Customer Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
My condensate pump went out on my furnace. I removed it and opened it up to see what could be fixed on it. It was the special switch on the float that went wacky. I checked and Emailed the manufacturer looking for the part. In a week I had no answer. So I called the company and was told I had to be a dealer to do anything with that company. Well, I had already checked with several dealers and all they wanted to do was sell new units. I mentioned that to the "pump person" and he stated we do not do parts. I stated "OK, I will buy a new one. It will be from a different manufacturer for sure." Told them to have a nice day and hung up the phone.

My satellite TV went out the other day and after much checking I went out to the dish. I removed the sealer on the F connector and removed it. Well, much to my shock the F connector came off. The center wire was gone and looked like it had melted off. The real bad part was the connector on the Titanium PLL C-Band LNBF was also damaged. A PM to Brian about my problem and in a short amount of time a new connector was in the mail. He unsoldered one from a dead unit and sent it to me. It arrived and I soldered it to the circuit board and reinstalled the LNBF. Works just like it did in the past, GREAT! I now have it sealed up with dielectric silicone.

That is what you call REAL customer service!

I'm at a loss trying to understand what a furnace has to do with satellite TV. This thread confuses me. However, It is great folks take the time to help others, even if it is not about satellite. :thumbup

Really!? I am sure you posted that as a joke. If not, then it is an analogy of customer service. The comparing of a company that could care less about getting you the parts you need and one that will go out of their way to make sure you receive what you need to fix the product that you purchased from them in the past. I hope you can understand that........

My condensate pump went out on my furnace. I removed it and opened it up to see what could be fixed on it. It was the special switch on the float that went wacky. I checked and Emailed the manufacturer looking for the part. In a week I had no answer. So I called the company and was told I had to be a dealer to do anything with that company. Well, I had already checked with several dealers and all they wanted to do was sell new units. I mentioned that to the "pump person" and he stated we do not do parts. I stated "OK, I will buy a new one. It will be from a different manufacturer for sure." Told them to have a nice day and hung up the phone.

My satellite TV went out the other day and after much checking I went out to the dish. I removed the sealer on the F connector and removed it. Well, much to my shock the F connector came off. The center wire was gone and looked like it had melted off. The real bad part was the connector on the Titanium PLL C-Band LNBF was also damaged. A PM to Brian about my problem and in a short amount of time a new connector was in the mail. He unsoldered one from a dead unit and sent it to me. It arrived and I soldered it to the circuit board and reinstalled the LNBF. Works just like it did in the past, GREAT! I now have it sealed up with dielectric silicone.

That is what you call REAL customer service!

It has been my experience when you see a center conductor gone and the F-Connector blackened or rotted away, there's been water in a connection. I'm not sure what you sealed it with, but never use RTV silicone or anything similar to it creates acetic acid as it cures and will corrode the fittings. Here is what I use.
p.jpg
You can purchase it off EBay for $3.29 a box plus shipping. It's on a roll that's 60 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and it will do several connections. The shipping's a little high, but when you buy 10 rolls like I did, it's not so bad. This stuff is extremely sticky in hot weather, but it can be used again. It's on a "non-stick" film, but it's anything from non-stick. It's worth the money.

Reactions: sgs and KE4EST
I have been using something very similar to the seal you mentioned for many years. Never had a problem like I did this time. Water must have found a micro-place to get past it into the connector. I don't know if the RTV silicone you mentioned is the same as dielectric silicone, but it has been stated here that several use it. I used it this time to see what happens. Time will tell.

Really!? I am sure you posted that as a joke. If not, then it is an analogy of customer service. The comparing of a company that could care less about getting you the parts you need and one that will go out of their way to make sure you receive what you need to fix the product that you purchased from them in the past. I hope you can understand that........
Yeah sorry. I did not fully read the original post. My bad... and yes, I do understand. (Again, sorry.)

I have been using something very similar to the seal you mentioned for many years. Never had a problem like I did this time. Water must have found a micro-place to get past it into the connector. I don't know if the RTV silicone you mentioned is the same as dielectric silicone, but it has been stated here that several use it. I used it this time to see what happens. Time will tell.

Dielectric Silicone and RTV are different. The dielectric silicone or grease as its been called doesn't harden, RTV does. RTV gets a vinegar smell to it when it cures. Dielectric grease stays pasty and soft and keeps water from infiltrating the connector. I usually squirt a small drop of it inside the F-connector just in case the "O" ring fails. There's also a rubber boot you can get that goes on the cable before you put on the F-connector. Once you crimp it, the boot slips down the cable and over the connectors.

Reactions: RT-Cat
Static buildup or a nearby lightning strike could have burnt out the center core as well.

I got lazy and used one of my corner post for my chain link fence as a pole for a Dish Network dish and lightening hit the fence. It was the only unprotected path to the house. It took out 2 65 inch HD TV's, a surveillance DVR, 6 cameras, two DVD players, a Roku box, an STB, a motor drive box, the sensor on the motor arm and a $300 cordless phone. Expensive lesson. Argued with the insurance company for 6 months, but they finally paid all but $150 dollars of it.

600 feet of chain link fence is a big target. :)

OUCH!
I would state you did very well with the insurance company. I am in the woods and have trees that are many times higher than the highest part of any of my dishes. Maybe they help here. Lot of ground rods also.....

OUCH!
I would state you did very well with the insurance company. I am in the woods and have trees that are many times higher than the highest part of any of my dishes. Maybe they help here. Lot of ground rods also.....

Anything you can do to block lightning's path is a plus. I never dreamed of lightning hitting my fence and making it to the house, but it did. In all, there are at least 50 galvanized posts planted 3 feet in the ground, so there were multiple paths to ground, but it made it to the house anyway. Now, everything has surge protectors and other gadgets to avoid a situation like that again. So far, so good. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts