DirecTV Offers Rebate to Voom Customers

Read these forums. The Dish forums are full of complaints about how shoddy the equipment. The CirecTV forums aren't nearly as much. Yes, Dish is cheaper. You get what you pay for.

madpoet said:
Read these forums. The Dish forums are full of complaints about how shoddy the equipment. The CirecTV forums aren't nearly as much. Yes, Dish is cheaper. You get what you pay for.

I had been with E* since 99 until about 3 months ago, of all their units, the real plain one ( forgot the model # ), the Dish Player, the 501, the 6000 and the 811, the only one I ever had problems with was the 6000, just like their were plenty of complaints about Voom's stb and there were people that said things that were positive about it, E* is the same way, both positive and negative, but to say such a general statement about E* ( shoddy ) is way off base.

bruce, while I realize forums are often an expression of anger rather than praise, surfing the various ones (here, AVS, DBSTalk, etc) seems to indicate that there's a whole lot of disatisfaction with E* equipment. And while certainly the D* receivers have their own share of problems, the overall mood seems to be much more positive in D* forums than E* forums in terms of equipment. I've only used the 6000 myself and it was fine (if loud!). But after reading about the recent D* releases I'm way too nervois to actually buy any of them. And their lease setup is a scam.

madpoet said:
bruce, while I realize forums are often an expression of anger rather than praise, surfing the various ones (here, AVS, DBSTalk, etc) seems to indicate that there's a whole lot of disatisfaction with E* equipment. And while certainly the D* receivers have their own share of problems, the overall mood seems to be much more positive in D* forums than E* forums in terms of equipment. I've only used the 6000 myself and it was fine (if loud!). But after reading about the recent D* releases I'm way too nervois to actually buy any of them. And their lease setup is a scam.

I think it is ways more positive for D* in everything.
For example, if I got that HD-Lite, I would be screaming ( posting in caps ) that I am not getting what I paid for, but at AVS it is a D* lovefest.
I am just amazed that today, I get a much, much better service out of f'ing Comcast Cable in both price, the best HD picture, the most HD channels ( well except for a few more days) and service ( the HD-DVR is wonderful at $10.00 a month).

AxE said:
I know all of that, but the bottomline is that you are going to be paying a total of $299 for each hd receiver, and $20 for any standard receiver you want as well as $50 for the phase 3 dish. All you pay for Dish Network is $49.99 for up to 4 receivers.
I'll say the same thing now that I said to people that ripped Voom all along. I am going to pick the provider that best fits MY SITUATION.

Anyone that is going to pay the above prices needs to shop around. The deal I am planning on taking with D* is 4 rooms - 1 HD receiver, 1 Tivo and two standard receivers for $389 (no shipping or tax) before $250 rebate.

That means basically paying $149 for D* vs. $0 for E* (or $250 if getting the 942). This is by no means a slam dunk decision for ME. I've read all kinds of forums, and there is both negative and positive for both providers (HD cable is not available here).

The things that are swaying ME toward D* at this point - although it is a very close 'race' -

1. There have been a lot of reports of buggy software for E*. While I would get frustrated myself, I could probably deal with it. I don't want to have to listen to someone else in the house let out a strong sigh when a program does not get recorded or something else wrong happens. ;)

2. We have had a stand-alone Tivo for over a year, so there's no learning curve - a definite plus for the WAF and 5 year old that are very comfortable with Tivo already.

3. Finally a chance to get Sunday Ticket! (which DOES result in a lot more HD content on Sundays at least)

I have spent a ton of time online the last few weeks trying to make an informed decision. I'm sure I would be happy with either provider, but at this point, I think D* is a better choice for ME. I am VERY tempted by the 942 offer to have an HD-DVR, but the above points have swayed ME the other direction at this point. For ME, the extra $150 is worth it for the piece of mind.

I may love my choice, and I certainly may end up regretting it. I had the same attitude going into Voom, and things worked out pretty nicely while they lasted.

I'm not choosing a life partner or job or investing in a house - this is only TV. If I'm not happy with it, I'll change!

Good luck to everyone that is changing - no matter what provider you may [or may not] choose!

bruce said:
I am just amazed that today, I get a much, much better service out of f'ing Comcast Cable in both price, the best HD picture, the most HD channels ( well except for a few more days) and service ( the HD-DVR is wonderful at $10.00 a month).
We had Comcast HD from the time it was released in MPLS until we moved last summer. We are now a little outside of the metro area, and HD cable is not available. If Comcast or TWC (both providers for different areas of the Twin Cities at the moment) were options, I would probably go that route and keep an eye on the satellite developments. Unfortunately that's not an option, so I either go with D* or E*, or buy an OTA receiver (unless Voom never picks their's up, and it works forever for OTA) and live with the limited cable offerings we have.

To me, I'd rather spend $100 - $200 (or nothing for many E* options) on satellite equipment than an OTA only receiver. Again, this is for MY situation...

scottie_h said:
I'm not choosing a life partner or job or investing in a house - this is only TV. If I'm not happy with it, I'll change!
Agreed. But heck, I'd also change the partner, job, or house if I wasn't happy with her/him, it, or it! :D

I know that I certainly am looking forward to Sunday Ticket ;). And yes, HDLite sucks. It's a matter of trade-offs. On the other hand, I can extract my Tivo'd recordings on D* and not on E*.

