Current sat chart?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dfwratt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
Taxes
Ok, i up and running. But i was using lyngsat as ch. Reference.. And lyngsat list must not be current. So. Any curfent reference list? Or what birds have fta eng. I hopped on 125w and a fewof the listed ch were good but. I. E. No nbc feeds no pbs. But rest ok. I did find a velocity stream. On a sat.

Ok, i up and running. But i was using lyngsat as ch. Reference.. And lyngsat list must not be current. So. Any curfent reference list? Or what birds have fta eng. I hopped on 125w and a few of the listed ch were good but. I. E. No nbc feeds no pbs. But rest ok. I did find a velocity stream. On a sat.

Lingsat, like most other lists aren't up to date. You have to remember that some of this stuff changes almost daily so it's hard to keep up those lists with mostly volunteer blind scanners. There is a list here but it too is out of date. http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist

Velocity is on 121w Ku. NBC main network feeds are on 103w Ku. PBS is on 125W Ku. NBC main network feeds are also on 105W Cband and also some Local NBC Affiliates are on Ku on that bird.

Isn't there also a guide somewhere that tells you the suggested size of dish needed per satellite?
At Lyngsat you can click on the transponder number area and link to a satellite footprint map with those values. But they are not really useful because they take for granted that everything is the best it can get, the highest power, lowest data rate, best FEC, etc. In real life you will find a lot of variance.
SES 1 at 101.0°W - LyngSat Maps

Reactions: comfortably_numb
At Lyngsat you can click on the transponder number area and link to a satellite footprint map with those values. But they are not really useful because they take for granted that everything is the best it can get, the highest power, lowest data rate, best FEC, etc. In real life you will find a lot of variance.
SES 1 at 101.0°W - LyngSat Maps

Yeah, according to that map, I ought to be able to get 125 with a 50-65cm dish :biggrin2

So anything worth aiming to, i need to set up my c band..... ..

As is, i can get 90% of ku on my old 24" setup. Minus some 8psk

You're getting Montana PBS and all the other PBS stations on 125 with a 24" inch dish?
I did too, with an old DN "superdish". There was very little margin for rainfade etc, and it would occasionally freeze for 1 sec. But still, it was working and was definitely watchable. And since i'm in the Northeast, that was with less than 20 degrees elevation. I have since replaced that dish with a 90cm.

The point is, 50-60cm for 125W is definitely too small for a reliable reception. But that doesn't mean that it's not possible (when the conditions are favorable)

Those dish size indications on the various sites are almost always overly optimistic, and quite misleading. On the other hand some people seem to think that anything smaller than a 120cm is unusable for Ku FTA reception... that's a bit pessimistic... Most Ku channels "can" be received with 60 to 90cm dishes but the smaller dishes are likely to lose reception during heavy rain or snow. Still better than no FTA...

Last edited:
I did too, with an old DN "superdish". There was very little margin for rainfade etc, and it would occasionally freeze for 1 sec. But still, it was working and was definitely watchable. And since i'm in the Northeast, that was with less than 20 degrees elevation. I have since replaced that dish with a 90cm.

The point is, 50-60cm for 125W is definitely too small for a reliable reception. But that doesn't mean that it's not possible (when the conditions are favorable)

Those dish size indications on the various sites are almost always overly optimistic, and quite misleading. On the other hand some people seem to think that anything smaller than a 120cm is unusable for Ku FTA reception... that's a bit pessimistic... Most Ku channels "can" be received with 60 to 90cm dishes but the smaller dishes are likely to lose reception during heavy rain or snow. Still better than no FTA...

I agree and if you compare the price of a 76cm with 100cm then you will understand why people for some sats use a smaller dish! Another good thing about a smaller dish is if you are in an RV you can take a 76cm dish with ya and watch tv. For froogle users a 76cm will work for certain applications and if its raining hard get yourself a good over the air antenna for rainy days! :) hehe

Reactions: Brct203
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts