DirecTV Offers Rebate to Voom Customers

VoomerGuy

Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Is this for real? I didn't think Direct TV had any HD Channels?
VoomerGuy

DirecTV Offers Rebate to Voom Customers

04/21/05 - Voom subscribers who switch over to DirecTV will receive a $200 rebate and three months free of DirecTV HD, according to SkyReport. Voom subscribers, who will be stuck without the service's 39 HD channels when they officially go off air April 30th, can choose from either an HD system or an HD digital video recorder (DVR) system.

It has been an up-and-down few months for Voom, as owner Cablevision voted to shut down the money losing service after chairman Charles Dolan was unable to come up with enough private funding to keep it alive. Since it launched in 2003, Voom has lost an estimated $661 million.

EchoStar Communications, provider of satellite rival Dish Network, recently purchased Voom's satellite for $200 million.

DirecTV has ESPN-HD, UNIVERSAL-HD, DISCOVERY-HD,HDNET,HDNET MOVIES. That's only 5 all HD channels in their package. If you count the OTA stations which most people get anyway, CBS,NBC,ABC & FOX that makes 9. Then if you subscribe separately to Showtime and HBO that's 2 more. However they nickle and dime you everytime you want something new like sports (pay more), HD movies (pay more) etc.

I discovered that my local Time/Warner cable company has 14 HD channels including INHD1 & INHD2 which play both sports and HD movies so that's a better deal where I am. My total cable bill (including internet service) will be around $80 plus taxes, franchise fees, etc. You might want to check out cable until we all find out where the VOOM 21 is going to end up. I have a feeling someone will pick them up.

Thank you for letting me know about this!!! I ordered DirecTV last week thinking that getting a install date would be difficult with so many Voom customers losing service.

I'm a bit upset at Voom for selling off my personal information because I received phone calls from DirecTV, Dish Network and Cox Cable all today trying to sell me their service.

If true, check the details. Probably a lifetime commitment policy to D*. Most local cable companies have a hd dvr they offer, more hd channels than D*, and NO upfront cost. D* is the last place I'd turn to in replacing voom.

randym431 said:
If true, check the details. Probably a lifetime commitment policy to D*. Most local cable companies have a hd dvr they offer, more hd channels than D*, and NO upfront cost. D* is the last place I'd turn to in replacing voom.
If my cable company offered HD, I'd certainly consider it...

WOW,Directv puts the most commitment (after voom) in to Hdtv and look what they get for that.:(

(spaceway 1 and 2 Directv 8,9,10,11,12) all them sats just for Hdtv

[B]Well it's back to the dark ages! [/B] What is wrong with this country that they buy millions of HDtv's and then they wont support the only provider that has content for those 3500 dollar HD TV's. :confused:

LET'S START THE RALLEY CRY! !protest WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE PICK UP THE VOOM 21!

Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 oom 21

lee espinoza said:
WOW,Directv puts the most commitment (after voom) in to Hdtv and look what they get for that.:(

(spaceway 1 and 2 Directv 8,9,10,11,12) all them sats just for Hdtv

You know that the Spaceway birds were originally committed for broadband? The market forced them to reassess the purpose of those birds. It will be interesting to see how Directv executes. It is always nice to have another choice in HDTV, specializing in quantity and quality.

DBOYKIN said:
[B]Well it's back to the dark ages! [/B] What is wrong with this country that they buy millions of HDtv's and then they wont support the only provider that has content for those 3500 dollar HD TV's. :confused:

LET'S START THE RALLEY CRY! !protest WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE PICK UP THE VOOM 21!

Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 Voom 21 oom 21

On another thread I mentioned something along this line (maybe needs its own thread), BUT, can we get the 40,000 VOOM sbuscribers to stop, halt,--don't renew ANYTHING right now--those that have, but not installed, CANCEL.

Use our numbers and pocket books to have a VOOM-in for at least 2 weeks or a month AFTER May 1 and not subscribe to ANYTHING anywhere--would that get their attention?

I realize that most on this forum have made other arrangements, but that's a small portion of the 40,000.

NOW--if Installs, Inc is getting the customer list, WHY can't someone on this forum who works for them get it too AND then start a group (or join the group who is lobbying FCC for competition in DBS)--contact the 40,000 VOOM customers from this list AND tell them NOT to subscribe to ANYTHING for 2 -4 weeks.

WHAT else can we do? Is 40,000 enough--I realize it's a big job, but, if we publicize this and use the forum members to form their own group--we can divvy up the contact list and use email or phone.

