Danger 4096 found turned back on.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
It was brought to my attention that 4096 has been turned back on on various satellites. G1, C3, G0, W5 & X4. This can only mean Motorola is planning some sort of kill to any of us left with 4096. I'm back to protect mode till I do some investigating.

It was brought to my attention that 4096 has been turned back on on various satellites. G1, C3, G0, W5 & X4. This can only mean Motorola is planning some sort of kill to any of us left with 4096. I'm back to protect mode till I do some investigating.

I take it that those of us that have converted to the 4160 EMM (HITS) are safe?

Bummer! I'm at work right now, and I'm pretty sure I left my 922 on C3. I guess I'll see if there's been any monkey business in a few hours.

Cheers

I'm still showing EMM of 4160 but I have parked on G4 until I hear 'all clear'

If that's the case, would Motorola get into trouble if they fouled up our receivers, after the 4096 kill deadline? Surely, they wouldn't do that???

Does anyone know if the maps are in any of those feeds? I can get G0 and W5 pretty well. G0-101 is currently playing Showtime in the clear. My TDT is at 1920, so if I am to be able to convert to the X4 package, I must do a master reset. But, if I do that, at best I'll get nothing but X4, and will not be able to use my 4dtv to steer my dish for a fta receiver, which I need to do. But, if maps are on G0 or W5, then I should be able to do a master reset and reload the maps and then do the 4 step conversion procedure. But, for that to work, the maps must be on some channel/transponder. Does anyone know the situation with EMM 4096 turned on? (I can't get G1 because it is too low on the horizon with trees interfering.)

I just got a rehit from skyvision. I will be subscribing thru them by the end of January. My Guide is slowly appearing so I do have the 4160 in my system.
I will repark my dish on G4 until TVRO investigate this situation.

If your converted to 4160 this is not an issue. If your still on 4096 waiting till the CK dies it can die now. All you need to do is take a hit. With Showtime ITC this weekend they could be using it as bait. The only other explanation is that they turned it on at the request of Skyvision to act as a homing signal because of the conversion to help with the screwed up receivers. I was recording off Showtime this morning (before I knew of this) and did not take a hit but that don't mean that there gearing up something. I think they are mostly interested in shutting down our good category key early. :( Bummer!

I could only imagine the Motorola receiver is yours but the 4096 stream is theirs. Also I would imagine that the software is theirs too. Just speculation & my own theory.

Does anyone know if the maps are in any of those feeds? I can get G0 and W5 pretty well. G0-101 is currently playing Showtime in the clear. My TDT is at 1920, so if I am to be able to convert to the X4 package, I must do a master reset. But, if I do that, at best I'll get nothing but X4, and will not be able to use my 4dtv to steer my dish for a fta receiver, which I need to do. But, if maps are on G0 or W5, then I should be able to do a master reset and reload the maps and then do the 4 step conversion procedure. But, for that to work, the maps must be on some channel/transponder. Does anyone know the situation with EMM 4096 turned on? (I can't get G1 because it is too low on the horizon with trees interfering.)

The only way to find out would be to do a MR on G0 and see if maps load.

I went to GB 403 and get the JCTV and CCTV4 ok. All my previous satellites are still in tack plus all the generics tiles still in place.
So far, so good!

I checked GB 403 & 410 they are not in the stream when I checked. Don't know if that will change, HITS on X4 & W5, Showtimes C3 & GO, & HBO are in the stream. I thought they threw that 486 out the other day. They could have turned the stream back on for the entertainment value they are getting out of reading our posts. Stupid Motorola.

4096 is back?

I am guessing that it could be back for any of the following reasons.

1 - Motorola are using it to send out desub hits to all residential subscribers, because technically there should be nobody requiring 4096 category keys. Meaning - they now realize that people are getting extended subscriptions for free, because their old subscriptions aren't being turned off. I know of a few people who are still receiving programming, even though their subscriptions have expired. Maybe they just realized the loophole they had created by turning the stream off, without doing a mass desub hit.

2 - Maybe there were some commercial installations that were done using residential equipment, and maybe they need to turn the stream on long enough to assist those units in converting to other new equipment or EMM providers.

3 - Maybe the are doing it to somehow assist SRL/Skyvision in the conversions of the units.. Maybe they're turning on the mapping to allow people to do master resets.. (Out of the goodness of their ice cold hearts? )

I don't believe that there is any sort of 'kill' being sent out to damage our equipment. I do believe that it is possible that they are desubscribing all residential units, just to ensure that everybody switches over to the HITS service (or gets DirecTV/Dish).

I have converted over to the HITS service and am now using EMM provider 4160. I'm quite certain that I am safe to surf the skies, because my unit will no longer accept EMM commands from provider 4096, unless I do an authorization reset... ... which now that I think of it, would be an interesting experiment if someone has a spare unit they can try... Try convert it back to 4096 through an authorization reset and leaving it on one of the channels where 4096 has reappeared.

...They could have turned the stream back on for the entertainment value they are getting out of reading our posts. Stupid Motorola.

I wonder if we're even that important to them. For them, it's probably just another Saturday, lol. At least I don't have to work as late on Saturdays. I'll be home in 2&1/2 hours. Then I shall see if they killed my CK.

Cheers

The only way to find out would be to do a MR on G0 and see if maps load.
I am tempted to do that, except that if the maps do not load, I suspect I could not even convert it to an X4 box. Is this correct? Also, if the maps do not reload, then my understanding is that I could not even use the 4dtv for a dish mover. Is that correct? (Somewhere I saw a post that said that after a master reset, and before channel maps are reloaded, you get a default channel table with, if I recall correctly, something like 16 satellites, with designations that do not match the current satellites. Is this correct? If so, could I just program those satellites for the ones that I want, albeit with wrong names, but adequate to steer my dish and skew settings? For example, I can only receive satellites between about 95 and 120 degrees because of trees. So, that is less than 16 satellites. Could I set, say, S1 (or whatever) on the tiles to be W5, etc? Just so that I can move my dish to discrete satellites and skew settings for an FTA receiver?)

Davage,

I'm with you on item 3. I suggested to TVPro to try the maps since 4096 was back; then this killer thread appears. Skyvision/SRL make reference to having to get Moto to check the problems out, and I believe thats whats happening.

I have been turned on throughout this transition as you can see from my posts. My expereience so far has been there were no "killbits". My thought is that we witnessed an orderly attempt to shutdown the 4096 provider stream. It was down for over a week as far as I could detect, but some receivers weren't able to transition to 4160. This is probably the only way to communicate with those receivers and make necessary tests and corrections. I will continue to watch my 4d and as I said in December I still don't believe in the boogieman.

My TDT is at 1920, so if I am to be able to convert to the X4 package, I must do a master reset. But, if I do that, at best I'll get nothing but X4, and will not be able to use my 4dtv to steer my dish for a fta receiver, which I need to do.

It's not recommended that you do the MR (master reset). Follow these instructions to keep your maps: http://www.skyvision.com/pages/Alternate_letter.pdf

Tvropro has similar instructions. I don't see anything at either website that mentions TDT as an issue.

I never converted to the 4160 but did map X4 & it sat just left of W5. This morning I was watching Discovery on W5-625. After I read this new post, I immediately parked on G3 & disconnected the LNB & checked my EMM Provider & it said "0".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)