D12 satellite - now we're receiving signals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For whats is worth, from a equipment standpoint looks like the current promo of the Free HDDVR/Free HD recivever goes untill mid July, according to the Directv Website

As a Dish sub, I really hope there's nothing wrong with this bird. Competition is good for all consumers.

If there is a massive failure what would this mean for Direct's HD plans in the short, medium, and long term? Does Direct have any spare capacity from other older satellites that could help out (like Dish which is using two sats at 61.5 and testing a third)?

As a Dish sub, I really hope there's nothing wrong with this bird. Competition is good for all consumers.

If there is a massive failure what would this mean for Direct's HD plans in the short, medium, and long term? Does Direct have any spare capacity from other older satellites that could help out (like Dish which is using two sats at 61.5 and testing a third)?

This is what I would like to know. I mean you can't advertise all this stuff and not have a backup plan in case something goes wrong. Can you? Nevermind. Don't answer that. You know they ain't getting rid of PPV's.

this is what i would do Hemi just to be safe.
I'm still thinking, I mean I did get that MLB EI deal, and a Free upgrade.
Thats whats making this so hard.
I'm trying to get out of paying 2 bills this month.

If I drop E* tomorrow as planned , I won't have to pay them again.

Nothing is on E* right now that I can't get with D*, Except
Hallmark Movie channel , Which the Wife loves.
And Yes a bunch of other HD channels, But mostly Premiums, which I don't even subscribe to right now.
I can live with some SD .
I think I'm going to still go with D*:up
If I get an HR 22, I'll refuse the install. Right then and there.

All I can say is we will have to tune to Scott G's weekly radio on Tuesday nights to know what he actually knows or has heard. Stay tuned. BREAKING STORY !!!

And Yes a bunch of other HD channels, But mostly Premiums, which I don't even subscribe to right now.
Wait until Monday and see you like the New HD channels.

after reading these details you posted i would just go for D*. especially since you need to go down to one bill. and yes D* gave you a sweet deal so if that will make you happy for awhile then yes i agree with you. refuse the hr22 for sure. 23 at least or forget it.

I suppose there is some spare capacity on D10 and/or D11, but not much. There is also Spaceway 1 which at the moment is basically dormant. But as they also have a need to get locals off of 72.5, I don't know they have much real "spare capacity" at 99 to 103 besuides that used for PV channels (I alsways consider that optional spare capacity if things got ugly). Unused spectrum at 110 and 119 also may be in the contingency plan mix. Just guessing on my part, though.

OK guys lets not panic yet.

Read this.
From Page 6 of the filing

We also believe we currently have one of the most extensive national HD channel offerings as well as the largest lineup of 1080p movies in the MVPD industry. Additionally, when our DIRECTV 12 satellite is put into service in the second quarter of 2010, we expect to have the capacity to broadcast approximately 200 national HD channels to nearly all U.S. television households. As part of this rollout, we plan on offering local channels in HD to 19 additional markets, bringing the total number of HD local channel markets to 157—covering over 95% of television homes. Subscribers receiving local HD channels will generally only receive the channels broadcast in their home market. Additionally, in 2010 we plan on being one of the first MVPD providers to offer dedicated 3D programming by introducing three 3D channels to our HD customers who have purchased 3D television sets.

This came from this Filing TODAY.
DIRECTV HOLDINGS LLC - Registration Statement

Last edited:
To say the least, without D12 there is essentially "very little" open capacity for national HD. There are no extra birds to move around like someone asked above.

I'm also not sure how much faith to put in the SEC filing above either, as it was probably written days ago and DirecTV will make an SEC filing different from previous statements only if/when they determine there is an actual failure.

Who knows why they changed the marketing from a future of 200 HD channels, but I doubt it is related simply because it would be acknowledging failure without properly releasing it.

I'm sure they are very careful if a failure is determined to prevent insider trading and SEC violations and not make any communication changes based on that until an announcement is made.

The continous extensions of testing time is certainely not a good sign though.

They would have to turn off some HD PPV Channels if D12 is a failure(not that is) and I think they would need to focus on VOD for HD PPV's instead of using bandwidth on the birds for it. Extending the testing another term is concerning because it isn't a good sign at all. With D11 there was problems with the bird but I don't recall them extending testing like this.

To say the least, without D12 there is essentially "very little" open capacity for national HD. There are no extra birds to move around like someone asked above.

I'm also not sure how much faith to put in the SEC filing above either, as it was probably written days ago and DirecTV will make an SEC filing different from previous statements only if/when they determine there is an actual failure.

Who knows why they changed the marketing from a future of 200 HD channels, but I doubt it is related simply because it would be acknowledging failure without properly releasing it.

I'm sure they are very careful if a failure is determined to prevent insider trading and SEC violations and not make any communication changes based on that until an announcement is made.

The continous extensions of testing time is certainely not a good sign though.

I highly doubt that they have a MAJOR problem with the sat.

This sat is the one that they had as a back up from when the last one went up if I recall.

Yeah, but they elected to sit on their laurels for a very long time and cut costs, with many predicting that the cost savings was a setup to sell directv to someone else.

Now its not a backup, at best its catch up. They're in 3rd place, at best, with regards to general HD channels. Yeah, I like sports too but if 1/3 or more of what I watch is in SD stretched out to wide screen (and it is), and the only correction for it is waiting another 2-3 years and another couple of hundred million to launch another satellite (and if d12 is bad, it is), then I'm off to other pastures.

Maybe I'm just annoyed because the wife and I watched 4 shows this evening and 3 of them were in 4:3 SD stretched to widescreen.

Yeah, but they elected to sit on their laurels for a very long time and cut costs, with many predicting that the cost savings was a setup to sell directv to someone else.

Now its not a backup, at best its catch up. They're in 3rd place, at best, with regards to general HD channels. Yeah, I like sports too but if 1/3 or more of what I watch is in SD stretched out to wide screen (and it is), and the only correction for it is waiting another 2-3 years and another couple of hundred million to launch another satellite (and if d12 is bad, it is), then I'm off to other pastures.

Maybe I'm just annoyed because the wife and I watched 4 shows this evening and 3 of them were in 4:3 SD stretched to wide screen.

I am so sick of 4:3 SD too..... if this new satellite fails I predict a mass exodus from DirecTV. Since I cannot get fios I may go back to inferior bright house networks if these channels don't pan out. In 2007 they said they were the leader... without D12 they have pretty much the least HD nationally. I want that list of 65 or pretty close to it or they can say gooodbye to MANY OF US.

KA dvb s2 signals was a bad move for the pizza dish :rant:

:)In 2005 Soon more then 150 HD (At that time 22 HD's)

:DIn 2007 "soon" more then 150 HD
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcrt7OzJS8c"]YouTube - Back to the Future Direct TV Commercial[/ame]

Today Soon more then 200 Hd....*Edit* :confused:*Edit* We Have 130 HD [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-wjVpvHp1k"]YouTube - The Sky is Falling[/ame]

Once we know the fate of D12 this thread will look quite foolish or well founded.

Last edited:
This is serious business and there's little place for "fooling around to break the tension".

You bring up an important point: my analyses and those of others here are largely speculative. We're making guesses based on history and fundamental laws of physics. The only real data we have are the TLEs and how much time has elapsed salted with occasional appearance of an extension request.

The other site's DIRECTV moderators seem to be bent on assuring that everything is nominal with D12 but the source of their confidence is never identified in even the most general terms. Even with obvious uncertainty of the ongoing testing schedule, they continue to insist that everything is proceeding according to plan. If this was the plan, why didn't DIRECTV apply for an "up to 90 days" testing STA in the first place?
My guess that any delay that might be occuring would have a lot to do with the BSS payload, and the fact that Spectrum Five seems to be absolutly intent on preventing D* from doing anything BSS related. I wouldn't blame directv if they wished to have as nuch time as possible testing the BSS payload. According to FCC Filings, Spectrum Five has sought to prevent or delay Directv from testing or operating any sort of BSS payload for years. No doubt Spectrum Five would like to be first operating in the BSS Band. Anyhoo! Just a thought.

Anyone else read the S-4? Check out page 34 in pdf form:

For example, we purchased launch insurance covering a portion of our DIRECTV 12 satellite, which we launched at the end of 2009, and launch vehicle costs in the event of a total loss of the satellite prior to separation from the launch vehicle, but did not purchase in-orbit insurance for it.

No idea if that is standard for D* or not, but if something is wrong with D12, ouch!

My guess that any delay that might be occuring would have a lot to do with the BSS payload, and the fact that Spectrum Five seems to be absolutly intent on preventing D* from doing anything BSS related. I wouldn't blame directv if they wished to have as nuch time as possible testing the BSS payload. According to FCC Filings, Spectrum Five has sought to prevent or delay Directv from testing or operating any sort of BSS payload for years. No doubt Spectrum Five would like to be first operating in the BSS Band. Anyhoo! Just a thought.

The recently requested STA extensions have asked for KA testing, not BSS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts