curved TVs

shanklej

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Ocala fl
I think I am a tad confused.
To Make a curved tv it must be OLED. Right?
I have seen several curved TVs in stores but they
are not labeled as OLED and the price is around
$3,000. Not $9000..
Can somebody that is not confused straighten
this out for me?

Those curved you've seen around $3,000 are LED, not OLED. Most OLED displays are curved, but many new 4K LED sets are curved too.
It's probably easier to curve OLED - no concerns about uneven backlighting, but it is possible with LED too and buyers seem to like it. ;)

I read somewhere that LG is 'planning' on 'releasing' the OLED tv's come 2016, BUT
"Analysts remain sceptical about OLED's future, mainly due to price. LG Electronics' 65-inch ultra high-definition OLED TV launched in South Korea last year was priced at 12 million won ($10,874), more than three times the price of a comparable LCD TV by the same company."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/06/us-lg-display-oled-idUSKBN0KF0LG20150106
Seems all other display manufacturers have 'left the boat' afloat by itself.

LG doesn't seem to share that skepticism: it has just announced seven new 4K OLED displays (in addition to those already on sale since last year) and expects to sell 600,000 OLED panels in 2015 and 1.5 million in 2016...

Those curved you've seen around $3,000 are LED, not OLED. Most OLED displays are curved, but many new 4K LED sets are curved too.
It's probably easier to curve OLED - no concerns about uneven backlighting, but it is possible with LED too and buyers seem to like it. ;)

I just checked BestBuy.com - it does list a $3,499.99 55" curved OLED unit. Perhaps that's what the OP was referring to.
That's OLED, but not 4K. 1080p only.

I think I am a tad confused.
To Make a curved tv it must be OLED. Right?
I have seen several curved TVs in stores but they
are not labeled as OLED and the price is around
$3,000. Not $9000..
Can somebody that is not confused straighten
this out for me?
No. They do not have to be OLED to be curved. Most of what you are seeing at BB, etc. are LED.
There's only two models out right now. Both by 55" by LG. One curved, the other flat. Obviously more are on the horizon being announced at CES.

S~

I see curved as just a fashion trend. There is no real reason for it except to be cool and different. In front projection it can make a difference (which is why theaters are putting in curved screens). Since LCD/OLED are not dealing with or compensating for a curved projection lens there is no real reason other than fashion for them to be curved.

Sharp had a commercial curved LCD panel, but it was convex to fit on a column. It looked pretty cool, but again, a limited market.

I saw one at either Costco or BJ's. The curved TV just looks dumb to me. I just don't see the point. Then again, I'm sitting on a cushion on the floor in front of my 32" tv.

I saw one at either Costco or BJ's. The curved TV just looks dumb to me. I just don't see the point. Then again, I'm sitting on a cushion on the floor in front of my 32" tv.
I have no intention of ever buying a curved TV OLED or otherwise.
IMHO It's just a sales gimmick which I hope will fail. I was in HHgregg
and they had a OLED TV displayed and the picture was stunning.
I hope soon they will solve the burn in and mfg. cost problems.
Seems like to good of a tech to let it fail.

Well LG has an OLED tv lineup. I agree, it's definitely a fad. Another way to sway consumers in buying something that they don't actually need. I won't get surprised if one day we'd see CRT-looking LED TVs that are meant to change the HD world would be out in the market. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)