Why should we have to put up with these 2 BIG BULLIES, Devil-DIsh companies and buckle in to their crappy service and quality????

We can do other things--contact our congressmen---make concerted calls to Dish and Direct demanding some help with the FCC and their Local DNS HD channel policy that keeps us from getting HD Nationals when we have no other local service for a given netowrk.

There are a lot of things we can do, collectively--with communication, active involvement, sacrifice for awhile, etc.

YES__start a rally cry--but just asking someone to pick VOOM 21 on this forum will not do anything. We have to find some specific ways to change the tide.

Is there anyone on the forum who works for Installers, Inc who can get this customer list?

D* and E* both add each about 40,000 subs in a week, they don't care.

bruce said:
D* and E* both add each about 40,000 subs in a week, they don't care.
They care a little ... D* enough to give a rebate and E* to give their little discount. But they don't care enough to change their program offerings based on a 'boycott'.
lee espinoza said:
and it's 40,000 each 10 days
Hardly an audited figure, but 4k a day for E* is better than V* did in a month.

JL

bookwalk said:
On another thread I mentioned something along this line (maybe needs its own thread), BUT, can we get the 40,000 VOOM sbuscribers to stop, halt,--don't renew ANYTHING right now--those that have, but not installed, CANCEL.

Use our numbers and pocket books to have a VOOM-in for at least 2 weeks or a month AFTER May 1 and not subscribe to ANYTHING anywhere--would that get their attention?

I realize that most on this forum have made other arrangements, but that's a small portion of the 40,000.

NOW--if Installs, Inc is getting the customer list, WHY can't someone on this forum who works for them get it too AND then start a group (or join the group who is lobbying FCC for competition in DBS)--contact the 40,000 VOOM customers from this list AND tell them NOT to subscribe to ANYTHING for 2 -4 weeks.

WHAT else can we do? Is 40,000 enough--I realize it's a big job, but, if we publicize this and use the forum members to form their own group--we can divvy up the contact list and use email or phone.

Why should we have to put up with these 2 BIG BULLIES, Devil-DIsh companies and buckle in to their crappy service and quality????

We can do other things--contact our congressmen---make concerted calls to Dish and Direct demanding some help with the FCC and their Local DNS HD channel policy that keeps us from getting HD Nationals when we have no other local service for a given netowrk.

There are a lot of things we can do, collectively--with communication, active involvement, sacrifice for awhile, etc.

YES__start a rally cry--but just asking someone to pick VOOM 21 on this forum will not do anything. We have to find some specific ways to change the tide.

Is there anyone on the forum who works for Installers, Inc who can get this customer list?
40,000? if it was 1,000,000, then you would have a leg to stand on

jsb_hburg said:
You know that the Spaceway birds were originally committed for broadband? The market forced them to reassess the purpose of those birds. It will be interesting to see how Directv executes. It is always nice to have another choice in HDTV, specializing in quantity and quality.
yes i know that, Market? there is only 500,000 Hd D* subs, 60,000 voom subs the hd market is still small, were you make the most money now is still in sd.
alest D* is trying can you say that much for E*?

I don't understand why you guys want to spend more money than you have to.

E* GIVES you 2 HD receivers for FREE with no commitment, and the 942 dual tuner DVR has 180 hours of recording time as well as the 921, and costs a few hundred less than the Tivo. Same HD content.

And just FYI here is a copy of a letter we received yesterday.

Hi this is xxxx xxxxxxxx at the Voom Conversion center, as you know by know the Voom service will terminate on April 30th. As you may be aware Voom has sold the Satellite and control center to Dishnetwork

We are contacting you now to schedule your Satellite TV upgrade as there is only 1 week left to insure you have uninterrupted service.

We have a special Promotion through Dishnetwork to insure you continue to get the best deal available.

We can also qualify for a free digital video recorder if you call right now. So give us a call and get scheduled at 1-800-XXX-XXXX. We usually can get you hooked up right away. So again give us a call at 1-800-XXX-XXXX.

I know all of that, but the bottomline is that you are going to be paying a total of $299 for each hd receiver, and $20 for any standard receiver you want as well as $50 for the phase 3 dish. All you pay for Dish Network is $49.99 for up to 4 receivers. I wish that I would have gone with Dish Network after having Directv for about 7 months now, I like having the options of more channels and an upgrade program after a while, which is something that Direct does not have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts