D* Satellite Launch Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
beast37799 said:
11 days till d*8
------------
Launch time: 1759:35 GMT (1:59:35 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan

An ILS Proton rocket with a Breeze M upper stage will launch the DIRECTV 8 direct-to-home television broadcasting spacecraft. The Loral-built satellite will be used to provide services across the U.S. for DIRECTV subscribers. :)

Friday, May 13, 2005

BREAKING NEWS
DIRECTV 8 Preps For Launch
According to Sky Report, the launch of DIRECTV's next satellite DIRECTV 8 is still on schedule for May 21. The Ku/Ka-band hybrid is slated to life off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan towards an orbital slot at 101 degrees west longitude. Once in operation this summer, DIRECTV 8 will replace an older DBS satellite and handle the company's rollout of high-definition channels.

OK, folks. Need some "plain English disclosure" of what's going on. I am about to subscribe to D* with two R10s. I plan to get HD in the future when the cost of STBs drop. I DO NOT want to have a dish farm on my roof.

(1) Should I proceed with the purchase of SD-only equipment?
(2) Will I be forced to get a second dish in the future if I want HD, or will it be a larger, replacement dish?
(3) Would you anticipate/speculate that I would have to purchase the new dish when I eventually get HD?
(4) Can I purchase the new dish now, even though I am only getting SD, so that I am ready to roll when I eventually get HD?

Thanks.

MI_SAT said:
OK, folks. Need some "plain English disclosure" of what's going on. I am about to subscribe to D* with two R10s. I plan to get HD in the future when the cost of STBs drop. I DO NOT want to have a dish farm on my roof.

(2) Will I be forced to get a second dish in the future if I want HD, or will it be a larger, replacement dish?
(3) Would you anticipate/speculate that I would have to purchase the new dish when I eventually get HD?
(4) Can I purchase the new dish now, even though I am only getting SD, so that I am ready to roll when I eventually get HD?

Thanks.

Just go ahead and buy the stuff now,
and later they will install a new dish and stb, and take down the old dish.

No point waiting...

MI_SAT said:

Thanks.

1) Yes... There is no need to wait, because the STBs could just as easily get more expensive.
2) Yes, BUT... There will be a new, larger dish in the future. The dish you will get now is fully capable of HD, provided you get an HD STB. When it's time for your upgrade, D* will send an installer out to swap the dish and install your new boxes.
3) It's everyone's understanding that the actual dish swapout will be at no charge.
4) Unfortunately no, you can't get the new dish (which is actually for Mpg4, not just HD) just yet, but you will be able to have the current 3 lnb dish swapped out just as soon as your number comes up for the upgrade.

Hope that helps! ;)

Will D*Tivo record the launch?

I tried to record the launch last time. Did a manual channel and time setup and got nothing at all... Did anyone have any luck getting the launch to tivo? What approach did you use. The channel (855) did not come up in my PG, so I tried the manual date/time/channel approach.

Thanks, I really want to see the next one go up.:clap

cr0mag said:
I tried to record the launch last time. Did a manual channel and time setup and got nothing at all... Did anyone have any luck getting the launch to tivo? What approach did you use. The channel (855) did not come up in my PG, so I tried the manual date/time/channel approach.

Thanks, I really want to see the next one go up.:clap
I'm not sure if this one will be covered or not. I did a manual record chan/date/time
for 855 last time and had no problems with it. The channel was listed as a
"private" user. Perhaps you used the wrong day? (it was early in the A.M. :mad: ) or you may not have that channel range as usable channels
you receive?

I dunno... Guess it's not the end of the world (unless you're vo0m). I'll keep an eye out for another televised launch, though... ;)
Thanks!

cr0mag said:
1) Yes... There is no need to wait, because the STBs could just as easily get more expensive.
2) Yes, BUT... There will be a new, larger dish in the future. The dish you will get now is fully capable of HD, provided you get an HD STB. When it's time for your upgrade, D* will send an installer out to swap the dish and install your new boxes.
3) It's everyone's understanding that the actual dish swapout will be at no charge.
4) Unfortunately no, you can't get the new dish (which is actually for Mpg4, not just HD) just yet, but you will be able to have the current 3 lnb dish swapped out just as soon as your number comes up for the upgrade.

Hope that helps! ;)

Absolutely helps! Thank you. I placed my order!

moonman said:
Any word if there will be any TV coverage on this one?

DirecTV's web site has a link to the video feed of the launch in the upper left corner.

It doesn't look like there'll be a satellite feed on channel 855 this time.

Hope this helps!

From Space Flight Now

"1335 GMT (9:35 a.m. EDT)

SCRUB. Today's launch of a replacement broadcasting spacecraft for DIRECTV aboard a Russian Proton rocket has been postponed because of a technical concern with the booster. Details on the glitch and a new launch date are pending. "

fkostyn said:
From Space Flight Now

"1335 GMT (9:35 a.m. EDT)

SCRUB. Today's launch of a replacement broadcasting spacecraft for DIRECTV aboard a Russian Proton rocket has been postponed because of a technical concern with the booster. Details on the glitch and a new launch date are pending. "

IF it blows up Im switching to Dish:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.