D12 satellite - now we're receiving signals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So much for the twelth of never. DirecTvs new promo starts 5-13. Any coincidence?:D

I have to chuckle when I see DIRECTV 12 moving at nearly twice as fast as DIRECTV's own timeline after all the finger pointing and dismissal regarding rushing Echostar 14.

Why, who said those with the fingers knew what they were talking about? How fast D12 is moving could have been the plan all along. You don't know any more than anyone else does about it.

How fast D12 is moving could have been the plan all along.
If that were the case, it would seem that DIRECTV wouldn't have said that the drift was going to take 20 days and request 30 days from the FCC.

My comment has to do with those who proclaimed DISH foolish, careless and wasteful for moving E14 smartly into place when D12 has obviously gone to "ludicrous speed" to get to its destination.

This morning's TLE puts D12 at 94.44. This thing is moving.
Bolt.gif

Unless they spend a lot of time fine tuning it's final position, I think we could see the first channel from D12 appear on 5/19 or 5/20.

If that were the case, it would seem that DIRECTV wouldn't have said that the drift was going to take 20 days and request 30 days from the FCC.

My comment has to do with those who proclaimed DISH foolish, careless and wasteful for moving E14 smartly into place when D12 has obviously gone to "ludicrous speed" to get to its destination.

30 days is the minimum that you can request and I don't think Directv ever said "twenty days". All of us were going by how long the last 2 sats took to make the move and guessed this would be the same. Some people did wrongly criticize Dish for moving too fast when they don't know the reasons why. I have never spoken ill of Dish Network or cable or FIOS, and never will.

Point taken on the speed used, however, the 20 day drift mentioned could well have been a worst case scenario. Again, you have no better idea what the real plan is, nor do I nor probably anyone else here.

I have to chuckle when I see DIRECTV 12 moving at nearly twice as fast as DIRECTV's own timeline after all the finger pointing and dismissal regarding rushing Echostar 14.

I don't see them rushing E14 at all. They've been on plan for the transition to start 5/21, this has been set for quite a while.

I don't see them rushing E14 at all. They've been on plan for the transition to start 5/21, this has been set for quite a while.

There were several posts at dbstalk about how much faster E14 was getting to it's final spot compared to D12. They were more about how much slower Directv was in getting D12 on line compared to Dish and E14, not how fast Dish itself is.

According to the statement inside that link of your quoted post:

"It is planned to be co-located with SPACEWAY-1 and DirecTV-10 at or very near 102.8W"

What is the proposed location for this bird?:D
102.765W

As of last night (midnight MDT), D12 was projected at 106W and maintaining its drift orbit (still moving west at a good clip). If nothing has changed in the interim, it is at 107.35W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)