TheTimm said:
Agreed. But heck, I'd also change the partner, job, or house if I wasn't happy with her/him, it, or it! :D
Point taken... :neener

Regardless, the consequence of making the wrong decision is much more tolerable (especially financially!) with a television provider... :yes

scottie_h said:
I'm not choosing a life partner or job or investing in a house - this is only TV. If I'm not happy with it, I'll change! QUOTE]

But choose carefully, you only get one enticing sign-up with the Dish and Directv. Once they have you as an "existing customer" (which is almost forever if you've ever signed up) they offer you no good deals. It's full price all the way.

God I wish I had HD cable where I live. I'd take it in heartbeat.

that is not true with D* sometimes current subs get better deals than new subs like: $99 v $300 for a hd unit, $200-$500 off a Hd tivo, $20 off there top pak, $5-$10 off your current pak,FREE TIVO ect....

Ricknau said:
scottie_h said:
I'm not choosing a life partner or job or investing in a house - this is only TV. If I'm not happy with it, I'll change! QUOTE]

But choose carefully, you only get one enticing sign-up with the Dish and Directv. Once they have you as an "existing customer" (which is almost forever if you've ever signed up) they offer you no good deals. It's full price all the way.

God I wish I had HD cable where I live. I'd take it in heartbeat.

Not True Rick - I just called today, Ive had DTV for over 4 years off and on, I resubed in January due to all the uncertanty of Voom and they sent me to the retention department. The guy said that they were very happy to ensure that I recieved the same deal as other Voom Customers. He credited my account the $200, and gave me the 3 month deal. I also asked him about the whole 1500 HD Channels that they are advertising and he added that they will have capacity of 150 HD channels and the rest for HD Local Channels. After that I asked him when could I expect to get my HD locals since im in a smaller market about 2 hrs from Dallas and he said that Dtv has worked a deal called SHIVA or something like that, that will enable me to recieve Dallas HD locals. Sounded like they are doing all they can to help out both New and Existing customers.

Hehe, they tried to make the fact that they screwed their consumers with this Locals nonsense a GOOD thing? Yowsers.

Jdog, does DTV = Directv? If what you guys say is true then I stand corrected at least for Directv and I apologize.

And now I'm here to say I'm thoroughly confused about Dish. My "almost forever" comment was based on what I've heard from others and the fact that Dish would not sign me up as a new customer even though I canceled them 10 months ago. (Ah, 10 months of Voom bliss, gone away. :( ) But just now I called them to ask specifically how long does one have to be divorced from Dish to be considered a new customer. The rep tells me without hesitation... 3 MONTHS !! Huh??!! So I guess the method is (as we all should know by now), if you don't get satisfaction from one rep, keep calling back until you get one that will work with you.

Update: Made another call. I'm trying to get Dish via a sign-up deal they have with Sprint phone services (Home Digital Advantage plan). I had Sprint and Dish reps on the phone at the same time. This Dish rep says to get Dish via the Sprint offer I have to be divorced from Dish for 18 months. He said to sign up directly from Dish as a new customer the divorce time is 6 months. 18, 6, or 3... :confused:

Just called to sign up with Dish. They said after 6 months I'm not an "existing" or a "new" customer but rather a "returning" customer. They offered the same package as a new customer except it has a 2 year commitment. :(

Suddenly Bruce is a lineman for the county?? (i.e. 40,000 installs)

In answer to your question about Direct extending the rebate offer to existing customers you would probably have to cancel first and then wait a couple of weeks and come back as a new customer I would think.

The score on my card is Direct TV 11 HD channels (counting OTA) and TWC 14 so that's a no brainer. (also cable has TNT-HD if you want the NBA playoffs)

Good idea about the VOOM 21.

WE WANT VOOM 21................anybody???

lee espinoza said:
that is not true with D* sometimes current subs get better deals than new subs like: $99 v $300 for a hd unit, $200-$500 off a Hd tivo, $20 off there top pak, $5-$10 off your current pak,FREE TIVO ect....

lee, I don't think anyone can get anywhere near $500. off a HD TiVo, or a free TiVo or pay $99. for a HD STB?

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer

Dude, where do you live?

Tvlman said:
My total cable bill (including internet service) will be around $80 plus taxes, franchise fees, etc.

Hmmm... I was on TW in North Carolina until Feb. of this year, and my cable bill, for television ONLY was $90+ dollars, and I DID NOT subscribe to their $8.95 HD pack, or anything premium except HBO and Showtime.

Damn, you get more HD than I do...

Tvlman said:
The score on my card is Direct TV 11 HD channels (counting OTA) and TWC 14 so that's a no brainer.

TWC in my area = 9 HD channels WITHOUT having to pay an obscene amount extra for their HD pack. (I am however counting showtime and HBO's HD channels.) Also, TWC in our area DOES NOT carry our local ABC which does indeed broadcast HD.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
lee, I don't think anyone can get anywhere near $500. off a HD TiVo, or a free TiVo or pay $99. for a HD STB?

-Robert

VE Advanced Digital Technology Dealer
Robert, Yes they can, Ask the people over at TC Forum many of them have goting FREE SD TIVO, One guy at TC Forum got $500 off a Hd tivo, and there are many who (I am one of them) have got $99 non-dvr Hd unit from D*.

What happens if you want two HD receivers from D* ? Can you get $ 400 off, or is the offer just $ 200 for one receiver and the other is full price ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)