D12 satellite - now we're receiving signals!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV filed with the FCC for a "special temporary authority" STA to keep DirecTV 12 at 76 WL for up to another 30 days.

It was expected that D12 would be drifting to it's home at 103 WL by now.

No word if this is problem related or if they just needed more time to test the special BSS payload (satellite features being tested for future developments).

Needless to say, if they use any significant portion of the 30 days they asked for this will delay the addition of HD channels most likely into May.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=806452

EDIT 5/12:

DirecTV 12 is now parked at 103 degrees WL and users are receiving signal on 103(ca) (see attached).

Very soon the channel load from DirecTV 10 will move to DirecTV 12, and they will attempt to repair spotbeams on DirecTV 10. After that is completed, we would expect the HD expansion to pickup pace when DirecTV 10 returns to service.
For info on this upcoming attempt, see this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/212378-big-news-directv-12-take-directv.html

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 284
I saw some talk about it but figured it should have its own thread with the FCC filing. Thanks for posting it this afternoon.

I bet they are having problems with the 3D. Got to get it right for the 30 subs. who will actually buy one. I heard they are trying to get it to where people can watch more than 2 hrs without their head exploding. :D

As I said before they could temporarly turn off some of the HD PPV channels and still launch new HD in April without D12 in place.

If I was in charge that is what I would do. DIRECTV customers have been VERY patient.

As I said before they could temporarly turn off some of the HD PPV channels and still launch new HD in April without D12 in place.

If I was in charge that is what I would do. DIRECTV customers have been VERY patient.
Especially since there is no ST going on right now. They do not currently need all of those PPV place holders

As long as the testing goes well over the next 30 days, I can see them using the extra PPV capacity for more HD. If they have issues then that is a different story. They will then want to keep the capacity for the fall sports lineup.

As long as the testing goes well over the next 30 days, I can see them using the extra PPV capacity for more HD. If they have issues then that is a different story. They will then want to keep the capacity for the fall sports lineup.

I agree with this. If they put new full time channels in place of the channels that are currently used for part time RSNs/HD PPVs and then D12 wound up being a complete failure, then they would have to pull down channels again for the NFL ST like they did a couple of years ago. During the NFL ST Sundays (which also included some NBA and NHL games) virtually all of the HD PPVs were reused for the football games. IIRC there was only 2 or 3 HD PPVs up during that time.

Amazing! One guy on dbstalk posts that someone he knows at Directv told him there is a problem with D12, and the lemmings there are panicking! No substantiation, no real reason to believe it's true, and dozens of posts telling us the satellite world is ending! :eek: GET A GRIP, PEOPLE! If there is a real problem with D12, Directv will have to say something about it soon. Until then, sit back and chill. There is nothing we can do about it anyway!

Amazing! One guy on dbstalk posts that someone he knows at Directv told him there is a problem with D12, and the lemmings there are panicking! No substantiation, no real reason to believe it's true, and dozens of posts telling us the satellite world is ending! :eek: GET A GRIP, PEOPLE! If there is a real problem with D12, Directv will have to say something about it soon. Until then, sit back and chill. There is nothing we can do about it anyway!

As an IT professional I can only state the number of times that we take a new server then delay it production launch to sure everything checks out.

Probably if anythign a software glitch. If there was something physically wrong with the hardware I would heard a bigger stinct from some of my peeps in Engineering.

The whole ruse by vader and overexaggerated reactions over there was just to compensate for the boredom on another month's extension. It was fun while it lasted.

Don

if its the same person i'm thinking of, i believe his source said anywhere from a 2 month delay to...you don't want to know. i believe the op also said his source had always been truthful.

remember the spotbeam problem with dtv 10? did dtv ever own up to the problem? i don't remember for sure. if they did, it was after both dbs talk and satguys had reported the problem.

Doug Brott just posted there that everything will be fine. Now they are all feeling much better!

How is DirecTv planning to make this additional Ka bandwidth available in L-Band? While I'm sure that their existing receivers can tune from 250 to 2150 MHz internally when the 101 degres slot is selected, I don't see where they could place these bands for multiple dwelling unit distribution, since all four trunkline coaxes are virtually saturated at present. It seems to me that whatever they carry on this bird will not be available to most MDU customers, nor to most residents who have self installed their own SWM8 based systems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts