no special offers were offered to me.

mdanderson said:
Thanks for the additional information. I called Comcast back and told them about being with Voom but no special offers were offered to me.

The first CSR I spoke to was clueless so I hung up and called back. Just tell them you are currently a satellite subscriber and were interested in the "Dish Win Back" offers you heard about. The offers are in the system, a knowledgeable csr will find them easily enough.

Moved To E*

Just Got E* Install Today In South Florida, Very Profesional
One 811 Hd And One 522 Sd Dvr For 2 Rooms , Hd Picture Looks Just Like Voom
If You Need Recomendations E-mail To Sendy58@ol.com

shaun-ohio said:
here is the lowdown on the current offers today from both, i contacted both of them today, if you decide to go with directv for a 19.95 handling fee including installation, you get 4 recs hooked up, if you want hdtv, you purchase the rec for 299.00 and get 3 reg recs with it for the same handling fee, plus you get 6 months free hd pk included, you must commit to a years service, no dvrs included. if you want dishnetwork for 97.97 per month this is what is included with there dish digital advantage pk with no commitment and no equipment to purchase, you get a 811 rec for 1 room, plus a 311 dual tuner rec for the second and third room, this includes the americas everything pk w/locals 76.99, digital home advantage fee for 2nd rec 5.00, superstations 5.99, hd pk 9.99, there is no dvr included, you pay a one time activation fee of 49.99 and it will be credited on to your first bill you receive, this includes installation, so i for one am either going back to adelphia or dishnetwork, until more hd capability is available, doggone i miss voom already, due to the lack of hd channels from providers, thanks to a great group of guys and gals, i hope we can continue to grow and keep our user group alive , thanks, again , shaun

Well you are close on this one, but let me correct a few things:

1 - 2 811 HD rec's at no additional charge.

2 - DVR is included at no additional up front fee, but a $4.99 video on demand fee per month.

3- HD package is free for the first 6 months.

The only rec. that will cost extra up front on Dish Network is the 942 at $249 for new customers. And just for those who are unaware it is a DVR with 180 hours of recording time and runs 2 T.V.s at the same time independently.

Another thing to consider is this.....

Dish network has a total of 180 channels available on thier programming and Directv has 140. Plus because Directv has the NFL Sunday Ticket they do charge more for a lot of thier packages than Dish does.

Wayne88 said:
Boy, thanks for the tip! I am in Bay Area in California and I originally signed up for the 3-month $39.99 deal with Digital Silver. But after I read this, I asked for the "Dish Win Back" promotion and got Digital Plus w/ Standard + HD Pack for $38 a month for 16 months, a much better deal! Wonder if they have a "DSL Win Back" deal for internet?

BTW, the Comcast CSR I spoke to haven't heard of Voom, so you will have to specifically ask for the promotion and tell them you have dish.

Gold Pack

I just called Comcast and was offered the gold package (hbo and sho) 1 reg box and one hd box (no dvr) for 34.99 for one year. I didn't order right then I called back and was constantly offered the silver. When I asked the csr for a gold deal thats when he looked again in the computer and said he could offer the gold package. Set to come out on may 2nd.

TommyBoyTX said:
Looks good for me....
[Quote:
Originally Posted by adamneh
I just called Comcast to order. I inquired about the $25 off per month for DBS subs and they told me it had expired but that they could offer me a better deal. The deal I got is:

Comcast Digital Silver Package which includes one premium (HBO) @ 70.95/month
HD-DVR which obviously includes their HD channels (locals, INHD1&2,ESPNHD,DISCHD) @ 9.95/month

all that for $34.99/month for 12 months.

I asked the CSR multiple times if that price was correct and that it included the DVR. He said yes. I set up install for Sat the 23rd. I'll keep Voom alive until it goes dark.

So those of you in the D/FW area may want to consider Comcast as an option. That price is hard to beat.

Just hooked up with D*. Thanks Sean for the Value Electronics tip. Got the HDDVR and three other boxes (one HD) for around $1100. Man, I hope VOOM doesn't (but then again I do) resurrect itself soon or else I'll be kicking myself for this cash layout. But it will be handy to have HD Tivo capability (only with HD Lite!) Arrrrggh!! :no I sure wish things had proceeded with VOOM like we thought they would after the electronics show in Vegas. Oh well.

shaun-ohio said:
here is the lowdown on the current offers today from both, i contacted both of them today, if you decide to go with directv for a 19.95 handling fee including installation, you get 4 recs hooked up, if you
well kinda,
directtv is offering:
free instalation
free dvd player
3 months of FREE hbo cinemax stars encore and showtime

if you want a tivo you can get a 50$ dollar rebate making the tivo 49$

nathan

D* E* Pq?

Having been spoiled by the great PQ from VOOM and having to face the decision of D* or E* does anyone have any comments on which has the best overall PQ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)