Current Issues with VOOM's PQ

Kind of offtopic, but V* still offers the most HD, the only question for you to answer is "Can I get all my locals OTA" for that check www.antennaweb.org, if so, V* is the only solution for more HD programming. Their PQ is pretty good, and at this point their latest firmware performs well. I like V* more now than when I first started!

I have both DirecTV HD and Voom. In most channels Voom has temporary freeze ups and pings in its video. It is sometimes extremely frustrating to watch a show in HD with all of the freeze ups. On DirecTV HD I have never had a freeze up or ping on their HD channels.
I got Voom for their HD programming and it is not very appealing. No OTA channels, I can't see the Marlins on Fox FL HD, and no Olympics (though that was NBC's fault). If Voom wants to increase subscribers they must provide unique coverage not on DirecTV or be competitive like DirecTV and offer sports channels and networks. I won't give up DirecTV because of the sports programming and channels like History Int'l , BBC America and HGTV. Additionally DirecTV provides CBS HD and soon NBC HD.
I plan to give Voom a little bit more time to provide more HD programming and if they don't I will leave them. Voom original channels repeat the same 20 year old movies on a weekly basis and the rest of their original channels are bad to say the least.

One of my all time favorite movies is A Clockwork Orange. I watched it on one of the Voom Cinema 10 channels a couple of months ago and was disappointed by the PQ and posted about it at the time. It was very grainy. Last night I watched it again on HDNet through D* and the quality was amazing. OK, maybe amazing is a bit much for a 33 year old movie, but it looked great, way better than it did on Voom.

I would do it all over again. I really like Voom. There are some occasional PQ issues but at other times the PQ is simply amazing!

I had digital cable before and the HD PQ was pretty good, SD PQ was poor on lower analog channels. Overall Vooms PQ on SD and HD is pretty good, they still have some unresolved issues but it seems to have improved over the last couple of months. Some of the film transfers on Cinema 10 are stunning, while others are a not as good. It really depends on the original source.

I receive all my OTA channels ok. Have 3 boxes and VaVaVoom service. The TV we mostly watch is a 65" Toshiba HD wide screen in 1080i mode. The others are SD tube types. (Although I will be upgrading the family room to a HDTV soon)

I haven't had any box lockups since the last couple of software upgrades. (Mostly from channel surfing too fast in the old software.)

Most quantity HD channels available anywhere period. Price is fair for the # of HD channels.

They're still having some startup issues, if you have patients and are willing to work through them then Voom is an excellent choice for HDTV.

Was it just me or did the PQ on the all HD channels really suck over the weekend? I watched very little TV on Saturday, however I noticed the VOOM HD Exclusives were almost unwatchable on Sunday. The Marquise channels were a bit better, but DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD were much better on cable...they are usually identical. Anyway, even VOOM's better channels (HDN, Auction, Rave, etc.) looked extremely soft. I rebooted the STB and cable HD was still much better.

I am hoping this is temporary issue, but I'm surprised nobody else picked up on this. Can anyone else verify my observation? It's a good thing I had lots HD football and the "Man on Fire" DVD to keep me occupied.

I didn't notice any problems with pq. I watched ESPN HD and some of the Voom exclusives and everything seemed normal...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)