D10 July 2007 Satellite Launch Prep-Final BLog Entry Posted

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for positng that book - very interesting. I'm glad it has some English to go along with the Russian.

Thanks milfab

Countdown has started........
The countdown clock for DIRECTV 10's launch has officially started on the ILS homepage! Also, we have the webcast test page link up so you can bookmark it for the live broadcast on launch day. The broadcast begins approximately 30 minutes prior to launch, which is currently scheduled for July 6 at 21:16:19, EDT.
Webcast link. Proton DIRECTV 10 Launch
ILS home page with countdown clock.... ILS 2007

Last edited:
DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - DIRECTV10 Blog --Countdown started: Update June 29

DYV10 Launch
Hey boys and girls. I'm new to your posting site.

My name is Michael Thee and I work for ILS. I am presently in Baikonur, Kazakhstan and my job is launch operations manager for the DTV 10 launch campaign. I have been reading thru your postings and I would like to say how nice it is to see such interest in what we are doing out here.

I would just like to answer a few questions that have been popping up. There are a few reasons why the ILS Blog is not updated in as timely a fashion as you would all like to see.

1. We refer to it as the interNYET on most days. But, they do the best they can with 1 mbps access, 56kbps dial up from the hotel out here. So needless to say, it is slow. And to try to download a picture? Well, you all should know how slow that is.

2. Somedays there is just nothing to report. SC battery charging may be ongoing; launch vehicle standalone testing may be in progress; electrical checkouts may be occuring; it may just be a day off (not that we have many of those on campaign).

3. The updates are written out here and we will subsequently send them to our home office in Virginia, where they are added to the site. Add to this point the fact that there is a 10 hour time difference, and well, you may see part of the problem.

4. And this is the biggest reason: I do the updating from out here!!!

Some days it doesn't get updated because I will start my day at 8:00 am and will get back to the hotel at 11:00 at night. WAYYYYY too tired to update the blog.

Some days we just get too busy to have a chance to get to it.

Some days, I just don't FEEL like it!!!

But just so you all know (and you will know before the blog even gets updated), we have begun Breeze-M loading. That means we are in the final stretch. DTV10 and the launch vehicle will be heading out to the pad soon. All looks great for an on-time launch on 7/7/07 @ 7:16 am local time here (play the 7's baybeeeeee!!!).

That will equate to 9:16 pm on 7/6/07 EST.

Thanks again for all the interest. It makes me feel like there are more than just my family and friends pulling for us out there.

Best regards,

Michael G. Thee
ILS
Launch Operations Manager

Last edited:
Directv coverage will be on channel 570...............
--------------------------------------------
Media Advisory: ILS Proton to Launch DIRECTV 10
Payload: DIRECTV 10, Boeing 702 platform

Separated Mass: Approx. 5,893 kg (12,992 lbs)

Launch Vehicle: Proton M/Breeze M

Weight at Liftoff: 691,272 kg (1.5 million lbs),including payload

Height: 56.2 m (184 ft)

Launch Date: Saturday, July 7, 2007

Launch Window Opens: 7:16 a.m. Baikonur; 1:16 GMT; 9:16 p.m. Friday, July 6 EDT; 6:16 p.m. Friday, July 6 PDT

Launch Site: Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan; Launch Pad 39

End User: DIRECTV, Inc., leading U.S. direct-to-home entertainment provider, El Segundo, Calif.

Satellite
Manufacturer: The Boeing Co., El Segundo, Calif.

Launch Vehicle
Manufacturer: Khrunichev State Research and Production Space Center, Moscow

Launch Services
Provider: International Launch Services (ILS), McLean, Va.

Satellite Use: National and local high-definition DIRECTV services

Satellite Statistics:

-3rd DIRECTV satellite launched by ILS on Proton
-Orbital location: 102.8 degrees West longitude
-131 Ka-band transponders for national and spot beams
-48-meter gallium-arsenide solar array
-Anticipated service life of 15 years

Mission Profile: The Proton launch vehicle will inject the DIRECTV 10 satellite into geosynchronous transfer orbit. The first three stages will use a standard ascent trajectory to place the Breeze M upper stage with the satellite into a suborbital trajectory, from which the Breeze M will place itself and the spacecraft into a circular parking orbit of 173 km (107.5 mi), inclined at 48 degrees. Then the Breeze M will ignite four more times to propel the satellite to its target geosynchronous transfer orbit of 35,786 km x 4,901 km (22,236 mi x 3,045 mi), inclined at 21.4 degrees. Following separation from the Breeze M, the spacecraft will perform a series of liquid apogee engine burns to raise perigee, lower inclination and circularize the orbit at the geostationary altitude of 36,000 km (22,300 mi).

Spacecraft Separation: Approximately 9 hours, 8 minutes, 40 seconds after liftoff

ILS Mission Statistics:

-2nd ILS mission this year
-326th Proton mission overall
-41st ILS mission on Proton

Live Broadcast: ILS will begin the broadcast/webcast about 8:55 p.m. EDT. DIRECTV customers can view the launch on channel 570.

More Information: Live webcast and general mission information will be available on the ILS web site at ILS 2007. Launch status updates are available on the ILS U.S. domestic Launch Hotline at 1-800-852-4980.

###

Isn't it ironic that the satellite launch mostly aimed at increasing hd capacity will not be shown in hd?

Isn't it ironic that the satellite launch mostly aimed at increasing hd capacity will not be shown in hd?

Not really. I don't expect to see coverage of laying fiber optic lines to increase HD capacity to suck up HD bandwidth that the provider does not have. Also, the cost and equipment to get it in Kazakhstan isn't justified. I would rather Directv spent the money on bonuses to the team that successfully delivers the satellite into space.

"I don't expect to see coverage of laying fiber optic lines to increase HD capacity to suck up HD bandwidth that the provider does not have."

Yes, that's truly as exciting as seeing a satellite launch. But your other point is noted. Spoiled with hdnet I guess.

They Russians are just so darn experienced and good at this too. So combo of quality, experience and price, you cant beat a Russian space mission or rocket launch.

WoooWhOOO! Let's get that bird in the air. I was reading some of the posts on the Sept. additions for HD. This is really going to be great!

LAUNCH THAT ROCKET! Failure is not an option!

:hungry:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts