Damn NFL!

Yes, but if you are already subscribed to NFL Sunday Tickets or Peacock, they will jack up price year after years to come... :rolleyes: :p :hatsoff
As will all TV services, Charter, Comcast and now, as of 2023, DirecTV, have two increases a year.

This I think is key. I took advantage of the Peacock black Friday special, but have it set to not renew when it is done. But my friend ended up buying Peacock for a month and now has it set to cancel - so in essence, it is a $5.99 PPV event. No desire to see anything else in Peacock.

I have the same BF deal, since I only watch Big Ten/NFL Football, I see no need to upgrade to the no commercials plan, I find that NBC and Peacock‘s scripted programming really sucks.

Yes, but if you are already subscribed to NFL Sunday Tickets or Peacock, they will jack up price year after years to come... :rolleyes: :p :hatsoff

And like all things, you judge the value proposition when the time comes to make that decision. If it's too much then I pass, if it's too much for some it pushes them to the gray markets, etc. It's all a balance.

Why would they care?

You pay the rates for what is on, the commercials that NBC aired during the same time, would not even been there if the game was on NBC, or they would possibly be paying more.

Ad slots are not random, advertisers pay more for slots during SNF vs slots for La Brea for example.

The NFL does not care, they received $110 million ( which goes to the owners)for that game, they are quite happy

Why would they care?

You pay the rates for what is on, the commercials that NBC aired during the same time, would not even been there if the game was on NBC, or they would possibly be paying more.

Ad slots are not random, advertisers pay more for slots during SNF vs slots for La Brea for example.

The NFL does not care, they received $110 million ( which goes to the owners)for that game, they are quite happy
Actually they care very much...advertising is what enables the networks to pay outrageous sums for NFL contracts...fewer viewers = less advertisers = less income = lower prices for NFL products...Peacock needed away to increase viewership but cannibalizing advertising revenue is not a path to prosperity

Actually they care very much...advertising is what enables the networks to pay outrageous sums for NFL contracts...fewer viewers = less advertisers = less income = lower prices for NFL products...Peacock needed away to increase viewership but cannibalizing advertising revenue is not a path to prosperity
Advertising only pays for some of outrageous sums paid to the NFL. The extortion of monies from the satellite and cable companies goes a long way to profitability at the cost to the consumer.

Advertising only pays for some of outrageous sums paid to the NFL. The extortion of monies from the satellite and cable companies goes a long way to profitability at the cost to the consumer.
Not really...that goes to the local channels ..back in the day..the networks paid the local channels...now it's vice versa.if the networks weren't making a killing...they wouldn't pay outrageous sums

Not really...that goes to the local channels ..back in the day..the networks paid the local channels...now it's vice versa.if the networks weren't making a killing...they wouldn't pay outrageous sums
Remember, just like you said, the local channels are paying the networks today. That incoming money to the networks can easily supplement payments to the NFL.

Remember, just like you said, the local channels are paying the networks today. That incoming money to the networks can easily supplement payments to the NFL.
The local channel gets about a buck a subscriber..maybe 2...more in bigger markets....so you pay dish $12...they skim off profit...so the rest gets split among the local stations...lets be generous..$2 a sub....Big cities cost much more than small markets...$24 a year...maybe 100k take that local channel in most markets ( dish only has 8 million subs now and their are 150 or so markets) that's roughly 2.5 million a year...it costs in labor and electricity that much a month for a local station...the station wins by getting more viewers via dish...dish gains more subs with local channels but unless the station is in a large market..sub fees are not a bonanza..they just help cover operating costs

The local channel gets about a buck a subscriber..maybe 2...more in bigger markets....so you pay dish $12...they skim off profit...so the rest gets split among the local stations...lets be generous..$2 a sub....Big cities cost much more than small markets...$24 a year...maybe 100k take that local channel in most markets ( dish only has 8 million subs now and their are 150 or so markets) that's roughly 2.5 million a year...it costs in labor and electricity that much a month for a local station...the station wins by getting more viewers via dish...dish gains more subs with local channels but unless the station is in a large market..sub fees are not a bonanza..they just help cover operating costs
You put that out there, I would like to see some evidence (links) that backs up your claims.

By the way, advertising monies are down 50-75% for local, networks and cable channels, all advertising slots are very heavily discounted except for Football.

If local stations did not have per sub fees, they would already be in the unprofitable range, instead of heading into.

Luckily for local stations, election year, so that will help quite a bit with advertising.

You put that out there, I would like to see some evidence (links) that backs up your claims.

By the way, advertising monies are down 50-75% for local, networks and cable channels, all advertising slots are very heavily discounted except for Football.

If local stations did not have per sub fees, they would already be in the unprofitable range, instead of heading into.

Luckily for local stations, election year, so that will help quite a bit with advertising.
What link do you want?

Dish charges $12 a month for locals

There are 150 or so markets...each station gets between 1-2 bucks per sub
I don't have a market by market per sub breakdown but we know dish has 8 million subs. We don't know how many take locals...so they have theoretical budget of 12 x 8million that needs to be split in 150 markets..its not a bonanza for local stations...its not that big of a pie to split

Getting back to the statement that started this rabbit hole ... yeah, just imagine. You bought advertising on a streaming game and had your advertisement shown on one of the most streamed programs in history.

Why are we assuming these advertisers were charged the same rate as a traditional national broadcast, and there weren't additional terms and perks related to advertising on Peacock that make it worth their while?

This is one of those tangents that I don't really understand why people go down, we don't have any data to go off of to actually judge something that means literally nothing to anyone on this forum to begin with.

And now you've drawn our Juan and he's just making things up :oldlaugh

What link do you want?

Dish charges $12 a month for locals

There are 150 or so markets...each station gets between 1-2 bucks per sub
I don't have a market by market per sub breakdown but we know dish has 8 million subs. We don't know how many take locals...so they have theoretical budget of 12 x 8million that needs to be split in 150 markets..its not a bonanza for local stations...its not that big of a pie to split
And Comcast gets $31, Charter gets $25.

Prove what you posted , that stations get only $1-2 dollars each.

Last edited:
A better question may be, why does anyone here care?
I do not, I left Comcast when they started Broadcast/RSN fees, which was the start of mine ( and I assume others) march towards streaming.

Dropped Video from them, first went to PS Vue, the rest is history.

I do not, I left Comcast when they started Broadcast/RSN fees, which was the start of mine ( and I assume others) march towards streaming.

Dropped Video from them, first went to PS Vue, the rest is history.
Comcast and spectrum carry all diginets...divide total local channels by cost of local channels....but I was talking Dish...don't know or care how much cable pays